U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should employers value more?
Experience 19 82.61%
Education 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,741,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
You said it my friend. Those HR types seriously need to get a grip. They are so good at screwing people over and I despise them.
In the long run they are only screwing themselves as, thanks to their inane questions, they hire the most proficient liars. Meanwhile the guy who just wants to work and is honest about it and who would be an excellent employee stays unemployed. Who knows where they will be in 5 to 10 years let alone if the company will still exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 PM

387 posts, read 370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
In the long run they are only screwing themselves as, thanks to their inane questions, they hire the most proficient liars. Meanwhile the guy who just wants to work and is honest about it and who would be an excellent employee stays unemployed. Who knows where they will be in 5 to 10 years let alone if the company will still exist.
Again you are really speaking some truth. That one HR who you were just criticizing is a professional liar itself. Some I just don't what to say when you make these posts then again, you are really speaking some truth. HRs really shouldn't ask those questions. They had me blinded for a while but now my head is on straight. CHEERS.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 PM

189 posts, read 134,714 times
If employers only cared about experience I would never get very far in life, because I suck at social networking and was planted into a new environment in my senior year with no social connections *at all* and that's how people "get experience" when they start out. Why should any employer hire some unknown high school graduate over someone who someone in their company knows? Education is supposed to be a mark of competency, even though it is by far not the best metric in the U.S. because schools are pumping out graduates to be "generally good" and not "good for this job" - but you can still use it to learn a bit about random people who apply to your job based on grades and degree, and give unconnected people a chance (if the job is technical and not socially oriented at least).

Old 02-01-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
If employers only cared about experience I would never get very far in life, because I suck at social networking and was planted into a new environment in my senior year with no social connections *at all* and that's how people "get experience" when they start out. Why should any employer hire some unknown high school graduate over someone who someone in their company knows? Education is supposed to be a mark of competency, even though it is by far not the best metric in the U.S. because schools are pumping out graduates to be "generally good" and not "good for this job" - but you can still use it to learn a bit about random people who apply to your job based on grades and degree, and give unconnected people a chance (if the job is technical and not socially oriented at least).
Here's one problem. A lot of employers refuse to hire non-college graduates even if the position doesn't require a degree. For example if you have an Associate's of Arts you can easily get hired as a frycook. Frankly I'd rather earn the minimum wage as a high school dropout than as a college graduate.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:49 AM

4,380 posts, read 8,034,720 times
I value experience more in general. However, that doesn't mean education doesn't matter. And this is the flaw I find with these type of questions. It leads people to think in a Black/White manner. And it's never going to be like that. In the end, there is no "right" answer.

You have different "goals" when it comes to hiring. I may be trying to fill a current experience void, or build a team. Depending on what I need I would weigh/prioritize different attributes differently.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I value experience more in general. However, that doesn't mean education doesn't matter. And this is the flaw I find with these type of questions. It leads people to think in a Black/White manner. And it's never going to be like that. In the end, there is no "right" answer.

You have different "goals" when it comes to hiring. I may be trying to fill a current experience void, or build a team. Depending on what I need I would weigh/prioritize different attributes differently.
Will it would depend on the occupation. For example you would need a degree to become a doctor or a lawyer. Now to be a fast food worker or a trash collector you would not need a degree for that. You see what I mean.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 PM

363 posts, read 312,440 times
Good experience is more valuable and harder to obtain than any kind of education from any kind of school. But that's just my opinion.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Good experience is more valuable and harder to obtain than any kind of education from any kind of school. But that's just my opinion.
Will you can obtain if you work long enough.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM

2,967 posts, read 2,054,018 times
This can depend on what type of job is being sought. If it's a very people intensive job, there are some aspects of excelling at that job that can only be done by doing it for long enough. If the job demands the latest in technology and science in an industry where the rules and best practices are changing quickly, 10 years of experience that occurred years ago won't hold the same weight as a stellar, specialized education that was just completed.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 AM

4,727 posts, read 2,327,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Experience is an asset to have until you start reaching your 40s or 50s. Then it becomes a silent detriment because you already know too much, expect too much money, and refuse to take any crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or