U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:09 AM

10 posts, read 12,248 times

Advertisements

I've practiced, rehearsed, and lived through all of the common interview questions to the point where I could answer virtually anything thrown at me... except the "what do you do for fun" question.

Long story short, I'm in my early 20s and all of the things I enjoy are particularly sleepy: writing, drawing, sewing, reading, listening to classical music, ect. Unfortunately, no entry-level job hiring manager wants to hear this they want chipper, high-energy, extroverted personalities. I can fake this well enough on any job shift, but the interview is a different matter. I always find myself at a loss for words at trying to put a socialite spin on what I like to do, only to see the hiring manager's face droop when they see through my thinly veiled lie and realize the truth: I sit alone at home and stare at paper for fun.

(Also, there's that side issue of all of this having very little to do with serving ice cream or stocking grocery shelves.)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
"no entry-level job hiring manager wants to hear this ." I don't believe this to be true. The assistant director used to ask this question because he genuinely wanted to know what people liked to do. Another guy asks the question because he wants to know that you have a life and interests outside of work. I don't ask the question because it has nothing to do with what I am hiring you for. If you think you need to put a spin on it, say,"I'm very artistic and creative, so I like to spend my time drawing, sewing, and doing things that are both hands-on and engage my mind." If you actually find a manager who doesn't want to give you a job because you read and sew, well, they are a douche and you don't want to work for them anyway.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,390,602 times
I would never ask that kind of question either, but I would expect the answer to be suited to the position you are applying for. Interviewers for a programmer might like to hear that someone programs games at home for fun. If you are applying at Home Depot, home renovations and repairs would be a great response. If applying for serving ice cream or stocking shelves, I can't imagine what they could be looking for, I would just be honest.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
I don't think it is true either. They might be disappointed because they saw that you lied... not that you sat at home. They are fine with me and I like to read/sleep/play computers/etc. I tell them I generally just relax, then come in ready to work...

I get the feeling they just want to make sure you aren't some "oddball" with unusual hobbies like raising 5 legged animals. And if you do raise them, it's because you enjoy having mutant animals following you.

Or if they ask, it really isn't "part" of the interview, just them being curious and getting to know you. See if we have anything in common but nothing more than that. As in they already "like" you as a candidate, and are just getting to know you to see if you would fit in. If they didn't "care", they might not really care what you do because they already made up their mind not to hire. And would be a waste of time to even ask.

I see it as a good thing they are interested in what I do, since it meant they are interested in "me" and not my hobbies that everyone and their pets can do.

Be honest and genuine?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,870 times
I wouldn't say I enjoy watching TV.

Probably should be something productive, for your community etc...

Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
I had a question like that during my last interview. I wished I had answered differently but now I know how to answer it.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
I love creative past-times. My two favorite are seeing and writing. I hope one day to publish a novel, but until I polish my skills I am working on blah, and have contributed to blah. Sewing is my other creative pursuit. I love taking cloth from two dimensions and creating a three dimensional garment. My last project was widget, but I would like to tackle gizmo next. Seeing engages my mind and my hands at the same time.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,683,396 times
i like to say things that are healthy and wholesome and benign, such as gardening, making quilts, hiking, spending time in nature, counted cross stich, crafts projects.

i try to stay away from things that may be controversial, so i don't mention things like religion and prayer. I would not mention things like politics, protests, gay rights, environmental causes. Even things like dancing and art and meditation i don't mention because they can be seen as flaky.

at one job interview they asked me "what would you bring to the office potluck" and i thought they were joking, but it turns out they were not. it was an office that took their food and potlucks very seriously and it was a standard interview question and yes it made a difference who they hired.

So mentioning cooking and baking would be a positive something to mention also, but make sure you can deliver. At the interview where they asked me what food i would bring, i was honest and said i am not accomplished in the kitchen but i named the store bought items i would contribute (i listed 3 or 4) and this went over well because i did get the job. And yes i brought those items to the potluck. One person on the panel said she marked me down for not mentioning chocolate.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i like to say things that are healthy and wholesome and benign, such as gardening, making quilts, hiking, spending time in nature, counted cross stich, crafts projects.

i try to stay away from things that may be controversial, so i don't mention things like religion and prayer. I would not mention things like politics, protests, gay rights, environmental causes. Even things like dancing and art and meditation i don't mention because they can be seen as flaky.

at one job interview they asked me "what would you bring to the office potluck" and i thought they were joking, but it turns out they were not. it was an office that took their food and potlucks very seriously and it was a standard interview question and yes it made a difference who they hired.

So mentioning cooking and baking would be a positive something to mention also, but make sure you can deliver. At the interview where they asked me what food i would bring, i was honest and said i am not accomplished in the kitchen but i named the store bought items i would contribute (i listed 3 or 4) and this went over well because i did get the job. And yes i brought those items to the potluck. One person on the panel said she marked me down for not mentioning chocolate.
This comes under the category "fitting into the corporate culture" and while this example sounds odd, it's a valid concern. Another reason to do a lot of research into the company before an interview, including Linkedin to get names, and social media for helpful information.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
"What do I like to do for fun?" is an opportunity to explain what you like to do and how that relates to the business.

Example: I am actively involved in railroad history and preservation. I volunteer at a local railroad museum conducting guided tours for visitors of its collection of rolling stock of engines and cars, tools and equipment, and history of the immediate area affected by the railroad; assist in the restoration and maintenance of engines and rail cars; and serve on the train crew as a brakeman, fireman, engineer and conductor on various runs. Interaction with the public and maintenance and operation of equipment are essential skills to contributing to the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or