U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

607 posts, read 762,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
2 phone interviews, 1 4-hr in person interview. They said they'd get back to me in a few days. It's been a few weeks.

Let me guess ... I'm entitled and "No one owes you a rejection email"

But companies are entitled to 4 hours of my time (excluding the commute time)??
No, you are not an entitled Brat. I would suggest that in the future, you follow up in no less than one week via email and/or phone with the person you interviewed with regarding the status of the position to reiterate your interest in the position and to determine where the company is in the decision making process. (to see if you have been dropped as a candidate or not)

Companies today basically have zero manners. They want you to jump through hoops, and they (HR) can behave as rude and as impolite as they wish... (not ALL, but many companies are this way). I have found the managers I have interviewed with to be more polite and courteous than the HR folks, but that's just my experience.

Be thankful that you did not go to work there. You don't want to work with people who can't give you the courtesy of a yay or nay. Imagine how irritating that can be when it comes to reviews and raises.

Keep moving on.... I suggest ALWAYS to follow up to make sure you are not left wondering.

Let it go... be thankful that you did not get that job. You will get a better job! Just keep at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,782,978 times
It's not "owed" to you, but it's incredibly unprofessional on their part.

With the way so much contact is now done over email, how hard is it to send a form email out to the people you don't hire.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,660,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
It's not "owed" to you, but it's incredibly unprofessional on their part.

With the way so much contact is now done over email, how hard is it to send a form email out to the people you don't hire.
maybe it was an auto generated email that the spam blocker deleted?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,094,286 times
Is it rude? Yes, undeniably.

Is it common? Yes, unfortunately.

My husband ran into the same problem when he was interviewing for a job in academia. Now, these are universities that would FLY him across the country for an interview, put him up in a nice hotel for a day or two, feed him, rent him a car, and spend a day or a day and a half interviewing him with multiple faculty members, observing as he taught a class as a "guest speaker", etc., etc. Of the 9 schools he interviewed with, only ONE came back later and said "thanks but no thanks." Another six -- silence. And it wasn't because of an overwhelming number of applicants, either -- at that level of the process, you're only talking to 3 or 4 candidates. The last two made an offer. And the ones with the dead silence -- these are people that he is going to be seeing at academic conferences for the next 20 years, so it's not as if they figure "hey, we'll never see him again." He saw one guy a few months later, and asked if they had filled the position, and the guy said, jovially, "Oh, yeah, we filled that right after you interviewed!" My husband mentioned that "oh, I wondered, I never heard back," and the guy said "Well, we had FOUR people, it's hard to get letters out to EVERYONE."

So, basically, it's bad manners combined with laziness. Don't tell me it's hard to write three letters -- or even emails! -- that say, "Thank you very much for your interest in _____ position at ____ University. We regret to inform you that while your credentials were impressive, we have chosen to move forward with an offer to another candidate. Best wishes with your job search."

It doesn't have to be heartfelt and personal. It just has to be CLOSURE. For everyone. Candidate knows that they can move on without wondering if an offer is pending. But many people are so afraid of being sued or having the plaintive email fire back saying, "BUT WHY!?!?!?!" that they just duck and avoid it altogether.

Get used to it. *sigh* I told my husband that if he EVER did that to a future candidate in his department, I would personally smack him upside the head.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 PM

292 posts, read 1,056,509 times
In ye olden days (the 90s ), I received a paper letter or postcard for jobs I interviewed for (and some I didn't get that far with). One would think that with current HR management software that dashing off a pre-made, generic thanks-but-no-thanks email to applicants for that particular position would be a no-brainer and about two minutes of work.

Yes, business etiquette is not what it used to be.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 PM

4,658 posts, read 2,291,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
They weren't entitled to your time. You chose to give it to them.

Feeling like you're owed something just for participating in a process is basically textbook entitlement. So, yeah....
It's not about entitlement. It's called professionalism.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
2 phone interviews, 1 4-hr in person interview. They said they'd get back to me in a few days. It's been a few weeks.

Notifying you in some way is the courteous and professional thing to do. You don't want to work for a company that acts like that. Imagine what they act like when they aren't trying to impress you?

It may be their M.O. that they wait for the interviewee to check back with them. I can't believe you waited WEEKS to follow up! I would have called after a few days.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,113,371 times
You're not being a brat, but you are setting yourself up for disappointments by expecting anything from these employers. When I interview for jobs, the only thing I expect is an offer letter. If that's not happening, I.MOVE.ON and take everything that follows that particular experience lightly. Don't take things so personally.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM

27,317 posts, read 15,776,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No, you're certainly not a ''brat''. You are expecting professionalism and what used to be common courtesy and what my parents' generation called ''manners''.
These things are the exception and no longer the rule in our impersonal and rude/crude society where people are often just numbers and fodder for recruiters and HR types.
I used to be like you, but now have more or less realized, after much experience, that most of the time you will hear nothing back.
If you get an ''offer'', unless it's in writing, there is no viable relationship between you and an employer.
To twist the knife further, if you are in an ''at will'' state they can let you go at any time for any reason or no reason.
Given all this, it's best to just move on and not lose sleep over these situations. Let it go.
This post. Common courtesy doesn't exist in the world anymore whether it is at the workplace or outside of it.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,003,535 times
Quote:

A company that can't be bothered to at least drop you an e-mail under the circumstances is not a company I would be eager to work for.

And I wouldn't have waited more than a week or 10 days to check on the results.

It sounds like they are stupidly disorganized. Chalk it up to experience and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or