U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 PM

157 posts, read 75,901 times

Advertisements

I have had this happen twice. One interviewer slips by saying you will be doing x,y,z instead the person we choose or if you work here and their colleague gives them an obvious pointed look. I understand not wanting to lead candidates on. However, I figure if I was even a solid candidate in their mind they would not react so strongly to a slip. In both instances where that happened, I did not get the job.

Interviewers being late and offering no explanation/apology.
Interviewers being too relaxed/informal-essentially leaving you with the feeling they are going through the motions.

I interviewed for a job once where the supervisor said her manager wanted to meet the top candidates. This manager was in HQ 3 hours away and wanted to meet in person. When I arrived, the manager came out and automatically eyeballed me from head to toe. I got the distinct feeling I was not what she expected and knew I was in trouble. I did not get the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,093,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Had that happen, though it was a waiting room and I had rushed to get there (was nearly late or within less than 10 minutes early as I made a wrong turn) and had to wait an hour for them just to get me in for a 10 minute interview. That was only for a $10/hr job.

I had gone about 90 minutes away for a PHP interview and I think they had me fill out some paperwork once there and then they had the interview, which only lasted about 15 minutes (no I didn't get the job.)

Yeah like I said, I don't think that a sub 15 min interview is an automatic rejection but you are most likely not getting the job. I mean how much can they learn about you, would you be a good fit etc... if your interview went only 15 mins.... Honestly at that point I'd rather just ask "so do you plan on letting me know I got rejected or is this one of those cases where I never hear back from you ever again?"

Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,484,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Especially when the job posting I applied to is still online for weeks after they've contacted me telling me the position has already been filled.
Someone did that recently to my son. Sent him an Email saying the job was filled. The job continued to be posted on Indeed. About a week afterwards, I told him to Email back and ask if the job was in fact filled or could he be reconsidered. He got an interview.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:16 AM
Status: "Now That's What I'm Talking About!" (set 11 days ago)

106 posts, read 15,102 times
Quote:
Are there any telltale signs that they already aren't going to go with you in the interview and are just carrying it out as a formality?

For those who have been in the job market enough to see enough, what can you tell if it's not going to go your way slightly after you even walk in the door?

(This would be helpful to tell if the interview you're called into is just a formality and they already have an inside guy and you're there to just comply with EOC or if they are upset with your gap or so other silly reason and you're only there for a formality.)

On one interview I went before a panel of about 7 people. One guy sitting on the end of the table just sat there and contorted his face about and made disapproving grunting sounds after every sentence and then interrupted a few times in mid sentence.

(Luckily for me before the interview I was seated outside the interview room and through the door crack I saw him knee slapping and smiling and laughing up a storm over the reaction his pantomime had elicited from the previous candidate.)

Sometimes they mess with you just to see how you will react to different kinds of people and you just got to roll with it.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:37 PM

4,758 posts, read 2,369,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Working in staffing, I can tell you, using feedback I've gotten from candidates and hiring managers, some signs they aren't moving forward:

- Lack of eye contact or mundane responses to thoughtful interview questions.
- Prying into weaknesses or perceived negative info on resume (gaps in employment, why a job was x amount of years, etc). A little bit of this is normal, but if that's all they're doing... they doubt you can do this job or want to find a reason to give you the axe.
- The interviewee can't succinctly explain skills.
- No connection (personally, to their BG, personality, whatever)
- Informative and short interview (no conversational flow to interview)
- Interviewer rushes through the motions
- No follow up (you'll hear back in x days, we have y amount of people we're interviewing)
- They take their time with feedback. If they want you, they'll let it be known because they don't want to lose you. Good employers will give feedback that denotes a rejection quickly, too, so it's not always a sure thing.
All good points.

Another negative is when an interviewer lets you know they're perplexed as to why you applied for the job in the first place. "I'm not sure why you would want this job" which is different than the standard sell of "why do you want to work here?"

Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM

86 posts, read 17,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
All good points.

