U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM

104 posts, read 111,897 times

Advertisements

I know most of us take into consideration the COL of an area especially where we find jobs but do we really have to worry about that? I mean it does affect our job hunting since the high COL becomes less attractive knowing the risk of not landing an excellent paying job. Based from my observation, ironically the higher COL, the more there are job opportunities in the area meaning higher chance of employment provided you are skilled enough. Like for IT/tech jobs, Silicon Valley is an IT hotbed but COL is crazy high. That makes me hesitant of trying out finding a job in SV. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM

9,809 posts, read 17,037,958 times
I don't know if you need to worry about it, but you certainly need to consider it.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM

211 posts, read 307,651 times
I would consider it. It affects the salary for certain position. For instance I am an Executive Assistant and make 80K in NYC if I moved to FL my salary would be significantly less because of COL. Another example, my sister was thinking of moving to FL for her husband's job she went ahead and asked her employer if she moves (she telecommutes so could work anywhere) would that affect her salary as she is being paid based on living in NY. The good news is her boss said she would not cut her salary. A different boss might have said since COL is less I will pay you less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or