U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,070,033 times

Advertisements

I'm noticed that on quite a few job applications, they ask me for a resume, then basically ask me to input it all again in these text fields. Why do they want the resume then? Does anyone know any GOOD reason that they might do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 PM

43,149 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Yes.

In an online app, they are trying to get the info THEY want and need, whereas in a resume, what to include is up to you.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,257,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I'm noticed that on quite a few job applications, they ask me for a resume, then basically ask me to input it all again in these text fields. Why do they want the resume then? Does anyone know any GOOD reason that they might do this?
It's simple. The online app is how HR views you as a candadite, while the hiring manager focuses on the resume.

The text fields create your database entry for the screening program. This lets the HR rep use the software to do things like filter for years of experience, or certain majors, or specific skill sets. When a job could have dozens or hundred of applicants, the manager may change their filtering criteria several times through a hiring process. If you apply for one job, you might still turn up as a possible fit for another at the company. That job might not even be posted yet, but if you're a good fit, they may pass along your resume to the hiring manager.

Which brings us to the reason for the resume. That online field is probably not the exact information you want the hiring manager reading. As the hiring manager, I get your resume. The HR rep screens potential applicants with the form.

For example, if I tell the HR rep, I only want to see people with 3-5 years of experience, but then only get 2 resumes and neither seem that great, I might ask her to relax that restriction and send me 2-7 years experience. Without a program, that means she needs to look through every resume that came in to see if they meet my new request.

It actually just happened today, I received a resume from someone who submitted their application back in November, but we only posted our position online a few weeks ago. The person was applying for a job in a different department, but with similar responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or