U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
 
1,013 posts, read 2,371,252 times
Reputation: 547

Advertisements

Im getting emails from Minnesota recruiters. The problem is that i want jobs back east. Should i change my resume to say something about relocating? ON my indeed resume, i listed 3 relocation preferences and they are all back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 PM
 
211 posts, read 299,059 times
Reputation: 95
When I was looking for jobs out of state I put my sister's address on my resume, because she was local. If you have a friend or family member in the area see if you can use their address or maybe you can get a PO Box and use that. I found I got a better response by having a local address as my job is not specific enough that a company would consider an out of state employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 04:29 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 2,371,252 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
When I was looking for jobs out of state I put my sister's address on my resume, because she was local. If you have a friend or family member in the area see if you can use their address or maybe you can get a PO Box and use that. I found I got a better response by having a local address as my job is not specific enough that a company would consider an out of state employee
i have plenty of people local. But MInnesota to the east coast is too far. I cant just hop on a plane at first notice. It would be different if i was say an hour or 2 away. But 20 hours is pushing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 06:04 PM
 
1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Im getting emails from Minnesota recruiters. The problem is that i want jobs back east. Should i change my resume to say something about relocating? ON my indeed resume, i listed 3 relocation preferences and they are all back east.
Remove the address from your resume and in place of it put "Relocating to DC", NY or wherever you're trying to go. You can then go into more detail once you get the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 2,371,252 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Remove the address from your resume and in place of it put "Relocating to DC", NY or wherever you're trying to go. You can then go into more detail once you get the interview.
What if im open to the whole east coast? Philly, delaware, Maryland, DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 02:25 PM
 
211 posts, read 299,059 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i have plenty of people local. But MInnesota to the east coast is too far. I cant just hop on a plane at first notice. It would be different if i was say an hour or 2 away. But 20 hours is pushing it
Unless your job is specific enough for a company recruit from another state you are going to have to pay for moving and interviewing costs. Putting a PO Box, or city and state will get you interviews in that area. It could get you your foot in the door.


Ask if they can do a phone interview first than on the second round of interviews you can fly out to meet with the company.


I could not get a recruiter to even meet with me until I moved to NYC when I lived in FL. I tried for a year to look for a job out of state but since my career is in the administrative field they could easily hire someone who is local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 2,371,252 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Unless your job is specific enough for a company recruit from another state you are going to have to pay for moving and interviewing costs. Putting a PO Box, or city and state will get you interviews in that area. It could get you your foot in the door.


Ask if they can do a phone interview first than on the second round of interviews you can fly out to meet with the company.


I could not get a recruiter to even meet with me until I moved to NYC when I lived in FL. I tried for a year to look for a job out of state but since my career is in the administrative field they could easily hire someone who is local.
the thing is that i cant afford to lie. For 1 interview, ok i can do it. but then we could be talking a second and third interview. Thats when it gets tricky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 PM
 
1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
What if im open to the whole east coast? Philly, delaware, Maryland, DC
Still remove your address and put that you're open to relocation to East Coast only. In the cover letter I would communicate that at present you are looking for the suitable job and are willing to go anywhere on the east coast to find it. If your desired relocation destination is close to your hometown, express the message that you are looking to make a permanent move back to your hometown to be close to family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM
 
60 posts, read 33,714 times
Reputation: 96
Unless you are highly specialized and have some experience in your field you will probably not get an interview until you have moved. I moved from Seattle to NYC. When I started interviewing for jobs I had several recruiters asking me over and over if I lived there and was fully relocated and didn't drop it until I said "yes, I have an apartment in X neighborhood ". They are hip to people using a local address on the resume when they don't live there yet. If the last job on your resume is in another city you will get pressed hard on the details of your relocation. More than once during actual interviews (not just with the recruiter) I was asked why I relocated. They don't want people who are just going to move back where they came from after a few months. Always say you have close family members in the area...do not give an answer like " I always wanted to live here". Employers always want people rooted to the area, especially in fields that pay average wages (meaning you wouldn't just stay for the money). Good luck with your search. You may have to just bite the bullet and move, the. Start applying for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top