Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 AM

345 posts, read 252,339 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my company after 19 years. It has been a year since I haven't worked. I've only had a handful of face to face interviews, and every one has gone very well but no job offer. I've been told I have an impressive resume--BS in Chemistry and an MBA. I realize I am in a very niche field (science) and I am 56 years old. I apply for approximately 10 jobs a week which I am perfectly qualified for. I am even willing to relocate. I have tried networking as well. I was curious how long it has taken any of you to get a job, especially as an older worker. I am up on technology and am on all the major social networking sites. My LinkedIn profile is very good as well (according to a recruiter). Thanks in advance for your wonderful guidance!

Sincerely,
Totally frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM

21 posts, read 25,974 times
Hello,
I was a recruiter for many years in a past life. Youre facing competition. for may reasons they look better or different than you. To get more bites and nibbles, if you have any jobs listed before your 19 year tenure (which is amazing and very commendable, congrats!) i would remove them from your resume and linkedin profile.

I would also take the date you graduated college and any other dates they may make you look too senior. Your problem may be that they are looking at the paper and deciding rather than picking up the phone to decide.

Trick them to getting in touch, talk to them and let them ask the questions. food for thought and not sure if it pertains to you, but you are by no means near being on the sundown side of things.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:27 PM

@kindredscents thank you for your encouraging words. I have been waffling over whether or not to keep the job I had prior to my last one of 19 years. The reason I kept it was to show I had 4 years of experience as a chemist (which some of the jobs I apply for have had as one of their qualifications). I do not have graduation dates on my resume or LinkedIn profile.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 25,974 times
that you were a chemist is important i know. it shows progression and potentially your ability to interact with other technical people. The rub is... whats better TELLING them that when they are on the phone, or have them draw the conclusions of your 'other' profession of chemist. now, so you know, the recruiter in me is saying "he was a chemist for 4 years? he couldnt have started there, what did he do before? how old does that make him? NEXT!!!!

im giving it to you raw, it is what is - apologies as i dont mean it bad. i just want you to objectively see the process.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM

@kindredscents makes perfect sense thank you! I never thought of it that way. I deleted it from my resume and LinkedIn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search