U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,174,853 times

Advertisements

Here's another question.

The hubby applied here to a grocery chain. He's now gone through three interviews, all which he said went well. It's for a minimum wage job-$9hr as a meat wrapper. It's now week 4 into the process. He was told there were 400 people that applied for this new store and they are still interviewing. How long does it take these days just to get a job? Geesh. He keeps stepping backwards in terms of jobs. Now he can't even get a entry level job. What gives? He had only two jobs since being in the Army back in 1985. Worked for a quarry as a ready mix concrete dispatcher-21 years. Then when they sold out and he found another job that was only part time, 20 hrs a week at $9.97hr as a transfill tech filling oxygen tanks.

This is part of why we need to relocate. Jobs here are scarce, too many are out of work here in the Hudson Valley still. And experienced workers can't even get hired for any type of job. He's sent out over 300 resumes. Applied to every big box chain out there. Nothing but this ONE interview since June.

It's beyond frustrating at this point. He's gone to the local One Stop here for NYS job search. All they did was tell him to rewrite the resume-it's one that they did after NYS DOL sent him to HVAC school. But didn't say how or for what reason. He never did land a job in that field due to his age-51. And gave him the website links he already uses.

While we totally get he'll never make 50K a year again, it's become even impossible to make $15k. Which I don't get at all.

So does he revamp the resume and how? It's lists skills, experience and education. Or does he get out of Dodge here and go off to another state to look. I don't make enough here to keep us afloat. My union stinks and it's now 45% of my salary paying health insurance each month. You can't live here, own a home and pay taxes(over 8K) on a take home of $1600 a month. I am drowning until June when our youngest graduates, then it's on to get out of here.

Advice please. I can work anywhere with a CDL as a school bus driver/trainer/dispatcher. The industry has HUGE turn over and I've already had job offers out of state.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 AM

11,134 posts, read 8,548,081 times
I hope this doesn't sound rude. Your husband has to update his skills. It sounds like he is trying to make it as an unskilled worker. That's hard to do.

1. He needs to identify the job titles that pay the salary he wants to make.
2. He needs to get the skills, training, certs, etc. that the job requires.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I hope this doesn't sound rude. Your husband has to update his skills. It sounds like he is trying to make it as an unskilled worker. That's hard to do.

1. He needs to identify the job titles that pay the salary he wants to make.
2. He needs to get the skills, training, certs, etc. that the job requires.
Well the salary's here now don't match what he used to at all. That's an issue. He did go back to learn HVAC and got the certifications needed, but still hasn't landed a job-they all want experience and he can't get it if he can't get hired. Heck even the school district I work for is so dysfunctional and under pays us compared to all the other districts here-I landed here with a civil service job and am waiting for a lateral move. If we don't starve by then.

As a dispatcher, he managed 25 drivers, handled sales the final year for 7 million, customer service, weigh master and a bunch of other things. He's got skills that will transfer. Our area has little to no construction going on. Manufacturing dried up here too-IBM back in the 90's let go 10,000 people here. It's all retail or grocery chains here now. Low paying jobs. He'd have to commute towards NYC to get something that pays over $10hr.

He spent a lot of time at NYS job service and they really didn't help him identify anything or help point him in a direction. Should he look at temp jobs? Again, low paying. A recruiter? He's frustrated as it should take a month and three interviews to become a meat wrapper-his sister did the same dang job in high school wit NO experience. He has experience of decades of butchering deer and knows his cuts and how to cook meat. He passed that part with flying colors. He's just never seen anything take so long to get hired.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:29 AM

11,134 posts, read 8,548,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
As a dispatcher, he managed 25 drivers, handled sales the final year for 7 million, customer service, weigh master and a bunch of other things. He's got skills that will transfer. .
Which skills are those?

Weight master--is there a market for that?
Customer service --that's low paying
Sales--he doesn't have the background to get the real, high paying sales jobs

Sorry, but having a bunch of random "skills" doesn't cut it in today's market. He needs to be able to show a consistent career/training path.

How long ago did he get his HVAC credentials? If it's fairly recent, look at this link. He maybe able to get an apprenticeship: Entry Level HVAC Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com=

Old 02-20-2016, 02:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
I feel your frustration and pain and without telling my 7 year story I am just going to suggest that he too get a CDL and drive a school bus if the turnover is that great. Hey, why not?
Or sign up with a trucking company that trains those they hire.
Or get into an HVAV, or other, apprenticeship program where you work while you learn.
Moving is expensive and the liklihood of things being a lot different for a 51 year old with all you've reported is rather slim.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Which skills are those?

