U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 02:08 PM

603 posts, read 715,338 times

Advertisements

So I live in California, but am originally from the East Coast. I've been told by 2 or 3 people that having a number local to where I live matters to some companies.

I wasn't sure if this was true because I do have a California address.

I had contemplated changing my number, but I didn't want to change my number after applying to jobs with my old number. I was thinking I'd continue my job search, save the jobs I want to apply to, wait a week, change my number, then apply to those jobs.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 02:14 PM

532 posts, read 749,888 times
Not where I work. When I receive an application, the last thing I look at is the phone number. We just hired a new employee and he does not have a local area code, but I could care less.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:18 PM

22,401 posts, read 9,516,966 times
I don't think it matters any more. Now that a lot of people keep their cellphone numbers because everyone they know has those numbers, and because they are often tied to all of your accounts, people do not think it is odd if you don't have a local number. In South Florida, people have all kinds of different area codes, and nobody questions it at all.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 1,462,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
So I live in California, but am originally from the East Coast. I've been told by 2 or 3 people that having a number local to where I live matters to some companies.

I had contemplated changing my number, but I didn't want to change my number after applying to jobs with my old number. I was thinking I'd continue my job search, save the jobs I want to apply to, wait a week, change my number, then apply to those jobs.

Any thoughts?

As long as they see that California address, then I am pretty sure they will look right past your number.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,117,536 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I don't think phone numbers matter. I've lived in 3 different states recently, but have maintained my original phone number. I have gotten plenty interviews without issues.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM

5,060 posts, read 3,233,000 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I was getting calls from agencies on the East coast, for a "Chat" then they'd direct me to their "Affiliate"... if the call went further....

Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,249,297 times
Address is much more important than the phone number.

Lots of companies won't hire lower level candidates from out of state, even when the candidate is willing to pay for their own relocation.

Kind of defeats the purpose of "just look out of state if you can't find a job".

Old 02-21-2016, 08:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,992,179 times
Regarding phone numbers, I recently talked to someone whose son works with an agency that sells software to human resource agencies and departments. She mentioned that there is a trend now with companies wanting to weed out applicants more and more, and one of the criteria they're looking at, is developing filters that weed out applicants who have numbers associated with burner phones, Tracfones or other non-contract phones. The reasoning is (supposedly) that applicants with burner phones probably have poor credit, or are kids fresh out of college who don't have the wherewithal to get a "real" phone.

Or whatever. It sounded crazy to me, but it also kind of sounded like the just the kind of insane/unfair thing that companies would do, to add an extra barrier to stem the flood tide of applicants. (As in, it wouldn't disqualify you, but it would be a negative during whatever automated application review process they have.)

Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM

2,947 posts, read 3,061,986 times
This reminds me of something my brother did when we moved to California years ago. We both got a job at the same factory and shared an apartment. The company insisted that we give them our phone number and we didn't want to so my brother gave them the number of the pay phone outside our local market. One day the Supervisor asked my brother "How many people do you have living in your place, every time I call you somebody different answers ?". I don't think he ever figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or