Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:58 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,212,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
2 phone interviews, 1 4-hr in person interview. They said they'd get back to me in a few days. It's been a few weeks.

Let me guess ... I'm entitled and "No one owes you a rejection email"

But companies are entitled to 4 hours of my time (excluding the commute time)??
As another poster indicated, no one is entitled to your time. However, you CHOSE to give them that time in hopes of landing a job. Is it wrong to expect a least a "thanks, but no thanks"? Absolutely not. However, it doesn't do you any good to dwell on it. Just move on. It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.

The time and money (e.g. gas, bus fare, etc.) spent is essentially a "business investment". Just as a vendor may spend hours meeting with potential clients and creating proposals. However, it doesn't always mean they're going to get the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,552,760 times
No, you're certainly not a ''brat''. You are expecting professionalism and what used to be common courtesy and what my parents' generation called ''manners''.
These things are the exception and no longer the rule in our impersonal and rude/crude society where people are often just numbers and fodder for recruiters and HR types.
I used to be like you, but now have more or less realized, after much experience, that most of the time you will hear nothing back.
If you get an ''offer'', unless it's in writing, there is no viable relationship between you and an employer.
To twist the knife further, if you are in an ''at will'' state they can let you go at any time for any reason or no reason.
Given all this, it's best to just move on and not lose sleep over these situations. Let it go.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:22 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,192,620 times
The interviewer was rude. If that is the way the company operates be glad they did not hire you.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 AM

13,651 posts, read 12,304,731 times
Are you entitled to think its owed to you? I don't think so. I think its reasonable for them to at least send you a dear John form letter.

However, past experience would tell me that its unreasonable to EXPECT it. Lots of places don't provide that follow up.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,375,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I hate when companies do that. They should've sent you an email or something. They're basically keeping your hopes up and leaving you in stress for not sending an email. On the other hand, if a company is not willing to send you an email, especially after two or three interviews, then you should be glad you're not working for them. While I hate being rejected, I've always respected when they send me an email. I hope you find something better soon. Good luck.

The company does not want to burn its bridge with the candidate by sending the rejection letter. If their first choice does not work out, they may call back with an offer.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,746,274 times
They didn’t get back to you. I wouldn’t consider that a rejection. I wonder if OP followed up after a few days of not hearing back? If not, shame on him.

Other than that, in these types of situations, I would expect a response if I were rejected. But it is unclear if OP was rejected.

Follow up and make them tell you that it’s a no or that they have not made a decision.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM

1,188 posts, read 955,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
However, past experience would tell me that its unreasonable to EXPECT it. Lots of places don't provide that follow up.
Well, my expectations have dropped over time.

I used to think it was strange when I applied for a position and never heard back either way. Later I considered that to be normal.

I thought it was normal to not hear back after applying but that I'd certainly hear back after a phone interview or two. Later I considered it normal to not hear anything even after a phone interview or two.

I never thought I'd get to the point where after two phone interviews, 1 lengthy in-person interview, and having exchanged friendly banter with several of the interviewers during the process, almost to the point where I feel like I know them already, I would get the silence treatment. It almost feels like I've been betrayed or duped.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,746,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Well, my expectations have dropped over time.

I used to think it was strange when I applied for a position and never heard back either way. Later I considered that to be normal.

I thought it was normal to not hear back after applying but that I'd certainly hear back after a phone interview or two. Later I considered it normal to not hear anything even after a phone interview or two.

I never thought I'd get to the point where after two phone interviews, 1 lengthy in-person interview, and having exchanged friendly banter with several of the interviewers during the process, almost to the point where I feel like I know them already, I would get the silence treatment. It almost feels like I've been betrayed or duped.
Meh. Been there - same thing...2 phone interviews, a lengthy face to face where I interviewed with 2 separate people. No call back, no email, nothing. I called to follow up, got no answer so left a voicemail. Nothing. I sent an email to follow up. Nothing. I called again, got no answer so left a voicemail. Guess what...nothing.

I got over it.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 AM

80 posts, read 79,194 times
I don't know about what's required, entitled, etc. Different companies do different things.

With that being said, I do think it's rude not to write someone back.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,151,259 times
***** about it on glassdoor

But one company I went on nine interview over three days and they even took me to lunch and no call back other than I am still being considered.

That was firm policy never to give a rejection letter as it is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. My last interview was in 1993 with them so I guess I am still being considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search