U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 PM
 
23 posts, read 35,412 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

So this was an honest mistake. I am currently employed and have been seeking a promotion for awhile. Well I finally got an interview, and I was honestly surprised. So I started snooping and I found out why I think I got the interview...

On my company's internal resume I accidentally keyed in the wrong date on the calendar for the year I acquired my degree. I put 12/2015 instead of 12/2016. What worries me is I have this interview tomorrow. My manager didn't notice this and he has to approve the application and I didn't notice this either until tonight. Now I am freaking out.

The job can be given to those without degrees so it doesn't necessarily disqualify you but it is just rare. I am only assuming that is why I got the interview.

My manager is aware I will not have a degree until 12/2016 of this year.

I am so worried. And I have to bring this up in the interview. I know they will check and it will just get me in big trouble later they I'll think I lied, assuming they even offer me the job. I just don't know how to tell them it was a typo, an honest mistake. If I had known I would have corrected it.

I can't bring an updated copy of my internal resume because this is a video conference.

Two of my coworkers told me not to worry about it and just to tell them, the worst that could happen is they don't give me the job, but I am just so nervous about it. Can they terminate me for this? Obviously they could terminate me if I don't bring it up because they will find out.

So how do I even bring this up? Do I do it in the beginning or do I do it at the end? Their interviews are structured with an intro, where they ask you to introduce yourself and then they ask a series of situational questions and then you do a closing. IF they ask they will certainly ask about my education in the beginning. So I am wondering if they will just stop the interview after they find out or if they will even give me a chance.

Am I too worried about this? From an employers perspective is this a huge deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,760 posts, read 10,834,959 times
Reputation: 16632
You're overthinking things. Relax, it's a simple mistake. Simply explain the error when the issue comes up and move-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,163 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Reputation: 32161
For an internal candidate, where your current manager has presumably endorsed your application, don't worry. During the intro, explain that you were reviewing the materials in preparation for the interview and noticed you had miskeyed your graduation date and that you you will be finishing up your course work at the end of this year. I'm assuming you didn't start working there within the last month so you were hired without the degree and that's in your personnel records. Your interviewers will probably have access to that. It's really a non-issue under these circumstances, so just get it out of the way early and move on.

And good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 PM
 
Location: california
920 posts, read 649,138 times
Reputation: 1065
They like you so it won't matter under the circumstances you describe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM
 
17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Reputation: 28775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You're overthinking things. Relax, it's a simple mistake. Simply explain the error when the issue comes up and move-on.
Umm, I think the OP should be mentioning this ASAP, not when the issue comes up.

If the OP waits until the issue comes up, that doesn't look good at all.

In fact that is one way a former co-worker lost her job, she fudged her college information on her resume, and after they found out after the fact, she was let go.

I agree I don't think it's a big deal if it's an honest mistake, but why shouldn't the OP get this resolved as soon as possible and be proactive instead of waiting for them to find out which never looks good. I don't even see why the OP should have to hesitate or debate about this in resolving it soon, unless there was a slight intent to mislead by putting the wrong date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 PM
 
350 posts, read 555,851 times
Reputation: 479
If I were in your situation I wouldn't wait for the interview to be conducted. The first thing I would do tomorrow morning is to contact the proper person/s and let them know of your error. Explain to them that it was a simple mistake and you wanted to rectify it before they interviewed you. As someone that has managed and hired many throughout the years I know that I would rather learn this before the interview. It would show good faith on your part and you wanted to set the record straight. They could then decide whether to continue with the interview or not. If it were to come out in the interview, if it were me, I might think that the person intended to deceive but changed their mind when I asked involved questions. But that's just me. Whether or not you get the job, well it's a lesson learned (check, double check and triple check anything before submitting something this important).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 PM
 
Location: california
920 posts, read 649,138 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Umm, I think the OP should be mentioning this ASAP, not when the issue comes up.

If the OP waits until the issue comes up, that doesn't look good at all.

In fact that is one way a former co-worker lost her job, she fudged her college information on her resume, and after they found out after the fact, she was let go.

I agree I don't think it's a big deal if it's an honest mistake, but why shouldn't the OP get this resolved as soon as possible and be proactive instead of waiting for them to find out which never looks good. I don't even see why the OP should have to hesitate or debate about this in resolving it soon, unless there was a slight intent to mislead by putting the wrong date.
Because having a College degree isn't a requirement for said position
If it was, I could see your point. But it's likely they won't even request any proof
Companies generally do not fire employees they like, only those they dislike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM
 
23 posts, read 35,412 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Because having a College degree isn't a requirement for said position
If it was, I could see your point. But it's likely they won't even request any proof
Companies generally do not fire employees they like, only those they dislike
You're right it isn't a requirement but it is sort of unwritten they typically do even interview those without degrees. But they have in the past, it's just sort of a rarity. That is ,what makes me think that's why I got the interview, because the date was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM
 
23 posts, read 35,412 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Because having a College degree isn't a requirement for said position
If it was, I could see your point. But it's likely they won't even request any proof
Companies generally do not fire employees they like, only those they dislike
You're right it isn't a requirement but it is sort of unwritten they typically do not even interview those without degrees. But they have in the past, it's just sort of a rarity. That is ,what makes me think that's why I got the interview, because the date was wrong.

Also I have heard of a girl who did in fact lie on her resume and she got the promotion and later they found out she didn't have a degree after checking up on her and she got fired. It was the same position. I am assuming it was because she purposely lied though. Which is why I really want to correct this ASAP because they will check, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM
 
23 posts, read 35,412 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
If I were in your situation I wouldn't wait for the interview to be conducted. The first thing I would do tomorrow morning is to contact the proper person/s and let them know of your error. Explain to them that it was a simple mistake and you wanted to rectify it before they interviewed you. As someone that has managed and hired many throughout the years I know that I would rather learn this before the interview. It would show good faith on your part and you wanted to set the record straight. They could then decide whether to continue with the interview or not. If it were to come out in the interview, if it were me, I might think that the person intended to deceive but changed their mind when I asked involved questions. But that's just me. Whether or not you get the job, well it's a lesson learned (check, double check and triple check anything before submitting something this important).

This is great advice thank you. I am going to go in early and tell my manager. I am just not sure if he can rectify the situation before the interview starts. It starts right when I get in tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top