Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 02:27 PM

285 posts, read 534,171 times

Advertisements

Has anyone encountered this before? I've been contacted for two interviews with two separate and fairly reputable companies. Both times, I was asked to come for a "meet and greet". The word interview was not used at all and "meet and greet" was in quotations in our email correspondence. Obviously I'm preparing and treating them like interviews, but I haven't heard of this before (both are upcoming). Where I worked previously, we "interviewed" people, and everything was very professional and by the book. Is this a way of screening people out, or could their work environment really be that casual that they're genuinely just meeting and greeting people to assess a good fit? As someone who used to conduct interviews myself, I found it a tad unprofessional sounding, and wondered why it was in quotes (lol). Just found it interesting and was wondering if meet and greets were a new "thing".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:39 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
Has anyone encountered this before? I've been contacted for two interviews with two separate and fairly reputable companies. Both times, I was asked to come for a "meet and greet". The word interview was not used at all and "meet and greet" was in quotations in our email correspondence. Obviously I'm preparing and treating them like interviews, but I haven't heard of this before (both are upcoming). Where I worked previously, we "interviewed" people, and everything was very professional and by the book. Is this a way of screening people out, or could their work environment really be that casual that they're genuinely just meeting and greeting people to assess a good fit? As someone who used to conduct interviews myself, I found it a tad unprofessional sounding, and wondered why it was in quotes (lol). Just found it interesting and was wondering if meet and greets were a new "thing".
It's an interview. They are trying to be clever and folksy, but make no mistake, it's an interview.

Who said this to you? Was it from HR? Was it from the hiring manager? Or was it from the assistant who sets up the schedules?

I agree, it doesn't sound professional, but some companies are trying to make you think they are somehow different, but in reality work is work.

Is this company in California?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
A meet and greet would infer more of a brief handshake with a lot of people, very casual, while the interview would be more formal, but who knows, they may just be playing with the semantics.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 PM

587 posts, read 915,429 times
I have never heard of this. You'll have to report back to say what it actually was!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Consultancies and other companies that have client-facing positions do this often. It's the social part of the interview. You should be careful not to drink any alcohol, be outgoing but not the alpha, don't get too personal in your questions or answers, etc.

There's another thread around here that asked about this, so you might want to do a search, or google it and I'm sure you'll find good information that way. They want to know that you can present yourself well in social settings.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Another thought on this - if this isn't for a job involving client interaction then they're trying to get feedback from their team on all the applicants.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:08 PM

285 posts, read 534,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

Is this company in California?
Both are in California. I figured that might have something to do with it ha

Old 02-12-2016, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 34,671 times
I have a second interview with a school district in a week for grounds workman/General maintenance, but i have never been to a meet and greet interview. Please help me out. Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search