U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2016, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
363 posts, read 310,287 times
Reputation: 367

Advertisements

I've been looking for a job for a month, and in one week I got two job offers. Both jobs are technical support, and I am still entry level in my career, so my main goal is to build my experience and resume. Anyway, both jobs are about the same pay and both are through a recruiting agency. The first offer was with a company that has bad reviews, I interviewed with them and it went perfectly, and they said they will contact me to do the paper work, so technically I am not hired yet officially. The upside of this company is I like the work schedule, and in six months either they will move me up and increase my pay or end my contract.

The other company has just contact me on the same day I had the interview, they gave me a test and told me I did great and passed the phone interview, and now I am filling the paper work for them. They told me that my contract will just keep renewing, and it's not a temp to permanent position, so there is not bright future in the company. But, this company is a well known huge computer company, it's very popular. I am very tempted to join them I can have the company name on my resume.

I am not 100% sure which offer to choose, and when should I tell the other company that I am no longer interested. Do I wait until they tell me the start date? I don't want to risk losing both offers if I tell one company too soon that I no longer interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 PM
 
117 posts, read 87,160 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I've been looking for a job for a month, and in one week I got two job offers. Both jobs are technical support, and I am still entry level in my career, so my main goal is to build my experience and resume. Anyway, both jobs are about the same pay and both are through a recruiting agency. The first offer was with a company that has bad reviews, I interviewed with them and it went perfectly, and they said they will contact me to do the paper work, so technically I am not hired yet officially. The upside of this company is I like the work schedule, and in six months either they will move me up and increase my pay or end my contract.

The other company has just contact me on the same day I had the interview, they gave me a test and told me I did great and passed the phone interview, and now I am filling the paper work for them. They told me that my contract will just keep renewing, and it's not a temp to permanent position, so there is not bright future in the company. But, this company is a well known huge computer company, it's very popular. I am very tempted to join them I can have the company name on my resume.

I am not 100% sure which offer to choose, and when should I tell the other company that I am no longer interested. Do I wait until they tell me the start date? I don't want to risk losing both offers if I tell one company too soon that I no longer interested.
Quote:
and in six months either they will move me up and increase my pay or end my contract.
Yeah - I've used that line before. Might as well be Andre the Giant waving a proportional red flag.


Quote:
The other company has just contact me on the same day I had the interview, they gave me a test and told me I did great and passed the phone interview, and now I am filling the paper work for them. They told me that my contract will just keep renewing, and it's not a temp to permanent position, so there is not bright future in the company. But, this company is a well known huge computer company, it's very popular. I am very tempted to join them I can have the company name on my resume.
Not clear on this one. Is it an agency that is contracting you out to the big company?

Either way, you're a temp. You're expendable. I'd take option 2 and get the name on the resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,171 posts, read 29,708,722 times
Reputation: 26676
Get the better name on your resume. And after a few months start networking for permanent positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 05:23 AM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,477,066 times
Reputation: 4920
Don't count on promised raises, take the 2nd job.

In my past job, my training class of entry level call center reps was promised a 50 cent raise. We all signed contracts.

Two months later, they called the training class in for a meeting with new contracts on your desk. They claimed the 50 cent raise was a communication error, when we were offered the job. Everybody would sign the new offer for no raise. If a the new contract was not signed, our contract would be terminated.

I signed the contract and started looking for a new job that night. After one frustrated co-worker left for another call center paying $5 hr more, half of my original training class followed him to the new place within 2 months.

Call center reps are treated like dirt, because the employers can find another entry level person to take the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 05:31 AM
 
5,920 posts, read 6,731,275 times
Reputation: 15274
Well, for starters, you don't have an offer from either company. And even worse, you are dealing with a third party which has no control over the hiring process--and is likely to tell you just about anything to keep you strung along.


So, the first thing you do is keep looking for a permanent position.


Second, IF you should get a formal, written offer from one, or both, of the potential employers, you take the one which is going to give you the most experience/visibility/ relationships/opportunity.


You don't reject anyone until you have formal, written offers in hand with no more contingencies (drug test, reference checks, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 AM
 
5,341 posts, read 5,314,448 times
Reputation: 12504
I agree with others, the job #1 move you up stuff are just words. Don’t put too much stock in that.

I’d take job #2.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 AM
 
15,386 posts, read 17,650,694 times
Reputation: 13518
The 2nd job is your goal. Take the 2nd job BUT take the 1st job if that is the only official offer that you have so far at that point in time.

Quit the 1st job for the 2nd job if offer for #2 comes later..even a week or two later. This way if the 2nd job doesn't give you the offer, then you at least have the 1st job (instead of none).

That company name recognition for job#2 on the resume will help grow your career. And being renewed over and over in a contract is better than knowing that after 6 months you might be out the door(job#1).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
363 posts, read 310,287 times
Reputation: 367
Thanks, that's my original plan to take the 2nd offer, I just needed some some information to confirm. When I worked in the "blue collar" jobs in warehouses, when I started temporary, I always got hired permanent if I had good attendance and did my job. That wasn't the case for office jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,054 posts, read 3,228,145 times
Reputation: 8245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I've been looking for a job for a month, and in one week I got two job offers. Both jobs are technical support, and I am still entry level in my career, so my main goal is to build my experience and resume. Anyway, both jobs are about the same pay and both are through a recruiting agency. The first offer was with a company that has bad reviews, I interviewed with them and it went perfectly, and they said they will contact me to do the paper work, so technically I am not hired yet officially. The upside of this company is I like the work schedule, and in six months either they will move me up and increase my pay or end my contract.

The other company has just contact me on the same day I had the interview, they gave me a test and told me I did great and passed the phone interview, and now I am filling the paper work for them. They told me that my contract will just keep renewing, and it's not a temp to permanent position, so there is not bright future in the company. But, this company is a well known huge computer company, it's very popular. I am very tempted to join them I can have the company name on my resume.

I am not 100% sure which offer to choose, and when should I tell the other company that I am no longer interested. Do I wait until they tell me the start date? I don't want to risk losing both offers if I tell one company too soon that I no longer interested.
Well, it is said that people who complain let everyone know, the ones who don't tell their friends how happy they are. "Word of mouth" is rarely heard from unhappy people, so you have to take all those "Bad reviews" with a grain of salt.

Have you checked the other company, since you checked the first one, why haven't you done the same with the other one?

Names are just that, names. I have Nike, Addidas, Tektronix, Maxium, Sequent, Rockwell, Panasonic and 3 others on my resume, but the positions were low level. Names are names, it's what you do that impresses the boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top