U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Yep low quality jobs paying junk wages and no benefits are found on monster and career builder. I uploaded my resume on career builder and all I got was a bunch of staffing agencies offering low wages.

If you want a decent quality job look for the job on the companies website and apply directly not on career builder or monster.
^^ This. And a good site to use is Linkup.com. Jobs are pulled directly from the employers websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,538,222 times
Monster is terrible. I've had good luck with indeed.com.
CareerBuilder is another mostly marketing scam type job site, too.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 PM

403 posts, read 315,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
Multi Level Marketing aka pyramid scheme.

And I'll add to the chorus that Monster sucks, at least in my field (brokerage). Nothing but BS sales/temp/fake/scam job listings.

CareerBuilder can be good if you use the filters in the search, but I found my last couple of jobs via LinkedIn. Also my state's unemployment office had a good job search site as well.
I keep mentioning to everyone on here that their local state unemployment office is a good option for job search but some refuse to listen.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 816,069 times
Indeed is the best and it's not even close.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 PM

799 posts, read 577,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I keep mentioning to everyone on here that their local state unemployment office is a good option for job search but some refuse to listen.
But what if you're not unemployed? Or what if you're looking for work out of state where you plan to relocate?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
But what if you're not unemployed? Or what if you're looking for work out of state where you plan to relocate?
How would you have time to go there if you were not unemployed? lol

Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 PM

799 posts, read 577,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
How would you have time to go there if you were not unemployed? lol
Places do phone interviews. Places set up interviews on days that work for you. Places fly you out and pay for your relocation expenses if they want you bad enough.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Places do phone interviews. Places set up interviews on days that work for you. Places fly you out and pay for your relocation expenses if they want you bad enough.
No I mean the actual career center is for people who are not working at all not someone who is employed. Someone who is employed should be able to get another job from networking with current and past coworkers.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 PM

487 posts, read 849,350 times
At least here in Minnesota, the unemployment office's job search site is publically available

https://minnesotaworks.net/

They also offer classes and services for everyone, regardless if they are employed or not, like stuff like resume writing, networking, basic computer skills, etc.

I think a lot of states and areas are the same, but a lot of people don't know about it.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
At least here in Minnesota, the unemployment office's job search site is publically available

https://minnesotaworks.net/

They also offer classes and services for everyone, regardless if they are employed or not, like stuff like resume writing, networking, basic computer skills, etc.

I think a lot of states and areas are the same, but a lot of people don't know about it.

It's the same here in PA which is how I found my current job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or