U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 AM

545 posts, read 575,578 times

Advertisements

I am looking to job hop from my current job once my 1 year contract is over instead of renewing it for another year. If I were to renew the contract, it would come with a pay raise, but it is not likely to be as much as what other employers are paying.

I really like my current job and they have treated me well, but other employers in the same field pay significantly more than my current employer for doing exactly the same job.

If I were to interview for other positions, should I just flat out tell the interviewer, if asked, that I am looking switch jobs for more money? Would that sound bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 AM

5,060 posts, read 3,233,000 times
Well, the current employer may like you enough if you go and say (At contract renewal) "Others are paying this much, I'll stay if you match it"

If not, then you gave them the fair chance to keep you and move on.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 AM

I can't really wait till the end of my contract since my field requires overseas travel and I would need time to process paperwork for the visa application, living accommodations, etc.

It can be done quickly, but it is not recommended. It is much better to do this well in advance.

Also, I don't want to be scrambling for a new job in a hurry if my employer doesn't offer me a good enough raise.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 AM

11,183 posts, read 8,575,060 times
Never say you are leaving for more money.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Never say you are leaving for more money.
What should I say instead?

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,135,650 times
Its the only way to get more money today sadly. Good luck getting an exponential pay increase working at the same place anymore.

Promotions are becoming a thing of the past and so is any other raise higher than 2-3 percent. SCUMerations have found they can subtly keep piling more and more responsibility on the poor suckers (even if it is out of the realm of their job classification) as opposed to creating new job openings for people.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:06 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,685,647 times
You do what is best for you. No one is going to feed your family when the bills piles up. Don't be a sucker being loyal. There is no loyalty whatsoever from an employer. You are just a hired gun and they'll spit you out if they can find someone else cheaper.

I've seen good men and women dedicated their whole life to their company only to be shown the door in their 50s. All those years of hard work and loyalty didn't mean a damn thing when it was cheaper to get that 28-30 yr. old to do the same work at half the price.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 AM

So what should I say in the interview as my reason for wanting to leave?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM

9,024 posts, read 8,443,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
So what should I say in the interview as my reason for wanting to leave?
Any number of things, and some of them depend upon what you apply for.

More job security if you are applying to a larger, more stable corporation; for a longer term contract; or a FT position.

Career advancement if applying for a more senior role.

Gain additional skills, knowledge and experience if the new position is different from your current.

More geographically desirable if the new location is better.

More fulfilling if the new position has a humanitarian component.

The trick is to determine how the new company views itself. Whatever they take pride in, that is your reason for jumping.

FWIW, I don't find discussion of money to be a bad thing. We all take jobs to pay the bills, just don't make it your only stated reason.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,077,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
I am looking to job hop from my current job once my 1 year contract is over instead of renewing it for another year. If I were to renew the contract, it would come with a pay raise, but it is not likely to be as much as what other employers are paying.

I really like my current job and they have treated me well, but other employers in the same field pay significantly more than my current employer for doing exactly the same job.

If I were to interview for other positions, should I just flat out tell the interviewer, if asked, that I am looking switch jobs for more money? Would that sound bad?

And then who is to say they will renew your contract?

This is a classic case of "the grass is always greener ...." but nevertheless a normal part of life.

Comparing jobs solely on pay scale might be an illusion. Check on health and life insurance benefits, perks, liberal or conservative, financial credibility, potential to advance, hierarchy, amiable co-workers,, office or no office, and that sort of thing. You might find it is in your interest to hold out for another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search