U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,996,386 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about this. Are pretty big career jumps suspicious on a resume?

Examples:

Assistant, next job Manager
Associate, next job Director
so on and so forth.

Is this something that employers would be suspicious about, or rather does it shine positively on the person showing they are highly capable and good at their work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM

341 posts, read 1,015,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

Examples:

so on and so forth.

Is this something that employers would be suspicious about, or rather does it shine positively on the person showing they are highly capable and good at their work?
Why would it be seen as bad? That's a huge jump of growth.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM

22,305 posts, read 9,481,496 times
Quote:

Examples:

so on and so forth.

Not at all. It's quite common these days. Just have a good (and hopefully truthful) rap about why you made the moves. I've change jobs and careers many times, and if it was questioned in an interview, after I explained, they totally understood, but your reasons should ring true and reflect that your decisions were made to improve your career opportunities and find new challenges.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,304,806 times
Yes, it would absolutely be suspicious to me. I want to see realistic career advancement, not some titles that I need to think about and decipher if they are real.

That said, titles vary so much - they vary by industry (everyone in finance is a VP apparently), by size of organization, etc.

I don't have a high title (my org keeps us in check and doesn't let us get big heads) but am involved in high level work. Put me in front of an interviewer/hiring mgr and it takes 2 minutes for them to understand and be comfortable with my qualifications for a lateral job move. I've interviewed people with higher sounding titles than mine and found that many know little.

It's really a shame that titles are used to manipulate in so many ways.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,292,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's really a shame that titles are used to manipulate in so many ways.
Agreed. I've seen more fancy job titles than I can count, even for low-paying entry level work.

In fact, this is one of my favorite things about sales jobs; the creative job descriptions and all of the fancy titles like Telemarketing Account Executive, Territory Director, Business Development Manager, etc. No matter what fancy title they gave you, you still cold called people all day long who didn't care about the services, company, and value you provide.

Manipulative job titles sure look good on paper, though, I have to admit.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,554,110 times
From Associate to Director just sounds implausible. In the larger places I have worked there were alot of years and steps in between those two titles.

As far as job hopping, I wouldn't worry as much since it's so common these days. That is unless you have some know-it-all interviewer who thinks it's still the 1980's

Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,066,191 times
It would only be suspicious if you're lying about it on your resume. NEVER lie on your resume. If you get caught, you not only get terminated, you're also embarrassed.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,292,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It would only be suspicious if you're lying about it on your resume. NEVER lie on your resume. If you get caught, you not only get terminated, you're also embarrassed.
Yes, never lie, but most people do exaggerate their job duties quite a bit.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,363,776 times
No, because it can be verified quite easily.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:

Examples:

so on and so forth.

It depends on a few important factors such as the timeline for these job changes that seemingly have increased levels of responsibility. If someone went from assistant to the Director level within a year, that would put things into question. If these were done over 5-7 years or longer, it would be considered a normal progression of advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or