U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,373,940 times

Advertisements

Ok if you read any of my previous posts, most know that i wanna relocate from MInnesota back to the East coast. I wanna be closer to family and go back to school. I also want to change careers from help desk to healthcare. So ive been applying for jobs in hospitals mostly. Some schools as well because education is my second love. The problem is that i dont have any IT EXPERIENCE in the healthcare field. I dont have any experience working in a healthcare setting. My co worker thinks i should just get any type of job just to move back and go back to school. However, im making decent money here. So for me to quit a good paying job with benefits to take on any job. Or even a temp job would be moving backwards. But so far, jobs aren't calling me back. I only wanna do IT OR HELP DESK work in a healthcare or education setting. But im starting to wonder if i keep being stubborn. That i will blow my chance to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:20 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,986,698 times
You are certainly limiting your chances. How do you know you want to do IT in health care if you have never worked IT in health care? Or do you just want to work in health care? Health care is pretty broad -- what do you actually want to do?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are certainly limiting your chances. How do you know you want to do IT in health care if you have never worked IT in health care? Or do you just want to work in health care? Health care is pretty broad -- what do you actually want to do?
i was thinking Pa school. I think i would like doing It in healthcare or education. im pretty certain of it.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 AM

8,803 posts, read 13,294,168 times
You want to move back vs you need to have a good job. Your first priority to is have a good job which you do now. That puts you in a tough situation. I personally would like to move the heck out of Illinois to someplace in the south or Tx but good jobs in my field are insanely hard to get and if I did I'd have to take a ridiculous pay cut and probably play around with awful temp agencies again so I say no way.

Keep trying but keep your day job and don't move without another job lined up.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i was thinking Pa school. I think i would like doing It in healthcare or education. im pretty certain of it.
What is your undergrad degree in and what is your GPA? In short, are you a PA candidate? This would be a lot easier if you provided information up front.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 02-01-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is your undergrad degree in and what is your GPA? In short, are you a PA candidate? This would be a lot easier if you provided information up front.
thats the problem. i dont have a degree. i dont want to go back to school without relocating first. I dont see myself staying here long term. I would rather move back east and go to school there.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

8,803 posts, read 13,294,168 times
Without a degree you will need at least 6 years. PA is a MS degree with specific undergrad prerequisites typically science.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Without a degree you will need at least 6 years. PA is a MS degree with specific undergrad prerequisites typically science.
i did 3 years of college. if some of those credits are transferrable, it will be shorter

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i did 3 years of college. if some of those credits are transferrable, it will be shorter

True, but you are still looking at 3-4 years, and that is assuming you already have all of the prereq anatomy, bio, chem, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search