U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a job that I found out about through a third-party recruiter that contacted me. The whole process was very slow-I was first contacted about the job about three months ago, did a video interview in December, and then an in-person interview with a panel at the end of January.

I was told by the recruiter that she would contact me to tell me the outcome of the interview. When I hadn't heard anything after about two weeks went by I emailed her to check in, and she told me that there had been a "slight delay" and that it "wasn't bad," and that she would call me the next day or the day after once she had a chance to touch base with the employer.

Well, of course, she never called me. I emailed to follow up about week later, and she never responded to my email. After a week went by with no response to that, I tried calling today but no answer at her office and her cell phone was off. I left a voicemail on the office phone. No response yet.

I'm inclined to think that the position has been filled and she hasn't made it a priority to let me know, but I wondered why she told me the delay was "not bad" if that was the case.

Any thoughts/crystal balls/similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,884,865 times
Sounds like "the dance" my DH went through, multiple times. FORGET about recruiters--ie headhunters. I don't know how they make their money, but most are a fraud. You think you are dealing with a reputable company, but most are just some guy set up in his bedroom or garage fishing for an occasional bite. Think about it----why on Earth would a company pay a HH big bucks to do what they can do on their own? They would only use a HH if it were a very difficult position to fill. Face it, most of us aren't that special!

Even if it is a position a company would consider you for, once the HH gets his claws in you, he owns you and his commission. Rather than pay big bucks to the HH, most companies will just go to the next candidate on the list. HH just muddy the waters. Everything you're going through my DH experienced multiple times with various HH, I think they all take some HH 101 course where they learn how to string clients along

Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,339,377 times
Sounds typical with corporate America these days. Most will tell you they will let you know and give a time frame but you you never hear back from them. Best advice I can give you is to treat hiring managers and employers like they treat you, keep interviewing for jobs even after you get an offer, keep looking for a better opportunity even after you start working and when one comes along, jump on it.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:12 AM

266 posts, read 284,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Sounds typical with corporate America these days. Most will tell you they will let you know and give a time frame but you you never hear back from them. Best advice I can give you is to treat hiring managers and employers like they treat you, keep interviewing for jobs even after you get an offer, keep looking for a better opportunity even after you start working and when one comes along, jump on it.
What ^^^^ said. I have been through what you are going through and it sucks. But as a worker looking for a job you are disposable to them. I have had face to face interviews and phone interviews that when they are done its like you fell off the face of the earth. Don't take it personally and never stop your job search or put it on pause because you had a face to face or a phone interview.

The norm these days is to completely ignore you unless they want to bring you in for an interview or offer you a job. So you could have had 2 phone interviews and 2 face to face interviews and they will still not let you know one way or the other. Does it suck, of course it does, but that is the way of the world these days.

Now I have had good and bad experiences with headhunters, but they only make their money if they find you a job. So, it is odd that a headhunter won't return calls.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM

769 posts, read 597,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Sounds like "the dance" my DH went through, multiple times. FORGET about recruiters--ie headhunters.
I've had great success with headhunters. However one area you may run into issues is if your skill set is a dime a dozen. If you have a skill set that is in demand headhunters will go to bat for you. Some positions make more than others. A position paying $8/hr is not going to bring in nearly as much as one that makes $30/hr. There are several reputable companies in this area that I have used. Some are jokes and obviously aren't interested in hiring qualified individuals. I have since quit bothering with those agencies. Many companies are resorting to use headhunters to get into their company.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM

52 posts, read 45,382 times
I don't know why this poster is so cynical about the whole process, but take it with a grain of salt. Most likely the HH you're working with is just poor with customer relations.

If you're a good fit for the job, the company will not just go to the next candidate... If they didn't want to work with the headhunter, they wouldn't be working with a headhunter. I've gone on job interviews set up by a recruiter, everything went fine until the company made me an offer well below what I told the recruiter I'd accept. That should have been sorted out before the company paid for lodging and airfare.

If the HH ever gets back to you, let her have a piece of your mind. Either she starts working, or you stop taking her calls, either way, you win.

Quote:
Sounds like "the dance" my DH went through, multiple times. FORGET about recruiters--ie headhunters. I don't know how they make their money, but most are a fraud. You think you are dealing with a reputable company, but most are just some guy set up in his bedroom or garage fishing for an occasional bite. Think about it----why on Earth would a company pay a HH big bucks to do what they can do on their own? They would only use a HH if it were a very difficult position to fill. Face it, most of us aren't that special!

Even if it is a position a company would consider you for, once the HH gets his claws in you, he owns you and his commission. Rather than pay big bucks to the HH, most companies will just go to the next candidate on the list. HH just muddy the waters. Everything you're going through my DH experienced multiple times with various HH, I think they all take some HH 101 course where they learn how to string clients along

Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,727,626 times
Quote:

Maybe that's true in general ... I have no idea. But my son had a great experience with a "headhunter" recruiter in the Atlanta area. It all depends on the recruiter.

In the OP's case, it sounds like the recruiter is falling down on his/her job. Or maybe the hiring company is.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:57 AM

300 posts, read 498,779 times
Sometimes, things happen where positions do get filled under your nose (maybe they'd interviewed someone just before you and something stalled with that person, then they interviewed you, and the first person's issue was resolved and they were hired).

However, if you had a good interview experience and the employer liked you, your resume is likely at the top of the stack for when the next position opens up. So,etimes, things come up beyond the employer's control, but they should still give you a phone call to let you know your resume is on hold until something opens up again.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 15,085,832 times
I've had it occur and many (not all) recruiters don't know how to handle giving adverse news to their clients/canddates, so they leave them "hanging". I am assuming the position has either been filled or has been closed/cancelled.

The best recruiters I've worked with, get back to their candidates either way, so that the candidates get some closure.
The amateurs/run of the mill ones don't seem to care and forget about you.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:33 PM

114 posts, read 131,397 times
There are good and bad in every group - including recruiters/ HH. If you are a strong candidate, they'll push because they know the chances of you getting the job is strong. If you aren't a strong candidate or there are stronger candidates, they won't put much effort into your application because they don't think it will happen.

I don't mean to be harsh and this is no reflection of you personally. Just remember at the end of the day, successful recruiters are focused on placing the candidate that will get them a commission check.

I had a friend that went into this line of work and shortly thereafter, I didn't like what I heard from him about candidates. There were times, I wondered if he realized he was talking about human beings. I worked as a recruiter for some time because I've always loved career and job search trends and helping people get jobs. But at the end of the day, I wasn't cut throat and I couldn't stand placing candidates in jobs I knew they would hate or negating them because another candidate would command a higher return.

In theory, the industry is supposed to be focused on the personal aspect of things (HR) but it is really more sales oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search