U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM

429 posts, read 296,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You advocate being part of the problem because the problem already exists and is sometimes a much bigger problem?
Because while something is bad, it's less bad?

Add to my depression and another nail in the coffin about how humanity sucks.
Yes. I advocate surviving and not moving into the homeless encampment under the bridge. I advocate getting a job with white lie, or a few white lies, rather than go on public assistance and unemployment. I advocate telling a safe lie, not faking licenses or software development. READ what I wrote.
Yes, there are degrees of badness. There are degrees of "crimes" that 's why we have violations, misdemeanors, felonies. Further, felonies go from A to D. We live in a modern civilization where lying is sometimes necessary.

The Amish have a place for you at the table.
Or you're welcome to go live in the encampment/tent city.
As for your depression, that's on you. I'm not responsible for your "depression." Neither is anybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM

4,652 posts, read 2,290,359 times
Maybe not lie, but you better greatly over-exaggerate every single little thing you did.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM

429 posts, read 296,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Maybe not lie, but you better greatly over-exaggerate every single little thing you did.
that's what the interview is for. just like the employer exaggerates to you.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:28 PM

3,315 posts, read 1,878,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
Yes. I advocate surviving and not moving into the homeless encampment under the bridge. I advocate getting a job with white lie, or a few white lies, rather than go on public assistance and unemployment. I advocate telling a safe lie, not faking licenses or software development. READ what I wrote.
Yes, there are degrees of badness. There are degrees of "crimes" that 's why we have violations, misdemeanors, felonies. Further, felonies go from A to D. We live in a modern civilization where lying is sometimes necessary.

The Amish have a place for you at the table.
Or you're welcome to go live in the encampment/tent city.
As for your depression, that's on you. I'm not responsible for your "depression." Neither is anybody else.
So by the show of this thread and many other places online most people are okay with lying so that means it is very likely that people who interviewed for the same job I did got it over me simply because they lied.
That is very wrong. How can I be unemployable just because I can't lie? Or do I not matter because I am only one person as most people can successfully lie when it all comes down to it?
What you're basically saying to me is you advocate that I should just give up and accept that I'll always be on public assistance because if I can't play the game their way then I'm not going to win.

I'm tired of just accepting that this is the way the world works. I've had enough mistreatment in my life that enough is enough. Somebody needs to do something about this!

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-05-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 164,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
This. I am in a very technical field so if I started lying about my qualifications it would show very quickly. I do exaggerate a bit on my resume which seems quite common.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:21 AM

486 posts, read 721,683 times
Lie or don't lie on your resume. It's your choice. In the end you better know someone to get a job. It is all about connections. Always has been, always will be.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 AM

270 posts, read 185,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Don't lie about things that can be concretely proved/disproved. This would include things like college attended, saying you have a degree when you don't, dates of prior employment and names of prior employers, memberships in organizations, professional licenses/designations, spoken/written language fluency, and software proficiency (this one can sometimes be stretched a bit).

Pretty-much everyone does some embellishing on a resume to make themselves sound better than they actual are. Things that can often be embellished/polished up would be things like job duties, job titles (depending on the industry), accomplishments, contributions/improvements to processes at previous employers, proficiency with items that are considered to be soft skills - like working with a team. As long as you don't go crazy and stretch the truth too much, it would be difficult for a potential employer to catch you in a lie.
^this

As long as its not about education(a degree or a diploma), the dates you worked at an employer, or a job you never worked, then I believe its ok to maybe exaggerate on some skills you have. Basically anything that isn't verifiable.

As I stated in another thread, I lied on my resume about dates. Company checked actual dates,my offer was revoked.

That was the last time I lied on my resume, its not worth losing a job over.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:55 PM

5,460 posts, read 3,295,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
As long as its not about education(a degree or a diploma), the dates you worked at an employer, or a job you never worked, then I believe its ok to maybe exaggerate on some skills you have. Basically anything that isn't verifiable.

I think I can list places out of business like Borders Bookstore and Blockbuster Video. How are they going to verify when those places have been shut down and no longer operating?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM

273 posts, read 152,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I think I can list places out of business like Borders Bookstore and Blockbuster Video. How are they going to verify when those places have been shut down and no longer operating?
That's a great idea!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:23 PM

270 posts, read 185,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
They are going to want a copy of you w2s or will ask you to get a copy of a tax document proving you worked there. But don't worry, this is for companies that are really nosy about your previous work experience. Most companies won't dig that deep into your background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or