U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,070,560 times

Advertisements

I have applied at my community college a couple of times. Some jobs I was even OVER-qualified for. (It required an associates and I had a Bachelors plus two associates and everything else that fit. Didn't get even called in for an interview.

I'm thinking that likely they're either hiring internally most of the time and these posting are EOC stuff or else my gap (2.5 years, though it WASN'T that big when I first started applying there ).

I think that after 3 or 4 applications there and no interviews even, even though it was actually the same community college where I got my own two associates degrees, is a sign that I shouldn't bother there again.

(PS, they KNOW I have an Associates or whatever as they GAVE me it as I graduated from there so it's not like they have to lift much of a finger to verify that I'm telling the truth. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:17 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
From reading between the lines in your various posts, you were trying to get a computer job but you had a significant gap from graduation to application, as well as a lack of formal employment in the computer field, correct?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM

I have tried computer jobs there, yes, but I even tried an assessment center proctor that only required an associates and I have an AA and an AS and a BS and didn't even get an interview. I should have at least gotten an interview for that one in my opinion, gap or not. (And the gap was many months, if not a year smaller, when I had applied for that one.)

Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM

412 posts, read 321,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I have applied at my community college a couple of times. Some jobs I was even OVER-qualified for. (It required an associates and I had a Bachelors plus two associates and everything else that fit. Didn't get even called in for an interview.
Apparently you are completely unaware that being OVER-qualified is actually a negative, not a positive. Employers are rightly concerned that OVER-qualified hires will soon leave for a better paying position for which they are merely qualified. It's easiest and most cost effective to not hire an OVER-qualified individual in the first place.

This has been covered in numerous career articles and forums for years.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
how much time between the jobs did you apply? Or rather, what's changed between when you first applied, and the 4th time? Did you add anything to your skill set? Basically, if they turned you down before, what makes you a "better" candidate now?

I'm hoping you weren't just counting on having to compete against no one the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times or that you might get lucky and the competition was just "worse" this time around... you might end up waiting a long time if that's your strategy since time degrades your competitiveness if you don't stay active in keeping it up/adding to it.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM

For the assessment center proctor, I already had the skills to begin with. In fact, I had OVER what they wanted. Adding more isn't likely to get me any better.

And no, other than perhaps programming languages, am not sure what new skills I can pick up if nobody hires me.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 PM

17,249 posts, read 10,176,823 times
After the first rejection.

If a company wanted you, they'd have let you know, even if it were for another position you were more 'qualified' for.

You should get the hint after the first rejection.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 PM

292 posts, read 266,530 times
maybe consider changing the way you are applying (ie: changing resume and cover letter)

Old 01-30-2016, 05:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
If you have no job experience, then you are not overqualified. You may have to look for contract or contract-to-hire positions to get some experience.

Look towards your employeed peers that graduated from your college. They may be able to help you with correcting any job search issues or provide leads to entry level jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search