Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,920 times

Advertisements

Hi - To preface: I am fully aware of this incident when I was 21 years old. I received a disorderly conduct for participating in a rowdy college party.

Now, I've never disclosed this on any of my past job applications, I've been hired at least 5 different times since 21, I'm now 29. I've been in no trouble since then. The reason I never disclosed it was because since getting that, I've always been under the information that my disorderly conduct was not a misdemeanor or a felony so it's like a traffic ticket and not something to worry about.

I've received an offer for BNY Mellon and I'm doing a fingerprint (aka FBI) background check and I've been told from a friend in the banking industry that I should be worried about that disorderly conduct I didn't disclose. So, my instinct is to call the HR person and explain my error and hope it's understandable, but from online research I've heard that once I've accepted the offer I can't "modify" my application and therefore I can't properly disclose the disorderly conduct.

Any thoughts on this situation? I have called my HR contact that I was working with and left a vague voicemail but at this point I'm wondering if bringing it up now will just be me firing myself. Again, every other job application I've never disclosed that Disorderly Conduct and I've never had any questions about it at all.

I have looked at my record on the PA Magisterial website and my case is listed there.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,777,609 times
Heck you can simply say "Oh that? Heck that was 8 years ago, I have matured from those silly days and have been a good citizen since then. I simply forgot it as it was so long ago!"...

Since it's not a felony, I can't see it hurting your career....Since you have had 5 jobs since then...I think that shows how minor it is to people.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM

I ended up getting a email from the employer shortly after posting this to find that they wanted me to officially confirm the offer in their system online. So, I did end up talking with the recruiter and it appears I was still able to adjust my application before accepting the offer and it looks like I'm back on the "honest" side.

Whether or not the charge will disqualify me is not 100% but I'm hopeful something so minor from my younger days would not DQ me.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 AM

684 posts, read 713,183 times
1. Disorderly persons does not a criminal record make
2. Disorderly persons is not in FBI database since it's a local to a township or a county.
3. Disorderly persons would prevent you from being a slave to that bank
4. Disorderly person stays on your record a limited period of time.

finance sucks and pays like crap !

Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwaggy View Post
I ended up getting a email from the employer shortly after posting this to find that they wanted me to officially confirm the offer in their system online. So, I did end up talking with the recruiter and it appears I was still able to adjust my application before accepting the offer and it looks like I'm back on the "honest" side.

Whether or not the charge will disqualify me is not 100% but I'm hopeful something so minor from my younger days would not DQ me.
You were honest in the first place, forgetting that incident is not bad. However, good on you for the job. Hope you enjoy it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
1. Disorderly persons does not a criminal record make
2. Disorderly persons is not in FBI database since it's a local to a township or a county.
3. Disorderly persons would prevent you from being a slave to that bank
4. Disorderly person stays on your record a limited period of time.

finance sucks and pays like crap !
I'm not trying to be rude, but with the exception of point #3, you're not correct.

And, while your last point may be true for the people in an actual finance job, my position will be within the bank's IT department. So, it's my own special version of hell.

Last edited by Shwaggy; 02-19-2016 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Replies.

6,457 posts, read 7,786,454 times
Disorderly conduct? No.

When I was younger, I was a big idiot and (among other things) had my license revoked and then had limited places and times that I could drive for a few months due to too many violations. I hired a lawyer, participated in a hearing (to reduce the penalties and fees), all that jazz. Never have I even considered putting that on an application. And here you are, years later, having worked other jobs and never having this be an issue, and now for some reason you are making it an issue.

Why? Why are you sabotaging yourself? This should not be a concern but if it really is, you should have spoken with an employment attorney, HR employment law professional, or other appropriately qualified person for authoritative information and advice.

Hope things work out well and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Disorderly conduct? No.

When I was younger, I was a big idiot and (among other things) had my license revoked and then had limited places and times that I could drive for a few months due to too many violations. I hired a lawyer, participated in a hearing (to reduce the penalties and fees), all that jazz. Never have I even considered putting that on an application. And here you are, years later, having worked other jobs and never having this be an issue, and now for some reason you are making it an issue.

Why? Why are you sabotaging yourself? This should not be a concern but if it really is, you should have spoken with an employment attorney, HR employment law professional, or other appropriately qualified person for authoritative information and advice.

Hope things work out well and I wish you the best of luck.
I'm not sabotaging myself, I'm actually quite relieved after talking with the recruiter.

This is the finance industry, FDIC regulations, the application stated to disclose ALL convictions/crimes which I didn't submit because I'd never had to disclose anything other than misdemeanors or felonies which I don't have.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
You were honest in the first place, forgetting that incident is not bad. However, good on you for the job. Hope you enjoy it very much.
Thanks, me too!

Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM

684 posts, read 713,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwaggy View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but with the exception of point #3, you're not correct.

And, while your last point may be true for the people in an actual finance job, my position will be within the bank's IT department. So, it's my own special version of hell.
in #3 the word NOT gone missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search