U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,076,866 times

Advertisements

At what point would you think it would be safe to say that one should leave the area they are in and go elsewhere to look for work?

I personally have been in the same area for the past nearly 24 years. I have a Computer Science Bachelors and an Associates in Arts and Associates in Science. I mainly am seeing ads for customer service, nursing, and truck driving where I am at.

While there are some programming jobs around me, they are few and almost always require years of experience that I don't have.

I have, of course, tried to apply for jobs outside my field, but have had no luck. I have applied for stuff in the more urban areas, but only got 1 interview from that, actually 2, but one was a 6 month contract, was about an hour and a half from where I live, and in an area (Naperville) that would be too expensive for my budget but rather far to go to every day, and I was wary of that one and so decided not to go to the(interview, which, by the way was scheduled the very day after the initial phone screen, and the other one I went to, the one for a full time position, that was also over an hour from home, that one I didn't get either.

Now, it's been 2.5 years since graduation, and still no job. If I had the dough, I'd move, but since I don't and am stuck at home, it's really hard to do.

(BTW, no I didn't have an internship. The very reason making it hard to get a job now was one of the ones that kept me from going for that, that they'd all be over an hour away and hence limiting my options.

I did have something similar to an internship where I worked on an iphone app, but wasn't able to pick up too much on Objective-C and because I don't have a Mac computer, I couldn't expand upon my skills in that area once the class, which was what it was, ended.)

My problem is, even if I did get like a dozen more interviews from these urban or suburban jobs, I couldn't go to them all as it would cost a lot in gas for a job I might not even get. Luckily, gas is going down so more are reachable than before.

On the flip side, even if I got, say, a data entry job, I don't see how I could rise above that without the funds to move out of the area without a job to fund me there. Thus, unless I can find something HERE that I can get them to consider me more THERE (where the jobs are), then, as far as my degree is concerned, no job is the same as a no transferable skills job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 AM

10,072 posts, read 4,696,696 times
before moving, have you looked "outside" your field in current area? Saves some money in moving if you don't have to.

I'm inclined to say that you have no "field" because you haven't worked in any yet? (or have you? it sounded like you recently graduated and haven't started a professional job yet but you might have before then went back to get degree and looking to get back into field).

Just saying that having a BA, AA, AS does not "qualify" as having a field... you have knowledge of the field, but no experience in it yet.

You don't have to "stick" in the field that the first job is. If you like IT/whatever, all companies have that department now so you can switch over when a position opens up. Getting feet wet with job experience is slightly more beneficial than wasting a long time trying to get into a certain field if you can't get any leads into it fairly close after graduation.

IE: since you mentioned truck drivers, how about the logistics end and looking for a dispatcher job? Then using that to move into a data/operations job or tech support since you'll be used to giving instructions over phone/etc? I realize the pay may not be very high, but it's mostly an experience thing. Dispatch job "may" be one where you could work from home, so you can save up money to move into the city.

Or you could try moving to a larger city, more jobs but more competition too. I'd want job experience first to make myself slightly more competitive though if I had to move.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:14 PM

Yes, I have looked outside my field in data entry and stuff like that. As I said, all I can mainly see around here are customer service (not at all a forte), restaurant stuff (which I have applied for for cook spot but didn't get), sales (not at all a good skill at), truck driver (don't have a license so that's out) and nursing stuff (which, since I don't have the degrees for, that's out too).

I have applied to the other stuff, but it doesn't pan out. Another problem is, I don't know where to look for these jobs as I don't know many company names. I'd like to avoid temp jobs as it's hard enough to land a job the first time, let alone having to do it all over again every couple of months. I've tried Indeed, the Chamber of Commerce, newspapers (sometimes get interviews, but the jobs there are few and never got hired yet from them), Glassdoor, am trying for Illinois jobs right now, have tried Monster (but it seemed a waste there), and all of that. Often I seem to be getting recruiters rather than real companies.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 AM

6,886 posts, read 3,743,330 times
Ok, you've come up with all the logical reasons not to try. Now that we're past that, you need to start looking around the country or if you're not willing to move, accept the fact that you won't have many opportunities. You can't be self limiting and succeed.

Sounds like you recently graduated. Your college should have a career center that can help with resumes, interview skills, and lists of companies hiring in your field, both locally and nationally. You have a BS in Comp Sci, so there is a world of companies to pick from. You should be getting your resume out to everyone from the Lockheeds and Boeings on one end of the scale to financial institutes and lots of small companies. Heck we just outsourced our entire IT operation to a small business that specializes in IT -- over 200 positions.

You need to expand beyond local small businesses into nationwide.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:55 PM

I have sent my resume out to a lot of groups, including staffing agencies. It's not working. Yes, I've applied for data entry and clerical stuff. I am now going to try and apply for state jobs now and see if that can change things.

I think one of my problems, though I'm a bit baffled here as this is on the advice of someone who is from the Department of Rehabilitation Services who had me set my resume up this way, but my resume currently does have degrees and honors but NO skill set. They have no idea if I know Java, C++, etc just by reading it, which makes me think I'm gonna get rejected most of the time. I have questioned this, but she and her assistant said "We've done this before, we know what we're doing."

Currently, it has an objective statement, which, by reading these forums, I have heard is going out of fashion and that, instead of the objective statement, which just asks for a job in computer programming, I should have a summary of qualifications (i.e. what I know). That is just my hunch.

On the flip side, I fear that, by showing a Bachelors and two Associates, by applying for the near minimum wage jobs, I'm looking "overqualified" and am often being rejected as a likely flight risk and thus those aren't working either. Either that, or they think there's something wrong with me because I'm applying for a data entry when I have a Bachelors and nobody has hired me in two years. Problem is, I don't have experience and can only apply for the entry level jobs. There are VERY few of those within a 50 mile radius of me (at least that I know of). I have tried Indeed and Glassdoor and also the regional Chamber of Commerce websites, as well as the newspapers. Though sometimes I get interviews, I have not yet gotten a job.

One thing I can think of is that whenever a cover letter is NOT required, I don't send one. Is that a bad move?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,462,119 times
I'm very surprised you have a person from rehab services telling you to have an objective and not any listing of your skills. If you have training in Java, C++, etc, it really should be listed on your resume. If you're not typically sending a cover letter, they would have no way of knowing what your skills were. And I haven't seen an objective in several years now.

You could always apply in other areas and see if you get interviews and then make a decision to move. But I don't know that I'd discount the Chicago area in general. It's not unheard of to travel an hour or more to work. Is there any reason you can't move closer to a job an hour or more away if you get one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or