U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM

8,803 posts, read 4,718,281 times

Advertisements

Recently my employer has had it's share of openings in my current field of work. Mostly they have been part time and per diem positions. Recently they put out four to five full time positions in same position I work in at various departments. The prospect of full time work entices me. Applied to one earlier last week than another one popped up towards the end of the week. Now a third full time job popped up today that the hour's work perfect with current school schedule.

However, it makes me nervous I don't want to ruin a good thing. The grass might not be greener on the other side. I currently work part time and feel getting into the groove where I am at. I am able to obtain 40 hour's, less frequently, but able to do 32 for most of the time.

What's your thoughts should I withdraw my application or see how thing's go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,061,460 times
My goal is to work 30 hrs a week, if you are going to school and don't need the extra money I would stay on the schedule you have so long as you can still get medical bennifits, at least an HSA just in case something happens. Working full time could mess up your class schedules, the classes are when they are and if your new full time job does not allow you to go when you need too you could get way behind.

Are you in school for something serious where you will make a radical job change afterwards or is this job a sort of intership of sorts. I worked at a liquor store during the summer when I was going to engineering school to keep family off my back because they thought I was a useless lay about, it was a fun job but it was filler.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,657,640 times
apply if you want...

normally when you are looking for a new job, it's because you want something that current one doesn't provide... better to stay with employer if you like them than go to a competitor unless they offer a better deal

Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Been trying to rack out the pros and cons. Really like work and the people I work with. I mean I am going back to school for nursing and plan to when I complete my perquisites drop down to 24 to 32 hour's.

On average been able to work 32 hours picking up shifts sporadically some weeks I am only 24 hours.

Sad to say money would be great. I like the flexibility of my schedule, but it's a challenge trying to save up for renting an apartment, keep up with bills, and school.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:31 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,657,640 times
Side benefit depending on employer, some help pay tuition for full time employees with condition that they work there after education is done. Get classes paid for as well as having a nursing job upon completion...

Something like this Education Support - VA Careers

Private hospitals do the same, just harder to say with them since they vary more

Old 02-02-2016, 03:54 AM

$3K for part time and $5K for full time. Add in more hours over a 1,000 Lager end of year bonus is.

I am trying to debate applying for a third internal cabdiate spot and withdraw my name from another. Opened yesterday a 7p to 7a in my field job 3 days a week, ideal for school. Even if pay is $18 am hour extra $3 an hour for working hours from 11p to 7a.

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-02-2016 at 05:16 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Applied to all 3 full time internal openings. Figure have a better shot with 3 than 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or