Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM

71 posts, read 58,485 times

Advertisements

Do any of you guys have any non-conventional ways to get employers interested in you?

I would like to write some type of operational management piece to showcase my skills, but I'm kind of confused as to how would I go about it and how would I put it out there for employers to read!!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!!

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
You don't need any 'non-conventional' ways to get noticed. The conventional ways work just fine. What you need to focus on is composing a good effective resume and cover letter which will speak for itself.

No employer is going to want crazy outlandish 'non-conventional' stuff unless you are going for some type of creative, design or graphics type job where they are expecting it or require it.

I have no idea what you mean by 'some type of operational management piece' but nothing like that should be sent initially with a job application or resume unless they specifically ask for samples or a portfolio of your work. it should however, be listed in your resume/cover letter as part of your skills/experience (bullet points) and if you land an interview then bring it with you to present, if at all.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM

298 posts, read 270,884 times
The resume and cover letter don't work for everybody. I agree with what you said. Do you like to write? Put up a short blog. Copywrite protect it and put a link to this blog on your resume. It depends on the type of jobs you 're looking for. In sales and creative jobs, yes, people get away with "outlandish crazy" stuff, like another person here said. You don't have to get outlandish but you can still get creative in job searching. It depends on the industry you're in and type of job. Give us some more info so those of us who are not negative nancies can chime in.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Creatively network with people?

networking is still the best ways to hear about opportunities and following up on them

seems like you put a lot of effort into figuring out ways to find a job while isolating yourself to internet/things you can do without interacting with people and little effort in just going out and meeting people

all the talk about resumes/cover pages, etc... it all pales in comparison to a good network of people who know your skills, and are willing to vouch for you because they know you will get the job done that they are hiring for

"operational management piece" no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound like forming a group and leading them... it could be a sports activity or anything else. I've played on softball teams where the average age is in the 40s, they don't play seriously (walk bases, can barely hit past pitcher, etc) but they all are professionals from various fields and play to network with each other, and families get to play with each other too. Guess what, roping in kids works great . They come over for parties/bbq, adults catch up on work/life, and someone mentions this isn't working at company, and someone says we do this and this, and if it works, they might look to hire them.

besides sports, even getting involved in church is a great networking place... stay away from the "young" get drunk/play around groups. Those are for "fun", networking opportunities with people who have a limited network themselves doesn't lead to much.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
I recently created my own website to detail my life. So far I've gotten interviews. I'm praying the interview I had today nets me over to the final one.

Tbh, having a website and a LinkedIn account is as creative as you can get.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I recently created my own website to detail my life. So far I've gotten interviews. I'm praying the interview I had today nets me over to the final one.

Tbh, having a website and a LinkedIn account is as creative as you can get.
Thanks for your response! Great idea!!! Best of luck, I hope you get the job!!! My fingers are crossed for you

I was thinking of doing a website too! What is yours about? And how did you get employers to take a look at it?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

For example, X promoted a pamphlet on social media, which resulted in an employer contacting him for a position within a company

Just because you don't care for unconventional tactics, doesn't mean majority of employers don't feel that way. What employer who comes across someone who has amazing talent exhibited through an article, pamphlet, website, drawing, or video and not try to bring them to their team.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-05-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Creatively network with people?

networking is still the best ways to hear about opportunities and following up on them

seems like you put a lot of effort into figuring out ways to find a job while isolating yourself to internet/things you can do without interacting with people and little effort in just going out and meeting people

all the talk about resumes/cover pages, etc... it all pales in comparison to a good network of people who know your skills, and are willing to vouch for you because they know you will get the job done that they are hiring for

"operational management piece" no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound like forming a group and leading them... it could be a sports activity or anything else. I've played on softball teams where the average age is in the 40s, they don't play seriously (walk bases, can barely hit past pitcher, etc) but they all are professionals from various fields and play to network with each other, and families get to play with each other too. Guess what, roping in kids works great . They come over for parties/bbq, adults catch up on work/life, and someone mentions this isn't working at company, and someone says we do this and this, and if it works, they might look to hire them.

besides sports, even getting involved in church is a great networking place... stay away from the "young" get drunk/play around groups. Those are for "fun", networking opportunities with people who have a limited network themselves doesn't lead to much.
How can you draw that conclusion with the little information I gave you? Why do you people on here insist on insinuating? Why do you assume? Can someone please answer this question for me!!

The only conclusion you can come to based on the information that is given, is that I exhausted other outlets.

If you would like to draw a conclusion about me, please don't. Please ask me first. I know first hand that networking is the best lane for job searching- you can be given an opportunity without having the proper experience. However, sometimes people don't have success without network. There isn't a 99% chance you'll get a job from networking.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-05-2016 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
The resume and cover letter don't work for everybody. I agree with what you said. Do you like to write? Put up a short blog. Copywrite protect it and put a link to this blog on your resume. It depends on the type of jobs you 're looking for. In sales and creative jobs, yes, people get away with "outlandish crazy" stuff, like another person here said. You don't have to get outlandish but you can still get creative in job searching. It depends on the industry you're in and type of job. Give us some more info so those of us who are not negative nancies can chime in.
Thanks for the response! I would like to work as an marketing or business analyst, I am also am interested in organizational management and event planning. I have a very broad interest in business. I love everything about it. Eventually I would like to start a couple of my own- Restaraunt, B&B, and a Staffing Company. I just graduated in December so I'm too short on funds and would like to work before I create me own business.

I do like to write, and wrote one blog post so far for my blog. For right now, I'm trying to decide what route should I take, and how can I bring something fresh, something innovative to the table.

Eventually, I will land a job, but I'm sure a blog, if its successful, can open a couple of doors and some revenue.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
This thread has been cleaned up and inappropriate posts have been deleted. People, please play nice or find another game. No personal attacks nor off-topic comments.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search