U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,925,264 times

Advertisements

I just left a terrible job in sales after being there six months. The last time I met with a career counselor was terrible. They just did resume stuff. Apparently this new career counselor is supposed to be good.

However I don't need another resume re work or how to use the job portal again. So what can I actually get out of my career counselor that will make this a "GOOD" visit? And not leaving me feel more hopeless than I am now. I have a coming interview with Verizon in sales, but honestly I am done working in retail and I have a year worth of sales and a brief HR internship. I want to do marketing, recruiting, real estate, or IT tech work. However, with no connections in the job market right now and no call backs for interviews I don't know what to do. I don't have alot of money and I can't seem to find a co. that would pay enough for me to live on my own if I moved away, so I am looking for something where my parents live. So this career counselor can't just tell me to well up and move if you can't find a job here. I'd love to say "sure, then you *** tell them to pay someone a liveable wage in CA. Otherwise give me some productive advice. I was forced to pay for your services out of my colleges fees."

Any advice would help. Anyone else hate their career counselors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 AM

9,823 posts, read 17,090,515 times
I am confused. You are in college, correct? Full time or part time? Are you looking for a FT or PT job? What is your major? If you are in college, why do you want to take on the extra expense of living on your own? If my colleges had career counselors, I didn't know anything about them.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 21,794 times
What do you ideally want the career services department to do for you? Outside of highly competitive/selective schools where investment firms aggressively recruit graduating seniors, career services is pretty powerless to actually "get" you a job in any meaningful way.

Advisers inside career services suggest job hunt strategies, tailor resumes and cover letters, may point you to some job databases, or may have a private repository of open job positions. They also hold career fairs a few times a year (again depending on the selectivity of the school, these are sometimes productive and sometimes not), do lame student outreach events, and facilitate lame career search psychometric stuff. That's really all they do.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I am confused. You are in college, correct? Full time or part time? Are you looking for a FT or PT job? What is your major? If you are in college, why do you want to take on the extra expense of living on your own? If my colleges had career counselors, I didn't know anything about them.
i graduated already

Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayblue81 View Post
What do you ideally want the career services department to do for you? Outside of highly competitive/selective schools where investment firms aggressively recruit graduating seniors, career services is pretty powerless to actually "get" you a job in any meaningful way.

Advisers inside career services suggest job hunt strategies, tailor resumes and cover letters, may point you to some job databases, or may have a private repository of open job positions. They also hold career fairs a few times a year (again depending on the selectivity of the school, these are sometimes productive and sometimes not), do lame student outreach events, and facilitate lame career search psychometric stuff. That's really all they do.
Ideally....

Hook me up with other alumni. Suggest jobs that I could get.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 PM

11,258 posts, read 8,640,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Ideally....

Join the alumni association. Create your own target list of companies you like. Search their job postings. Get on LinkedIn.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 10,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Ideally....

What did you get your degree in?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat23 View Post
What did you get your degree in?
sociology. i had the intention of getting into human resources. i had a 4 month internship in human resources, but apparently not good enough to get a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or