U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 6,305 times

Advertisements

I've been a stay at home dad the last few years and I am getting ready to return to work.

Looking for something in the NY (5 boroughs)/NJ area

I volunteered, joined the PTA etc while home and just did some quick work but nothing substantial.

I wanted to ask for some tips on explaining my employment gap on my resume and interviews, creating a resume and what are some good job sources.

Are temp agencies a good option? Craigslist? Employment sites like Indeed?

I have heard that they are tougher on stay at home dads returning to the work force.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM

5,341 posts, read 5,311,505 times
What kind of job/career are we talking about here? What did you do prior to stay at home dad?

It must be tough for stay at home parents. I always thought that if it were me, I'd invest any time I had into learning something or attaining a skill for my eventual re-entry into the workforce. So I'd be using some of the time to plan, network, etc. I have no idea but wonder if there are any stay at home parent groups that address this issue. Wouldn't surprise me if there were. The economy in the NYC area is pretty good so that's a big bonus.

For other thoughts, would need some info on the type of job you are thinking about and if you have any time, money, willingness for some education (if needed). I've found Indeed to be good for me but I've been working and have specific things I would look at and apply to. I haven't ever tried but suspect you wouldn't find any real or good gigs on Craigslist.

Best of luck

Old 02-12-2016, 06:19 AM

43,420 posts, read 41,942,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What kind of job/career are we talking about here? What did you do prior to stay at home dad?
Yep, this is ESSENTIAL info.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM

928 posts, read 862,849 times
Ouch, man you are really out of touch to even bring up Craigslist. You should register a Sole Proprietorship Company, file a DBA with your local court and claim that for the past 5 years you had your own business, but now you are looking to get back to the corporate world.

I wouldn't even attempt to explain that you were a stay at home dad, the stigma attached to that is unbelievable, whether its justified or not. But I guess life isn't fair. You need to brush up on all of your employable skills ASAP.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Ouch, man you are really out of touch to even bring up Craigslist. You should register a Sole Proprietorship Company, file a DBA with your local court and claim that for the past 5 years you had your own business, but now you are looking to get back to the corporate world.

I wouldn't even attempt to explain that you were a stay at home dad, the stigma attached to that is unbelievable, whether its justified or not. But I guess life isn't fair. You need to brush up on all of your employable skills ASAP.
thanks...

I was SHOCKED how hard it is to tell any potential employers that, it just seemed I would be better off lying which I really didn't want to do, and never needed to do in the past.

wow, I have NEVER even heard of that DBA option

really appreciated.

If you got anymore advice please feel free

Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 AM

5,341 posts, read 5,311,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesainted View Post
thanks...

I was SHOCKED how hard it is to tell any potential employers that, it just seemed I would be better off lying which I really didn't want to do, and never needed to do in the past.

wow, I have NEVER even heard of that DBA option

really appreciated.

If you got anymore advice please feel free
A DBA is a Doing Business As registration.

I'm not sure why registering is beneficial honestly. One doesn't have to register to be in business. You can just hang out a shingle so to speak.

Only thing I can think of is to "legitimize" (note the quotes) the "business" (again, the quotes) in case the org you are applying with checks if what you claim was your business is registered. First, if they do that, they may very well see the date of registration (which will have been recent) so that'll tip them off that you are lying. Second, I say again, you don't have to register anything. Sure, it looks better if you get a DBA (unless they see the date) but why not incorporate then and take it all the way? That way, you can list Stay at Home Dad LLC (or Inc.) on the resume. But again, if anyone checks on that, they'll likely see the date or incorporation.

I'd be careful with all this, lest you look and feel foolish.

Edit: Point is that if you want to claim you were running your own business (consulting or doing bookkeeping work or whatever), it may be safer to make up a name for the "business" and not register it. That way, nobody can check up on the date of registration and there is not trail on how long you actually did the work.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 AM

928 posts, read 862,849 times
The reason I brought up the DBA is that in the NY area it is usually required to have one filed as long ad you use a name for your business that is different than your own. So If you wanted to call your business Joe's Tax & Accounting, you have to file a DBA. Then again, you can just say you were self employed and worked and did consulting in whatever your field was before you became a SAHD.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 AM

43,420 posts, read 41,942,096 times
And when they look up the date the DBA was filed?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:

It must be tough for stay at home parents. I always thought that if it were me, I'd invest any time I had into learning something or attaining a skill for my eventual re-entry into the workforce. So I'd be using some of the time to plan, network, etc. I have no idea but wonder if there are any stay at home parent groups that address this issue. Wouldn't surprise me if there were. The economy in the NYC area is pretty good so that's a big bonus.

For other thoughts, would need some info on the type of job you are thinking about and if you have any time, money, willingness for some education (if needed). I've found Indeed to be good for me but I've been working and have specific things I would look at and apply to. I haven't ever tried but suspect you wouldn't find any real or good gigs on Craigslist.

Best of luck

I never considered searching for stay at home dad groups, that is a great idea!

Honestly at this point I would take ANYTHING just to get back out there, because the 4 year gap and saying I was a stay at home dad is not going to work.

I have degree and funny thing is before the kids I had a job since I was 13 working straight through even paying off all my college debt.

But a few years off and its like everything changed.

I have a BA worked in not for profits, taught HS, volunteer and did some basic IT for a short time.

I didn't want to go back to school but its looking that it may have to be an option I put on the table

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
A DBA is a Doing Business As registration.

I'm not sure why registering is beneficial honestly. One doesn't have to register to be in business. You can just hang out a shingle so to speak.

Only thing I can think of is to "legitimize" (note the quotes) the "business" (again, the quotes) in case the org you are applying with checks if what you claim was your business is registered. First, if they do that, they may very well see the date of registration (which will have been recent) so that'll tip them off that you are lying. Second, I say again, you don't have to register anything. Sure, it looks better if you get a DBA (unless they see the date) but why not incorporate then and take it all the way? That way, you can list Stay at Home Dad LLC (or Inc.) on the resume. But again, if anyone checks on that, they'll likely see the date or incorporation.

I'd be careful with all this, lest you look and feel foolish.

Edit: Point is that if you want to claim you were running your own business (consulting or doing bookkeeping work or whatever), it may be safer to make up a name for the "business" and not register it. That way, nobody can check up on the date of registration and there is not trail on how long you actually did the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And when they look up the date the DBA was filed?
good points.

Its shame that I will probably have to lie in some way shape or form it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or