Weight master--is there a market for that?
Customer service --that's low paying
Sales--he doesn't have the background to get the real, high paying sales jobs

Sorry, but having a bunch of random "skills" doesn't cut it in today's market. He needs to be able to show a consistent career/training path.

How long ago did he get his HVAC credentials? If it's fairly recent, look at this link. He maybe able to get an apprenticeship: Entry Level HVAC Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com=
Well there are still weighmaster jobs out there. Quarries, trucking companies use them all the time. So there is that.

There's no way in our area to get a good career path. Guy even applied to Home Depot an couldn't get hired even with extensive construction knowledge. Makes no sense. I can't afford to send him to school as I just don't make that much even working full time.

He did the HVAC in 2009. He's been looking since. He knocks on the same doors and they are still closed to him. He has the knowledge to be a good dispatcher in that field. That has skills that transfer for sure. Dispatching is dispatching. He knows how to move perishable product in the most cost effective, timely manner.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I feel your frustration and pain and without telling my 7 year story I am just going to suggest that he too get a CDL and drive a school bus if the turnover is that great. Hey, why not?
Or sign up with a trucking company that trains those they hire.
Or get into an HVAV, or other, apprenticeship program where you work while you learn.
Moving is expensive and the liklihood of things being a lot different for a 51 year old with all you've reported is rather slim.
He's been looking since the quarry he worked for sold in 2008. For full time here. He's worked that miserable part time job, we even tried to start a business that did OK at the start then, wham YouTube and the internet took that income away after a 1 1/2 years. He had a dryer vent cleaning business that also did central ac cleanings.

He'd NEVER drive a school bus, no patience. It's not for everyone. I've been in it since 1986. And the industry has attracted some that are doing it for the wrong reasons, you see it on TV all the time. And depending where you are, salaries vary wildly. It's what's hurting it.

He's got the CDL book and is trying the permit test this week for Class A. He drove trucks back in the Army, so that's not a huge deal. Finding a place to train, that's harder. The local place here charges $3000 to train for the license.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
I sympathize. I have not had a full-time job since 2009 and it is not for lack of trying. 3 part-time in 3 years, laid off 2 of them. I've applied to so many full and part-time jobs and fully qualified for all but only got a part-time retail job that took 2 months to apply and get hired. I've done some contract delivery work and am now going to try some self-employment doing pet sitting and setting up an Ebay store. I am 61 this past week and counting the months till I am 62 and then it's SS for me plus my own contract/self-employment income.
I sense you have the same feelings of frustration and chronic sense of absolute disbelief that he cannot get a job. Well I have come to realize that this is a fact in my life and I'll be damned if I know what to do except try to ''employ'' myself and that is what I am doing.
It has to be our age and I have met others locally in my retail job who are in the same boat-cannot get hired no matter how they try. I think it's a combination of being 50+, the ridiculous hiring processes now in place a lot of the time, and the shortage of jobs.
Delivery jobs are going to pick up here as our major grocery suppliers are going to do their shopping on-line and will likely want them delivered to their home. He might want to look at courier or contract delivery opportunities.
I thought about the school bus gigs around here but probably would run the bus into a ditch in a fit of hysteria! LOL

Old 02-20-2016, 11:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,701 times
This is my suggestion. You need something NOW. His other jobs and skills are not going to get him something in today's job market if he hasn't found anything already. After 300 applications, the writing is on the wall. It is completely over saturated with people looking for lower level work.

Send him off to truck driving school. There are plenty that will cover all his training, get his CDL, give him a job, then he pays back the training costs over the next year of work. Very little out of pocket money needed.

If he calls and signs up Monday, he will be working in about 3-4 weeks. The big operations start new classes every single week.

They will also pay for his bus ticket to school, housing while there, some even pay you a little per week while training etc... Each company does it a little different.

Of course this all depends on him qualifying with respect to drug test, driving record, criminal record etc.....

Now, his first year is going to absolutely suck. It's tough and starting pay is low. There is just no way around it. It is imperative that he sticks it out, pays off his schooling and get experience. Experience in truck driving is everything. After he gets a solid year of experience he will be eligible for better jobs. After two, something better. After three years experience, he will qualify for the absolute best truck driving jobs out there.

Go here and ask for help. Certain companies are better than others.

TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board

If you want and are able to, you guys can go together, and once you both get the green light to drive on your own, you guys can drive together as a team. Teams get the best equipment, the best routes, the best pay.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:20 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,701 times
I also want to say that 3+ interviews and 4+ weeks just to fill a $9/hr job is absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search