U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,172,971 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

We are targeting three different areas to relocate to after our youngest goes to college next fall. NYS holds no appeal to us and my hubby has been out of work since June. He just went for a third interview at $9hr to work as a meat wrapper in a grocery store. They had over 400 applications and told him they'd call. 4 weeks of it and still doesn't know if he has a job. He was a concrete dispatcher for 21 years until his company sold out.He has skills that hopefully are transferable to other jobs. He's been going to NYS One Stop, but still no jobs. Let's face it, he'll never have that 50K a year job he had before. But it's pathetic he can't even earn 15K-last year he only made $4100 before they let him go as he was part time as a transfill tech working with liquid oxygen.

So how do we go about looking for work in another state? Do we send emails inquiring about positions? Send resumes? We are going over the summer to these areas to hit them hard so we can get jobs lined up before we move. I'd never go somewhere without a job. But if hubby can land one down there, I'll tie up the lose ends here.

We are looking in the Savannah, GA area, Charleston, SC area and Greenville, SC areas since they seem to have decent job growth around. We are open to suggestions in either of those states as I can work anywhere driving a school bus-although I've been a dispatcher in the office for the last 5 years as I also do the routing. I am certified in the software used too. I've been in the industry since 1986. I am also a driver/trainer. I have my degree though in hospitality and tourism management.

Since we've never lived away from where we grew up, it's also about who you know. We've been actively making connections on LinkedIn to areas we are looking. Anything else we should do, please advise as this will be our last move in our lifetimes-both early 50's.

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
This has been discussed a lot on the forum. Good luck on your search!

Attempting to relocate - Advice needed
Applying for out of state jobs, willing to relocate
Would like to relocate. What's the best way to find a job 1st??

Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,007,346 times
Start and keep applying to jobs listed/posted online in the areas you want to move. Yes, you will be competing against local candidates, but it does work! Check local government websites, or governmentjobs.com. Check all the typical job sites (indeed, etc) and apply for anything that meets your skills. Let the companies know that you are planning to visit and could schedule interviews at that time. Or you may need to arrange for travel to interview.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 PM

3,781 posts, read 2,997,351 times
I would recommend you also post in the C-D forum for each area you are considering, to inquire about the job prospects there and learn more about the pros and cons of living there.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,172,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I would recommend you also post in the C-D forum for each area you are considering, to inquire about the job prospects there and learn more about the pros and cons of living there.
Thank you everyone! So we are pretty much on track in terms then of what we've been doing. I've been on the C-D forum's and gotten some good advice and other's not so much. But that's like life anyway.

We are going to put the cost of moving on us. Not a big deal. The biggest hurdle is that job and having it ready to go. I've talked to a number of school district's to get the lay of the land. I'll have a job easily when I get there as school bus drivers are a hot commodity since it's like that across the nation. Hubby will be a tad harder. But he'll get something figured out.

Keep it coming in case what we've been reading needs to be more in depth that what we've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or