U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 09:12 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,591 times

Advertisements

If you were offered a better paying job, but the job is a contract that will only last about 4 months, would you leave your current full time job that is a permanent position?

I have this opportunity presenting itself to me at the moment and I am torn. The extra money would be awesome, but I like the security of my current job.

What about leaving my current position on good terms, completing the better paying contract, and if the contract doesn't get extended or other better opportunity present itself I go back to my current job? Is it known for employers to take back former employees after doing something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:15 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If you were offered a better paying job, but the job is a contract that will only last about 4 months, would you leave your current full time job that is a permanent position?

I have this opportunity presenting itself to me at the moment and I am torn. The extra money would be awesome, but I like the security of my current job.

What about leaving my current position on good terms, completing the better paying contract, and if the contract doesn't get extended or other better opportunity present itself I go back to my current job? Is it known for employers to take back former employees after doing something like this?
You are going to have to be specific about the kind of work and dollar amounts you are talking about. If it is IT, for example, and besides it being much higher pay it would allow you to add a big name working on something in demand by other employers, then it is a no brainer.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 PM

341 posts, read 1,015,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post

It really depends on the situation. I've been a temp for over a year and I really needed benefits and it's hard to take vacations without any PTO. I ended up needing my wisdom teeth out and other dental needs which will be over thousands so I actually was lucky and accepted another position with higher pay and benefits that'll cover it (hopefully no wait period).

I would take it if you can afford it meaning if the contract ended that you would be financially stable and not struggle. Even though it's higher pay, it is temporary...does it mean it's worth it in the long run for your resume? Highly unlikely a job would have you come back immediately if the other doesn't work out but there are exceptions. You would have to make sure you aren't burning bridges...but why go back to an old job with the same pay? Find another job that is long term and better pay. I wouldn't leave a comfortable secure job just for a contract job that's temporarily better...think long term.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:21 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,472,156 times
Depends on how much more money you'll be making for those 4 months and how soon you think you can find a new job after your temporary one ends. It's all about risk vs reward. Only you can answer your question. As far as employees going back to their former place of employment, yes it happens, though I've never heard of it happening after someone takes a contract job. If you feel comfortable, you could explain your situation to your current employer. Maybe they'll offer you an extended leave of absence.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM

211 posts, read 299,433 times
I wouldn't do it because I like the security of having full time employment with benefits. If the job is in a field where getting another one would not be an issue than depending on how much money you will get go for it.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM

8,814 posts, read 13,301,562 times
I would absolutely not do it. No benefits, no PTO, no job security, plus the companies that use temp agencies tend to be the slimiest out there. It won't take too long in unemployment to come out behind vs having a direct full time job.

Temp jobs are for the unemployed and desperate.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:55 AM

15,030 posts, read 21,753,522 times
For four months? Nope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or