U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 04:59 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times

Advertisements

HA is right on the money with the truck driving. And yes, the kind of time to get hired for an 8 dollar an hour retail job is ridiculous. Mine took about that long and the amount of work that is done for that dab of money is ridiculous too, but that's the way it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,172,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I sympathize. I have not had a full-time job since 2009 and it is not for lack of trying. 3 part-time in 3 years, laid off 2 of them. I've applied to so many full and part-time jobs and fully qualified for all but only got a part-time retail job that took 2 months to apply and get hired. I've done some contract delivery work and am now going to try some self-employment doing pet sitting and setting up an Ebay store. I am 61 this past week and counting the months till I am 62 and then it's SS for me plus my own contract/self-employment income.
I sense you have the same feelings of frustration and chronic sense of absolute disbelief that he cannot get a job. Well I have come to realize that this is a fact in my life and I'll be damned if I know what to do except try to ''employ'' myself and that is what I am doing.
It has to be our age and I have met others locally in my retail job who are in the same boat-cannot get hired no matter how they try. I think it's a combination of being 50+, the ridiculous hiring processes now in place a lot of the time, and the shortage of jobs.
Delivery jobs are going to pick up here as our major grocery suppliers are going to do their shopping on-line and will likely want them delivered to their home. He might want to look at courier or contract delivery opportunities.
I thought about the school bus gigs around here but probably would run the bus into a ditch in a fit of hysteria! LOL
Around here school bus drivers are only part time. 25hrs a week. Some have benefits, some don't. Starting averages at $17.89-the district I work for is at $20.01hr. But like you said, running into a ditch, not the best thing. Most our drivers are retired from the MTA, Police or Corrections. They've got retirements. The benefits stink, a driver has to work 30hrs or more to get them, then it's $1600 a month. No one has gotten them. No one can afford it.

He's going to see about getting a Class B with air and hazmat. He said he'll drive either for UPS, a box truck or a dump truck. He's got connections with companies for paving as he met a lot of them while there at the quarry.

It sucks getting older, but not old enough to retire. I don't understand how if we have another 20 years to work, why we can't get hired. Younger people jump ship constantly, older people are reliable. Our turnover is HUGE in the 21-35 year old range. No one an afford to stick with it because it won't even pay rent. And monitors-forget it. $11.80hr. Who can get an apartment working just part time on those hours? The vast majority of them have to be in Section 8 and food stamps and Medicaid. Sad when it's a union based job.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
This is my suggestion. You need something NOW. His other jobs and skills are not going to get him something in today's job market if he hasn't found anything already. After 300 applications, the writing is on the wall. It is completely over saturated with people looking for lower level work.

Send him off to truck driving school. There are plenty that will cover all his training, get his CDL, give him a job, then he pays back the training costs over the next year of work. Very little out of pocket money needed.

If he calls and signs up Monday, he will be working in about 3-4 weeks. The big operations start new classes every single week.

They will also pay for his bus ticket to school, housing while there, some even pay you a little per week while training etc... Each company does it a little different.

Of course this all depends on him qualifying with respect to drug test, driving record, criminal record etc.....

Now, his first year is going to absolutely suck. It's tough and starting pay is low. There is just no way around it. It is imperative that he sticks it out, pays off his schooling and get experience. Experience in truck driving is everything. After he gets a solid year of experience he will be eligible for better jobs. After two, something better. After three years experience, he will qualify for the absolute best truck driving jobs out there.

Go here and ask for help. Certain companies are better than others.

TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board

If you want and are able to, you guys can go together, and once you both get the green light to drive on your own, you guys can drive together as a team. Teams get the best equipment, the best routes, the best pay.
If worse comes to worse, after this school year I may do that. LOL It's got to pay better than what I get as a dispatcher-37k before taxes and health, take home is 22K a year. That's why we are drowning.

He has a whistle clean license. His only ticket in 30 years was 29 years ago right after we got married-long off his record for a muffler. He's squeaky clean on the criminal too. So it's something for him to think about. I'll pass this information along to him.

Thanks for all the great info on that. It's worth me checking out too as I've got 29 years with my commercial license and I have my start as a 19-A examiner as a trainer. Can't hurt to check that end out too.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
HA is right on the money with the truck driving. And yes, the kind of time to get hired for an 8 dollar an hour retail job is ridiculous. Mine took about that long and the amount of work that is done for that dab of money is ridiculous too, but that's the way it is now.
Minimum wage used to be for teenagers. Not adults well into their work years. I get stuck going backwards too with my CDL-around here even with experience, you get put back on the bottom when you change jobs. It's why most people once in, don't leave.

The last place I worked hired me after shattering my ankle and I was still recovering. Medical collections as I had the certifications, I used them to get a job. $10hr. But the kicker was the HR manager told me they hired me only because they though like everyone else on their payroll, my resume was made up. Once I started working there, they were shocked to find it was all legit. Course when I resigned after I got my civil service job, he tried to pay me $.25 more an hour to keep me. The HR person actually laughed at him and said "you can't even come close to what the salary she's going to will be". Heck the office manager didn't even make 25K there overseeing 100 people. It was joke. And then he wonder why he can't keep employees as he just cut everyone there back to $9hr. Even people who'd worked for him for 15 years. They are all leaving.

Eventually this will improve in the job market. I don't see it happening though in my lifetime again.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,272 times
I noticed that there where a lot of ads for school bus drivers in my county. I asked my son to talk to his bus driver about hours.

Turns out they drive for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours after school with the occasional field trip or school activity.

Starting pay is around $15/hr, so $60 a day for most days.

The issue is that you have to drive to the bus depot twice a day.

If it is a 30 mile round trip, that is 60 miles of driving a day for your job. A car can easily cost 45 cents per mile to drive when taking into account all expenses it takes to own a vehicle. 45 cpm x 60 miles a day is 27 dollars, almost half your daily pay so it really wouldn't be worth it for a lot of people.

Now if you could limit your driving between the morning and after school driving and do something else like working another job, it could be a real good situation for someone.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I noticed that there where a lot of ads for school bus drivers in my county. I asked my son to talk to his bus driver about hours.

Turns out they drive for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours after school with the occasional field trip or school activity.

Starting pay is around $15/hr, so $60 a day for most days.

The issue is that you have to drive to the bus depot twice a day.

If it is a 30 mile round trip, that is 60 miles of driving a day for your job. A car can easily cost 45 cents per mile to drive when taking into account all expenses it takes to own a vehicle. 45 cpm x 60 miles a day is 27 dollars, almost half your daily pay so it really wouldn't be worth it for a lot of people.

Now if you could limit your driving between the morning and after school driving and do something else like working another job, it could be a real good situation for someone.
I eat cars in my line of work. Even though I am full time as the dispatcher, I have a split shift. 5am to 9am, then 12pm to 4pm. It's 20 miles a day on the car, not including other things I do outside of work.

Starting pay at the district I work for is $20.01hr. Sounds great, but most runs are 4 1/2-5 hours daily. No benefits unless you are 30hrs or more. But the cost of the health insurance is cost prohibitive and I only have 2 drivers out of 56 who have it.

They won't consider hiring my husband at the district I work for. It's a conflict of interest since they consider me a supervisor. He's going to look at trucking firms to see who he's still got contacts with to see after he gets his CDL permit, who is willing to hire him and train him to get the CDL for the road test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search