U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM

1,168 posts, read 713,527 times

Advertisements

What are some clues that they work people to death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 4,893,172 times
If they list paying for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as "perks"....it's because they expect you to be there throughout those times.

Same deal if they have laundry service, an on-site gym, etc. Usually means you'll rarely get to be home.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM

6,441 posts, read 3,521,931 times
"Unlimited" vacation yet few people take any time off. Company provided iPhone on the condition you are always reachable.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 PM

251 posts, read 143,306 times
Also working areas poorly furnished, or furnished with pieces in poor physical condition. I once interviewed for a job in a place that had broken chairs in the conference room and water stains in the ceiling tiles. Turned out the company was guaranteeing a 13% return to investors by all means possible. Another giveaway was the CEO's rant on how most people aren't sufficiently committed to work. The CFO was a perfect snot about answering questions about the business model--inability to answer thoughtful questions from a candidate who's researched the company is another sign of problems being hidden.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:09 AM

12,671 posts, read 15,115,096 times
High employee turnover, especially for specific positions, you should find out why.

During the interview, they don't let you speak with other staff members or limit you access to certain people or areas.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,976,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
"Unlimited" vacation yet few people take any time off. Company provided iPhone on the condition you are always reachable.
Hah! My little firm has unlimited vacation, but it is more built on the premise that you are an adult and a professional and you know when time away from work will not be disruptive to your engagements (I work in consulting).

The big signs for me (and I see this within clients as well) are the following:
  • Turnover - if you see the same job advertised all the time, run don't walk away
  • The "vibe" of the place - you can get a sense when you walk in the door and just observe people. I remember an interview I went to when I had to sit with an employee and observe them so I could see if this would be a job I wanted. The girl seemed nervous, she was rushing to hurry and get started, she barely answered any questions I had because she said she needed to start her calls. Beside her, I could hear a manager come to another employee and remind them that as they had already explained the little plant and picture of their family needed to be taken home as personal items at the desks were heavily discouraged.
  • Decor, office building, etc - granted some small places are just starting so they may in lower class office buildings, but what do the desks look like, does the company invest anything in the environment for the employees? Or does it look like misery.
  • Glassdoor reviews
  • Tenure of employees - sometimes this is a positive, but if there are big gaps between everyone has worked there for 20 years and only one or two people for a year or less it may mean they grind out the newcomers fast or have "older" view points on how people should work. I worked in an IT group where the bulk of engineers were older 20+ year veterans. They didn't understand why the newer workers didn't want to be on call perpetually and work 12-16 hour days. The newer generation expected better staffing to give them a more solid work life balance
  • Quality of benefits - same with decor, office supplies, office space - crap benefits for any company of size means that they don't give a **** about the employees
  • Regressive punishment policies - occurrences for taking a sick day? Or "points" when taking a sick day - means that you are expected to be a machine and if you have a situation call life happen then they will heavily penalize you

I had a period in the past 18 months where for about 4-5 months I had no days off and I worked anywhere from 10-12 hours a day. My firm's leaders were heavily concerned about me. Nothing they could do due to the nature of the engagement or project (not like I could be replaced easily and not like I could leverage another colleague in the small firm) but as soon as that time period of the project ended, my employer ensured I didn't get overburdened and that i could be "free" to take some time off. As a professional white collar worker there are times when work can be grueling - doesn't mean that it is a sweat shop. It happens with the work.

I have worked in offices with full cafeterias, doctors, an array of concierge services (dry cleaning, emergency daycare or eldercare, gyms, etc) and sure it was made available so you could be present at work but normally it was considered by employees as a benefit to ensure that they didn't waste personal time trying to get certain things done. Not many people saw it as a sweatshop. I always loved being able to get blood drawn for my semi annual medical checkups (I have an endocrine issue) versus having to go in and out of the doctor's office.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:53 AM

5,066 posts, read 3,238,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
What are some clues that they work people to death?
People laying dead on the shop floor, parking lot, bathroom....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or