Another negative is when an interviewer lets you know they're perplexed as to why you applied for the job in the first place. "I'm not sure why you would want this job" which is different than the standard sell of "why do you want to work here?"
I agree. However I've also found it rude and a waste of time on both the interviewer and the interviewee. If the interviewer is that confused, he/she doesn't know what the heck they're doing. The person should never have been called in in the first place.

Recruitment agencies are renowned for pulling stunts like that. It's all about having a pool of candidates available for other positions, even positions the applicant might not be interested in or have no interest in.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 AM

7,053 posts, read 3,867,770 times
In the government some agencies used to have (maybe some still do) an "interview one, interview all" policy. That is if you reviewed the resumes and decided to interview even one candidate, you had to offer an interview to every candidate. I remember one time have a list for secretary candidates with a hundred names on it. Heck, even today I prefer to either just go off a phone interview or have no interview at all and hire off the resume. It's been years since our office last interviewed someone in person.

The reason for all this is government has a huge target on it with people ready to sue or file a complaint at any opportunity, real or imagined. And once they file, your whole process is held up for months.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM

9,419 posts, read 8,661,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In the government some agencies used to have (maybe some still do) an "interview one, interview all" policy. That is if you reviewed the resumes and decided to interview even one candidate, you had to offer an interview to every candidate.
I have never seen or heard of this. That would be absurd!

I was on 4 recruitment committees this summer, and between the 4 positions I reviewed approximately 150 applications. Probably 120 were complete junk. Interviewing all of those people would have taken weeks.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM

7,053 posts, read 3,867,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have never seen or heard of this. That would be absurd!

I was on 4 recruitment committees this summer, and between the 4 positions I reviewed approximately 150 applications. Probably 120 were complete junk. Interviewing all of those people would have taken weeks.
I agree, it was absurd. But that was the HR rule in that agency. There are a lot of laws pertaining to gov hiring that have nothing to do with good hiring practice and everything to do with some social program that some special interest group has forced in. And then the HR offices interpret those rules in the way least likely to cause a complaint to be filed against them. It's not about efficiency or effectiveness, but about avoiding various discriminations complaints. The complaint doesn't have to have any validity; it just has to be made. Spend any time on gov forums and you'll find a constant line of people wanting to know how to file FOIA requests on why they weren't selected for a job because they just KNOW it had to be discrimination against them. Heck there's even been a few threads in this forum on that subject. It's CYA.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 PM

1,211 posts, read 595,726 times
Quote:
Are there any telltale signs that they already aren't going to go with you in the interview and are just carrying it out as a formality?

For those who have been in the job market enough to see enough, what can you tell if it's not going to go your way slightly after you even walk in the door?

(This would be helpful to tell if the interview you're called into is just a formality and they already have an inside guy and you're there to just comply with EOC or if they are upset with your gap or so other silly reason and you're only there for a formality.)
Usually, body language, vocal tone and facial expression can reveal the "first impression". Closed body language like folded arms, lack of eye contact, glaring, anger or apathy in vocal tone, weak handshake, angled away from you in chair, looking away from you at time in interview, etc. All can be subtle signs.

I remember a couple of interviews where the interviewer "assumed" the person next to me was myself and shook that person's hand while pronouncing my name. I viewed that as subtle racism. I am a brown Native American, and the white manager shook the white person's hand next to me assuming that the person was me. When this happened in Boulder all the other job applicants started laughing because they knew what had happened - the white manager just didn't want me.

Down in South Florida I remember the deep glare of the hiring manager as I presented my background in engineering. I remember thinking "I don't want to work for that guy" because of the glare. It turned out he was the manager. On that contract project the guy was cold with very unrealistic expectations. We mutually agreed at the end not to convert to full time. I just left.

Beware of the personality involved. Some managers don't like it if a person seems quite and doesn't ask enough questions. By contrast, another manager may complain if the person speaks up and sees him or her as insubordinate. Personalities really vary a lot. Find a manager who complements your personality well. You can tell by the tone of the interview.

Best wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDj2fzEGdM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or