U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 710,625 times

Advertisements

2 phone interviews, 1 4-hr in person interview. They said they'd get back to me in a few days. It's been a few weeks.

Let me guess ... I'm entitled and "No one owes you a rejection email"

But companies are entitled to 4 hours of my time (excluding the commute time)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 PM

57 posts, read 36,130 times
Did you follow up to "check your status"?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:14 PM

117 posts, read 86,861 times
They weren't entitled to your time. You chose to give it to them.

Feeling like you're owed something just for participating in a process is basically textbook entitlement. So, yeah....

Old 02-23-2016, 09:15 PM

341 posts, read 1,013,801 times
Default Yeah

I work in HR and I think it is incredibly rude after interviewing to not hear back from them especially since you've called. That's happened to me before and it is extremely unprofessional. But by now I think I wouldn't dwell and move on to the next best opportunity.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 PM

928 posts, read 860,845 times
No, you are not an entitled brat, but you need to learn how to deal with rejection. In my opinion, and I have been there believe me, if you feel so butt-hurt about not getting a rejection letter than you are giving too much power to employers to begin with.

If you really believed and behaved like you are in great demand as a worker and a skillset, some temporary rejection wouldn't faze you. I know its easier said than done but think about it first.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 PM

18,844 posts, read 7,328,222 times
Yes, OP, based on your overall posts, you are entitled.

The number one concern they have and should have is securing an agreement with the candidate they chose. They have a business to run which depends on hiring well, which includes not selecting incorrectly.

When applying for jobs, wise candidates do what good running backs do-never stop moving.

focus on other opportunities. Not getting your ego stroked by a "personal" rejection letter.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:30 PM

363 posts, read 309,015 times
I hate when companies do that. They should've sent you an email or something. They're basically keeping your hopes up and leaving you in stress for not sending an email. On the other hand, if a company is not willing to send you an email, especially after two or three interviews, then you should be glad you're not working for them. While I hate being rejected, I've always respected when they send me an email. I hope you find something better soon. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
I don't necessarily think anyone is being an 'entitled brat' for simply expecting the most basics of common courtesy.

But I also think one should be realistic that not all companies will extend this courtesy.

Looking back I've had a mix of experiences. Some companies I never heard back from even after interviewing (and this was at a company where I was recommended by a senior manager there, who I used to work with before). Some companies gave me the standard "thanks for applying, but" email.

So these days if I don't hear back from anyone, I just write it off.

My current manager personally phones every candidate to let them know why they won't be moving forward with them as applicants.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 PM

58 posts, read 32,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
I work in HR and I think it is incredibly rude after interviewing to not hear back from them especially since you've called. That's happened to me before and it is extremely unprofessional. But by now I think I wouldn't dwell and move on to the next best opportunity.
I agree.

This is very unprofessional. I've had things like this (and worse) happen to me on my job hunt.

You most likely dodged a bullet.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 AM

852 posts, read 1,558,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
2 phone interviews, 1 4-hr in person interview. They said they'd get back to me in a few days. It's been a few weeks.

Let me guess ... I'm entitled and "No one owes you a rejection email"

But companies are entitled to 4 hours of my time (excluding the commute time)??
You complained when they DO send you rejection WITHOUT wasting 4 hours or your time:

How many times has this happened to you?

and now you complain when they DON'T send you a rejection?

You are not entitled, you have issues with dealing with rejection of any kind.

The only form of correspondence from potential employers you seem happy with are offers and ones that validates your impression of the interview:

Wow! I had a string of good luck the past 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or