U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 AM

130 posts, read 92,790 times

Advertisements

On the general Work and Employment Board I started a conversation about my manager who never talks about non work related things to his staff. It made me wonder if this could be a red flag in job interviews.

I am not talking about job interviews for low wage non skilled jobs but instead during the recruitment process for highly skilled and compensated professional jobs that require a college degree.

Think back to your employment interviews. During the process was there any non work related conversation? Chit chat, pleasant conversation? Maybe something as simple as the traffic or the weather.

I know when I was a manager I would always have some chit chat that was not work related in the job interviews, especially if the person would work very closely with me. But maybe this is not a good idea. What do you think and what has been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,363,776 times
I've always had some.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,260,566 times
Most interviews have a little chit chat just to break the ice, especially on the part of the interviewer. Many interviewers are as nervous, or even more so, than the person being interviewed. Some of this depends on the type of interview.

One interview that I had, I was asked about vacation places and it turned out that one of the interviewers went to the same beach that I did.

I have found that when I was single that there was a little more chit chat than when I married.

My feeling is that since I don't live with the person interviewing, I prefer to keep chit chat to a minimum. If there is too much, someone might get the impression that they are definitely getting the job--and then they don't. Not good.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:29 PM

4,662 posts, read 2,293,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
I know when I was a manager I would always have some chit chat that was not work related in the job interviews, especially if the person would work very closely with me. But maybe this is not a good idea. What do you think and what has been your experience?
As an interviewee, I prefer things are kept business-related during an interview. Not everyone is like that though, some like to open up more about different things. I'm not the most bubbly-extroverted type so that's probably why.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,186,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
As an interviewee, I prefer things are kept business-related during an interview. Not everyone is like that though, some like to open up more about different things. I'm not the most bubbly-extroverted type so that's probably why.
Agreed. A little chit-chat to open and get the nerves out of the way isn't bad, but I'd prefer to keep it professional and on-topic.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,113,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Most interviews have a little chit chat just to break the ice, especially on the part of the interviewer. Many interviewers are as nervous, or even more so, than the person being interviewed. Some of this depends on the type of interview.

One interview that I had, I was asked about vacation places and it turned out that one of the interviewers went to the same beach that I did.

I have found that when I was single that there was a little more chit chat than when I married.

My feeling is that since I don't live with the person interviewing, I prefer to keep chit chat to a minimum. If there is too much, someone might get the impression that they are definitely getting the job--and then they don't. Not good.
This happened to me recently. I assumed it was a slam dunk, but instead got a big fat rejected email a week or so later. Lesson learned..Stay on topic.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 PM

928 posts, read 861,893 times
If you don't let your personality shine during the interview then how are they going to distinguish you from the drones that show up and act all business like and only talk shop.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:18 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,020,043 times
I tend to interview candidates in a conversational way, so yeah, expect non work related conversation when interviewing with me at least.

I do have an outline of what I want to discuss but my goal is to make Q/A as "organic" as possible.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 AM

130 posts, read 92,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
If you don't let your personality shine during the interview then how are they going to distinguish you from the drones that show up and act all business like and only talk shop.
Exactly and the employment process is a two way street. If the boss who interviews you seems like a robot and you have a set of skills that makes you a competitive applicant in the job market, it is best to look elsewhere. Don't unfriendly managers understand human nature during the recruitment and selection process?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
As much as I hate to say it, no, not really, for fear of tripping over some sort of protected class during what is normal small talk you'd make on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or