U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 PM

104 posts, read 239,468 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just received another rejection for a job that I really wanted. I got to the final step, created a presentation, , presented it to them. One of the people interviewing me said that they loved it and thought it was fantastic. I didn't get the job. I have a feeling that the reason why I may not have been hired is because the woman who would've been my boss did not have a background for education/training/etc. and perhaps thought I could take her job.

I am frustrated because being a former teacher, I have all of these skills that transfer into other areas in Training/Curriculum development and Instructional Design. I get lots of job rejections for positions that almost fit my resume to the T.

Is it that most of the jobs already have internal candidates?

I don't want to go back to teaching children at all. The Phoenix market is horrible and after the last rejection, I started looking out of state.

I am also back in school getting a second Masters degree in Instructional Design and Technology. I hope that this will boost me into this career field and I would love to work for a college or university.

How hard is it to get a job in a college or university these days?

Are there any former teachers out there that are in the same boat I am, or if you were a teacher and successfully changed careers over how long did it take you and what did you do?

I am so tired of looking for work, but I have to. I have already tried to network with those I know and a lot of people I know are either out of work themselves, or they are teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,862,755 times
I am looking for full time work myself. I'm doing much better, getting interviews here and there. You just have to keep going. Try everything, even something that's outside of what you want to do. It's better to have a job with something than none at all.

I'm also considering out of state as well.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

52 posts, read 79,245 times
I can only wish you luck. I haven't had a full-time job in over 4 years...hard to believe that's it's been that long; I continuously search, apply and only go on interviews sporadically. I've only done part time or seasonal work (with no benefits which sucks) in the past few years. I am not a teacher but I have worked within the educational field. Have you tried to look for jobs in educational consulting?

Old 02-12-2016, 10:37 AM

15,035 posts, read 21,767,703 times
It's exhausting, you can just keep pushing.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,441,717 times
I wouldn't go back and get a second Master's, unless it's fully funded? If you are paying for it or taking out loans for that, you don't NEED IT.

This is one of the worse job markets in history, so knowing that, unless you are nailed to your current territory, you have to be open to work (and move) anywhere, domestically and internationally. Don't just limit yourself to your current territory, it's time to start applying in other states and even outside of the US as well.

With this current job market, job stability is pretty much gone, thus you are going to have to be working (more than likely) at one job in one location for 5 years, then another job in another location for 6, then another in another location for 5 years, repeat, repeat, repeat until you are too old and ready to retire.

Of course with this situation one has to ask, "When in the heck do I buy a house?" Well, I believe for many of us buying a house just isn't going to be in the playbook. You only buy a house when you will STAY PUT for at least 10 - 15 years in one area, with the lack of job stability today, that might be completely impossible, requiring you to be forever "mobile".

Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM

205 posts, read 201,692 times
What level did you teach? Have you considered working in a library? I taught kindergarten for 2 years, decided it wasn't for me, then worked part-time in a library. After almost a year PT, I applied for and was offered a full-time reference position. In my area, I had to start PT, because most FT positions are filled internally and never made it to external posting. Your teaching skills are transferrable to reference work. However, if you want upward mobility, you might think twice, because there's only so far you can go without a MLS degree.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:00 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,458,066 times
I went back to get my degree in school psychology, and am now about a year away from becoming a licensed psychologist. I was funded through grad school. I know fellow teachers who went on to become trainers, work for curriculum companies (e.g., Houghton Mifflin), work in management in offices, and work in banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or