U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,988,338 times

Advertisements

I think most people on this forum have given the correct advise as it relates to "dressing up" your resume and qualifications. Essentially, if you pay a professional to create a detailed and cohesive resume, even they will "fluff" the details with pretty adjectives and other bullet points that make you appear more "qualified" than what you probably are.

Even now in 2016 the job market is still quite competitive and rather cut throat is several industries. In all honesty, I don't believe in flat out lying on your resume, but embellishing the truth is actually something I encourage. That's the nature of the job market today, and if "embellishing" your resume is what you need to get noticed, than you need to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 AM

363 posts, read 309,533 times
You should definitely lie or exaggerate when it comes to looking for a job. Employers lie to us all the time. There are job postings for a fancy job title and description, just to realize it's an entry level position that has nothing to do with the posting. Even when you have a job, they promise you'll get a raise, get prompted, or get hired permanent just to end up getting laid off.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
Here's what I'm doing: I worked (working now) landscaping in a very small family owned company. I did two small side jobs during that time. On my resume I said that I completed full scale residential projects and have experience working with customers to come up with designs working within constraints and finish jobs profitably.

I never did that. However, I know how you would do all of it as though I had done it myself. Employers aren't gong to check me on that because they aren't going to call my supervisor, my dad. They'd call my other supervisors. Then, when they ask for examples, I'll just use the residential projects I did work on, except frame them that I'm the one in charge instead of the employee.

Last edited by Phil P; 03-15-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 06:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,856,123 times
Nope, no lies but I do make it all sound better then it is. You spruce it up a bit, but dont ever flat out lie. Mainly because I wouldnt want it coming back to me later after Im settled in the job and how bad it would make you look. Even if I was desperate I dont think I would lie about anything.. I know id be the one to get caught.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM

639 posts, read 293,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Even if I was desperate I dont think I would lie about anything.. I know id be the one to get caught.
Don´t be so scrupulous... the world is not black or white and there is a wide range of colors. I think there is a big difference between a lie and a little white lie. You can exagerate your experience a little and put an skill you barely know. However, personally I am not able to make up that I have a degree I actually don't have or put an experience that never existed. How could you deal with that in a face to face interview? What if you get caught?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 969,492 times
Don't lie about things that can be concretely proved/disproved. This would include things like college attended, saying you have a degree when you don't, dates of prior employment and names of prior employers, memberships in organizations, professional licenses/designations, spoken/written language fluency, and software proficiency (this one can sometimes be stretched a bit).

Pretty-much everyone does some embellishing on a resume to make themselves sound better than they actual are. Things that can often be embellished/polished up would be things like job duties, job titles (depending on the industry), accomplishments, contributions/improvements to processes at previous employers, proficiency with items that are considered to be soft skills - like working with a team. As long as you don't go crazy and stretch the truth too much, it would be difficult for a potential employer to catch you in a lie.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM

457 posts, read 507,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Don't lie about things that can be concretely proved/disproved. This would include things like college attended, saying you have a degree when you don't, dates of prior employment and names of prior employers, memberships in organizations, professional licenses/designations, spoken/written language fluency, and software proficiency (this one can sometimes be stretched a bit).

Pretty-much everyone does some embellishing on a resume to make themselves sound better than they actual are. Things that can often be embellished/polished up would be things like job duties, job titles (depending on the industry), accomplishments, contributions/improvements to processes at previous employers, proficiency with items that are considered to be soft skills - like working with a team. As long as you don't go crazy and stretch the truth too much, it would be difficult for a potential employer to catch you in a lie.
ˆˆˆˆThis. Obviously, only lie about things you CAN do, perhaps things you can do damn well but never get a chance to do on a job because no one will hire you to DO that because you never have any WORK experience doing them. The kind of "lies" you have to tell fresh out of college with your Master's or PhD, for instance. And obviously never put any college degrees you don't have your transcripts for. Little things like that.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:21 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Everyone ends up lying at the interview anyways.

Who goes to an intereview and says:
I am leaving more current job for more moeny or my boss is an @hole
My greatest weakness is I distrust authority and am always late
Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker: We swore at each other and gave each other death stares.
I want to work here because you pay well and are close to where I live.

Interviews and job hunting are all about BS. People are rarely hired and judged on their merits and qualifications nor even the value they can add to the company. Therefore, is no reason to follow the rules of an unfair and dysfunctional game.
Well, the employers are the ones who lead the way. They can do anything they want while interviewing people and they have chosen to make interviewing what it is.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM

457 posts, read 507,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There is practically no way for a company to verify knowledge absolutely if you sound convincing. I know plenty of people who embelish and basically lie their tail off on their resumes, in interviews and in person when talking to them about projects they have done, knowledge, accomplishments etc.... Every single one of them has talked their way into high paying important jobs even though they never actually did it. If you can sound convincing, that is what matters.

Sales is sales.

Every marketer and sales person does it when selling a product or service, so why wouldn't it be done when selling yourself?
Exactly. Someone once said, "if you can do it, it ain't braggin'"

Old 08-03-2016, 07:42 PM

68 posts, read 67,144 times
Follow the rules at your own risk. The day you interview is likely the best day of treatment you will ever get from a potential employer whether they offer you the job or not. So if you have to bend yourself into a pretzel to even get their attention you should probably take note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or