U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should employers value more?
Experience 19 82.61%
Education 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:14 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,880,354 times

Advertisements

I think experience moreso over education. Education is what you get so you can get experience once hired, but if you already have good experience then education I believe is looked at a bit less. I see many job postings stating a degree in the field or equivalent experience. Though not true for every field, many can be self taught with experience. Obviously being a doctor will require education no matter what, but many other fields I believe are not always nessesary to earn a degree and can succeed in by gaining experience.

I do agree to some extent with what you said, some employers are looking for degrees with jobs that shouldnt even require it. For example, I just seen a job listing for administrative position, tiny owned store, mostly book keeping work seeking someone with a degree - pays $8-9 hourly.. if I got my degree I sure wouldnt be looking for that pay range. The description was basic office work, answer phones, data entry ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,393,432 times
Well education because you have to start somewhere. How can we look down on college grads because they dont have experience? Someone has to give them a shot. I believe experience is overrated. They were learning in the classroom. Just because you have been at a job for x number of years doesn't mean you should get a promotion.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 PM

387 posts, read 371,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Well education because you have to start somewhere. How can we look down on college grads because they dont have experience? Someone has to give them a shot. I believe experience is overrated. They were learning in the classroom. Just because you have been at a job for x number of years doesn't mean you should get a promotion.
Negative, those x years of experience actually mean something. You worked so hard and gained so much skills and if your given the promotion I'm sure you can really prove yourself. And as I explained earlier there has been discrimination towards non-college graduates. Seriously employers need to lighten up because 20 or 30 years ago they weren't like that.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,482,165 times
It really depends on the job. Ideally, you'd have both lots of experience and a solid education. Realistically, you're going to be stronger in one than the other. Education by itself doesn't guarantee a good fit/future success, but really, neither does experience, necessarily. It really depends on the job. There's no way to answer your poll without knowing which job and what kind of education/experience.

I've been on interviewing committees and we've asked applicants about their future plans (e.g., where do you see yourself in 5 years; what goals do you have for yourself, etc). Applicants who can't answer that aren't usually kept in our "consider" pile. We aren't looking for any specific answer, but we are looking for something that implies the applicant has thought about the future and has some direction. Someone who wants to gain more experience in a specific area (related to the job) or additional education related to the job gets higher marks than someone who is obviously using this job as a stepping stone to a better job or one who doesn't have any goals past getting a job. If you know you are lacking educational credits but you have experience, and you are in a field that values education, I'd be sure to say something about wanting to get some additional training/education in xyz. That shows them you see that your lack of education might be a negative, but you're going to tackle that. You may not feel that way inside, but it's better than being defensive about whatever your resume lacks.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM

403 posts, read 322,141 times
Should be experience because you will know the person would be able to fit right into the position and do the job.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:50 PM

6,935 posts, read 3,796,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Negative, those x years of experience actually mean something. You worked so hard and gained so much skills and if your given the promotion I'm sure you can really prove yourself. And as I explained earlier there has been discrimination towards non-college graduates. Seriously employers need to lighten up because 20 or 30 years ago they weren't like that.
What drives your assumption the experience actually led to any skills whatsoever? I've known many people who claimed "X years experience." Except they didn't; they had one year of experience X times. Big difference. Many never really advance much beyond entry level skills. Once they learn to do the job, they go on autopilot and never improve beyond there. So why should they get a promotion they haven't grown for?

Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What drives your assumption the experience actually led to any skills whatsoever? I've known many people who claimed "X years experience." Except they didn't; they had one year of experience X times. Big difference. Many never really advance much beyond entry level skills. Once they learn to do the job, they go on autopilot and never improve beyond there. So why should they get a promotion they haven't grown for?
Actually some have advanced beyond the entry level. You know you earn the promotion and be placed on a trial period. For example, you could be promoted to an assistant manager at a fast food restaurant after working as a general laborer for some time. Now about the trial period they could get demoted depending on the circumstances.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
In case you haven't noticed most people voted experience over education on the poll.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,745,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
It really depends on the job. Ideally, you'd have both lots of experience and a solid education. Realistically, you're going to be stronger in one than the other. Education by itself doesn't guarantee a good fit/future success, but really, neither does experience, necessarily. It really depends on the job. There's no way to answer your poll without knowing which job and what kind of education/experience.

I've been on interviewing committees and we've asked applicants about their future plans (e.g., where do you see yourself in 5 years; what goals do you have for yourself, etc). Applicants who can't answer that aren't usually kept in our "consider" pile. We aren't looking for any specific answer, but we are looking for something that implies the applicant has thought about the future and has some direction. Someone who wants to gain more experience in a specific area (related to the job) or additional education related to the job gets higher marks than someone who is obviously using this job as a stepping stone to a better job or one who doesn't have any goals past getting a job. If you know you are lacking educational credits but you have experience, and you are in a field that values education, I'd be sure to say something about wanting to get some additional training/education in xyz. That shows them you see that your lack of education might be a negative, but you're going to tackle that. You may not feel that way inside, but it's better than being defensive about whatever your resume lacks.
Heaven forbid someone just wants to work. I'm so sick and tired of you hr types and your bs arrogance. Throwing away perfectly good candidates over an idiotic question simply boggles the mind. You hr types really get off on looking down your nose at others don't you? Absolutely disgusting. Who knows where they will be in 5-10 years, let alone if the company will still exist.

Last edited by jma501; 02-01-2016 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Heaven forbid someone just wants to work. I'm so sick and tired of you hr types and your bs arrogance. Throwing away perfectly good candidates over an idiotic question simply boggles the mind. You hr types really get off on looking down your nose at others don't you? Absolutely disgusting.
You said it my friend. Those HR types seriously need to get a grip. They are so good at screwing people over and I despise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or