Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,230 times

Advertisements

I think it's bad form to ask an organization to expedite its hiring process for a candidate

A US Company that seconds people to serve in a multilateral organization has nominated me for a position. I would take this job if offered. However, a large US beltway bandit formally offered me a job. The multilateral organization has to review my app and then interview me. 75-80% of candidates that are nominated are ultimately chosen by the multilateral. The multilateral org normally takes 4-7 weeks to review the applicants file.

Would it be considered rude to ask the US Company to request that the multilateral organization to review my app at their earliest convenience to determine if their is interest in me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
One job offer received is better than 5 job interviews that may or may not result in anything.

I would contact the first company and tell then politely that you have received a job offer ou are entertaining but that they are absolutely your first choice and would it be possible to speed things up a little.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Do you need to move for the job you got offered? Or rather how much time do you estimate it'll be until you'll know about the job you want?

It burns the bridges some but it may not be bad to take the offered job if it doesn't require you to move or commit, then quit once you get offered at next job. Even trying out the first job for a month or two, you might find you like it. The 4-7 weeks is just a review, not even time to offer possibly, so you could be waiting for longer. It may not really burn the bridge that badly, (I mean completely down), if you take job work a few months and find out it just wasn't a good fit for you.

It's just, if you do take first job, treat it like it is your "first" pick, and give it your best effort at it. If it doesn't work out, but they know you put in your best at it, they may not hold it as much against you if you leave. But if you just slack and treat it like the 2nd place prize/temp job, it shows and they won't be happy about it.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Do you need to move for the job you got offered? Or rather how much time do you estimate it'll be until you'll know about the job you want?

It burns the bridges some but it may not be bad to take the offered job if it doesn't require you to move or commit, then quit once you get offered at next job. Even trying out the first job for a month or two, you might find you like it. The 4-7 weeks is just a review, not even time to offer possibly, so you could be waiting for longer. It may not really burn the bridge that badly, (I mean completely down), if you take job work a few months and find out it just wasn't a good fit for you.

It's just, if you do take first job, treat it like it is your "first" pick, and give it your best effort at it. If it doesn't work out, but they know you put in your best at it, they may not hold it as much against you if you leave. But if you just slack and treat it like the 2nd place prize/temp job, it shows and they won't be happy about it.
Hi...I would need to move. One job is in DC the dream job is OCONUS. I would not want to take middle management job and quit within two years. It's bad form.

I am asking if it's ok to ask the multilateral organization to take a look at me and decide if they want to pursue me or not.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:11 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
How to Juggle a Job Offer When You're Waiting for Another - US News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search