U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 PM

426 posts, read 270,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Some employers will actually discard your application if you don't include any sort of social networking profile. My friend is a recruiter for OneMain Financial and she tells me all kinds of stories about this stuff.
Why should it be?
Not every has time to be on Social Media
And even then kinda pointless to create one just for a job requirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Some employers will actually discard your application if you don't include any sort of social networking profile. My friend is a recruiter for OneMain Financial and she tells me all kinds of stories about this stuff.
Yup. I don't have a Facebook page and I know for certain I have not gotten jobs because of it.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
HR departments tend to shy away from searching the web in the ways you express concern, but the hiring manager is probably a different story. When any of my prospective hires make it past the 1st stage in the interview process, I go to town on Google. Pictures from their youth drinking or doing stupid things are dismissible, as are Facebook profiles or comments with regard to politics, but belonging to a forum where they rant about touchy subjects like race, sex, etc, will certainly weigh on my managerial conscience whether it's frowned upon or not. Watching out for my business is my #1 priority.

So my answer is Yes.
Same here, I will do the research on anyone that I have selected to be interviewed, HR does not. After my selection, they order the background check but leave it up to the service they use. Their only "checking" is to call the references given by the selected applicant.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 AM

43,182 posts, read 41,773,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
Who the hell puts their real name on the internet.
Lots of people do.

It sometimes gets out there without your permission in unexpected ways. Even with attempts to be anonymous, many people naively use the same username on all forums, making it very easy to link their online footprint to their actual identity.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,984,165 times
As a hiring manager, I definitely look at Linkedin profiles. The goal here is not to dig up "dirt" but to validate the candidates background. I will also look at Facebook/Twitter etc. Why? because it may be there. When adding to my group, my goal is to find the best candidate I can. And not looking at any/all information available would be falling short of my due diligence. The key here is to determine how much of a factor that info should be to my hiring decision.

That said - I am human. So I will form perceptions/biases based on what I see/read. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying. At the end of the day, you ARE being judged relative to other candidates.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 AM

426 posts, read 270,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Lots of people do.

It sometimes gets out there without your permission in unexpected ways. Even with attempts to be anonymous, many people naively use the same username on all forums, making it very easy to link their online footprint to their actual identity.
I would never put my real name out there.
If social media asks me to put my name I always use a fake name.
If it isn't anything involving with the school or government, i have no reason to put my real name.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:52 PM

4,649 posts, read 2,287,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
That said - I am human. So I will form perceptions/biases based on what I see/read. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying. At the end of the day, you ARE being judged relative to other candidates.
I hope you like the same music as me. Otherwise, I don't want you to label me a poor fit.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:26 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,273,860 times
[quote=OmegaSparks;43072534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I think Facebook is one of those networks where it'd be pretty difficult not to use your name because Facebook is so people IRL can find you and how are people supposed to know it is you if you don't have your name on there?

Huh? You can make up any name you want, and get a facebook account. Believe me, I know. Just go to gmail, yahoo, etc., make up an email address and then head over to facebook.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:41 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,794,340 times
When I was in a position to hire someone I looked them up on Google. Had a nice phone interview with someone and was about to bring them in for a face to face interview. Ran a simple Google search on them and found their Facebook account and Twitter account. The Twitter feed was full of profanity, drug references and pictures of the applicant in various drunken poses. The interview process stopped right there. I tell every young person out looking for work to clean up any posts, pictures or feeds that will put them in a bad light.

On the flip side, I have also looked up people that were interviewing me on Facebook. Part of the reason I got one job is that I knew the guy volunteered at his church. So I made sure that I brought up my own volunteer work during the job interview.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,644,145 times
I have a LinkedIN profile. I'm on FB, but I live a very quiet, boring family life, and never discuss politics, sex or religion on there. I mainly maintain it so that our extended families (who live in other states) can keep up to date on our lives without the need to email or call every day. There's nothing out there under my name that would cause embarrassment or shock should an HR rep find me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or