Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

I applied for part time job about week ago. I got a call this morning from them wanting to interview this Wednesday. But the lady said she needed my date of birth, 15 minutes later I get email with "At this time we are pursuing other applicants" The date of birth was the killer deal for me I guess, I rather them just say hey you're too old for what we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
I applied for part time job about week ago. I got a call this morning from them wanting to interview this Wednesday. But the lady said she needed my date of birth, 15 minutes later I get email with "At this time we are pursuing other applicants" The date of birth was the killer deal for me I guess, I rather them just say hey you're too old for what we're looking for.
Well, that is not at all illegal.

(sarcasm alert)

Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 PM

152 posts, read 185,608 times
Based on that they can tell how old u are. And may not hire u ur age. Too young or too old.
That's why I put my graduation date from high school. So they can figure out my age. And not waste my time. Discrimination will always be alive .

Old 02-22-2016, 02:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Well, that is not at all illegal.

(sarcasm alert)
You're right, it's not illegal.

Where was the sarcasm?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 16,171 times
if you're over 40 and they have 20 or more workers you can file a complaint with the EEOC and be awarded damages. Because it's against the law for employers to ask you how old you are or your DOB during an interview or even a phone session. They can only ask if you're over 18.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0905 View Post
if you're over 40 and they have 20 or more workers you can file a complaint with the EEOC and be awarded damages. Because it's against the law for employers to ask you how old you are or your DOB during an interview or even a phone session. They can only ask if you're over 18.
Age related questions are to be avoided during the interview, but it's not illegal to ask an applicant their age.

And good luck to anyone out there that wants to prove age discrimination. Companies are very experienced in getting away with it.

Is it Illegal to Ask for a Job Applicant's Date of Birth?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO ASK a person's age or date of birth, it's illegal if it was the basis of a hiring decision.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Nice made-up legal advice there.

It's not like you file a complaint and get a check.

The EEOC cannot award damages. That requires a lawsuit. The EEOC files lawsuits in less than 1% of the cases it reviews, so they tend to only file in egregious cases that impact lots of people, or ones that will set precedents. That leaves individuals to get their own lawyers and file their own suits - after the EEOC says they can. Good luck with that.

Oh yeah....and there's no law against asking questions about age (or marital status or any other protected class) during an interview or any other time. What is illegal is actually discriminating against protected classes, not asking about them. Smart companies don't ask those kinds of questions to avoid even the appearance of discrimination, but that doesn't mean it's illegal.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'm assuming the Dept of Fair Employment and Housing in CA is similar to the EEOC. The reason there aren't many lawsuits by the DEFH is because over 80% of the complaints are settled - not because the DEFH didn't pursue cases because they weren't setting precedents.

Also, at least in CA, you no longer need permission to sue. And you shouldn't need a lawyer until you get to the mandatory mediation phase, which takes about a year, from my understanding. Having a lawyer isn't required, but probably a good idea at that point. And your lawyer gets to use all the info and documents that the DEFH gathered during their investigation.

The more complaints about discrimination the better, IMO.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 2,394 times
I just thought it was strange, I'm not thinking of lawsuit of any kind. I rather they just put what their age limit is for the job.
That would at least save me time and them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search