U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on employment agencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,075,301 times
I'm an honest person, so I would not lie or make up a fake business. Construct your resume with years of experience instead of dates of employment. You should be fine. What kind of job do you want?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
Check out the YMCA, great place to start. They have several positions and with your background in non profits that is a plus.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:31 AM

5,339 posts, read 5,299,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The reason I brought up the DBA is that in the NY area it is usually required to have one filed as long ad you use a name for your business that is different than your own. So If you wanted to call your business Joe's Tax & Accounting, you have to file a DBA. Then again, you can just say you were self employed and worked and did consulting in whatever your field was before you became a SAHD.
Really? You sure? I wasn't aware of that. I'm in Boston now but was in NY up until a few years ago and I got my part time, crappy business incorporated as an S corp and did some business type consulting so have some knowledge (at least of what it was like about 10 yrs ago). The Inc was pretty much just for liability reasons and to open a business account and for taxes and things like that. Aside from those things, I was always under the impression that someone can hang a shingle and call themselves whatever they want on that shingle. I could be wrong though.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM

5,339 posts, read 5,299,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesainted View Post
I never considered searching for stay at home dad groups, that is a great idea!

Honestly at this point I would take ANYTHING just to get back out there, because the 4 year gap and saying I was a stay at home dad is not going to work.

I have degree and funny thing is before the kids I had a job since I was 13 working straight through even paying off all my college debt.

But a few years off and its like everything changed.

I have a BA worked in not for profits, taught HS, volunteer and did some basic IT for a short time.

I didn't want to go back to school but its looking that it may have to be an option I put on the table
I'd narrow the focus a bit to something rather than anything. The "I'll take anything attitude" puts you on the track of a dead end crap job. I assume you'd prefer somewhat of a career. If so, zero in on something general and see what you need (by exploring job postings) for an entry level type gig. Then get the education/training while beginning to develop some sort of network or contacts.

For example, if you want to get back into IT, look into which certifications may be of value for the type of IT you may want to do.

If it were me, I'd hold off on temp agencies until you have a focus. But I'm not in your shoes so don't know if you have that sort of time. The sacrifice is very likely worth it though.

Best of luck.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm an honest person, so I would not lie or make up a fake business. Construct your resume with years of experience instead of dates of employment. You should be fine. What kind of job do you want?
I will definitely look for that format and rework resume

thanks!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Check out the YMCA, great place to start. They have several positions and with your background in non profits that is a plus.
never thought of that...I will definitely check that out.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
thanks for the heads up I will check this out!

Old 02-12-2016, 05:22 PM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Construct your resume with years of experience instead of dates of employment. You should be fine.
Actually, most employers are on to this resume strategy and will ask you directly about what years you were doing what. If you don't put down dates of employment, it's a red flag.

Might be better to put down that you had an IT consulting business or some such thing for those four years. Put up a Linking page, etc.

When asked, say that you found you liked it better working on a team such as when you worked for a non-profit or some such thing.

I would encourage you to work with temp agencies. Many employers use temp placements to screen candidates and give them a chance to try out employees without the hassles and legal problems of letting them go if need be. Temp employment is a good way for you to try out different types of jobs. Plus it gets you back in the work world.

Beware, that some employers keep people on as temps long past any reasonable amount of time. You can have an honest conversation about your goal of permanent employment. If they say they don't intend to put you on permanent, it's back to the temp agency.

I would also encourage you to join Toastmasters. It's a wonderful organization. You not only learn how to communicate more effectively in a business setting, but meet people from all over the community. Some will pass on job leads, etc.

It's all about networking. 70% of those working now say they got their job through networking. Not necessarily that someone greased the wheels, but perhaps they passed on a job lead, or were an informal reference, or ???

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Might be better to put down that you had an IT consulting business or some such thing for those four years. Put up a Linking page, etc.
I did some IT consulting (self employed) and listed it on my resume with dates.

Later I got regular W2 jobs, working as a regular employee. 2 different employers, as part of the background screening, they asked me to show proof of the self employed gigs - either IRS income tax return or payments would be allowed for such proof.

I had saved the invoices and matching payments/checks received for that work, so was able to submit them as proof and it was acceptable. In fact, when doing such gigs I always ask for paper check payments instead of direct deposit because I want to have hard copy records for future background screenings. I even save the envelopes that the checks are in.

I think you should get with Recruiters aka headhunters aka temp agencies. Be truthful about the gap. It's easier to get temp work and hopefully they can assign you into some short term jobs that will at least make your resume more current.

But you need to decide what kind of job you want to aim for now..and focus on where that job will lead you as the next step.

Find recruiters in the largest city that is nearest to you. The larger cities have larger volume of jobs available. It's a numbers game. You might have to drive to larger city for a year or 6 month just to get something on your resume again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or