Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 11,097 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job last Tuesday, it went well, and later in the day I sent them the requisite "thank you" letter to the interview committee (communicating my interest in the position). Wednesday morning, I got a phone call from a job I'd interviewed for weeks earlier but hadn't heard anything more from, offering me that job. I had really wanted that job, so I called them back and accepted.

I'm possibly still under consideration for the other job, but to be honest I was kind of embarrassed to withdraw my name immediately the next day after sending them the "thanks/I'm interested" letter. I also know that they called one of my references (though they may have been calling all candidates' references).

Now it's Monday and I really feel like I need to notify them... what should I do? Should I call? Should I e-mail? What should I say? It's unfortunate that my two job searches collided like that... the first one took longer than expected, and the second one was really quick (applied one day and had the interview set up two days later). I wasn't expecting the first one to take so long getting back to me, and I wasn't expecting the second one to move so fast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times
Employer's assume candidates are interviewing with other companies as well. I'd call and let them know you accepted another offer. And thank them for their consideration. Congrats on your new job!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:22 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
Just had this happen to me also. The place took over 2 weeks after interview. I had interviewed for several in the meantime. Anyways, best is to notify asap. Dont wait until they call offering you a job but if your certain your not going to take it, then let them know now. Calling would be best, however if they have been communicating a different way, like email, then thats ok to. I actually emailed saying I had accepted another job offer I interviewed for recently and appreciate the consideration from the company, wishing them the best ect ect. I emailed since that was mostly how we were speaking the entire time. If not though, I would call.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 11,097 times
I e-mailed them because we had been communicating that way.

Turns out they had wanted to give me the job, I was their leading candidate. (I guess they were going to contact me with an offer soon.)

It makes me feel good that I was wanted to for two jobs (the one I accepted, and this other one), but it is never any fun having to say "no" to people who wanted you. :-(

Anyhow, I thanked them very sincerely and told them I was very impressed with their company. Which I was. I just knew I wanted the other job; and in any case, I had no idea whether I was in the running for the second job or not, at the time I got the first offer. I'm very happy that I got the first job, so there's no regret, but I really liked the people at the second job too, so having to say "no" made me feel a little sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search