Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:08 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times

Advertisements

There is practically no way for a company to verify knowledge absolutely if you sound convincing. I know plenty of people who embelish and basically lie their tail off on their resumes, in interviews and in person when talking to them about projects they have done, knowledge, accomplishments etc.... Every single one of them has talked their way into high paying important jobs even though they never actually did it. If you can sound convincing, that is what matters.

Sales is sales.

Every marketer and sales person does it when selling a product or service, so why wouldn't it be done when selling yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
I haven't. You never know when it could come back and haunt you. All I can think of is Joey from Friends who lied on his resume, stating he could speak French. Well, he couldn't and Phoebe tried to teach him. She tried but Joey just couldn't learn French.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I haven't. You never know when it could come back and haunt you. All I can think of is Joey from Friends who lied on his resume, stating he could speak French. Well, he couldn't and Phoebe tried to teach him. She tried but Joey just couldn't learn French.
You always have to be able to perform what you say. You don't lie and say you can do something you can't, you just sell your current skills as if you are the best and most accomplished. When selling those skills, experience and accomplishments most people lie, lie, lie to make themselves look better than they where, but it doesn't mean they can't do what they say they can do if given the right opportunity.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM

853 posts, read 648,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There is practically no way for a company to verify knowledge absolutely if you sound convincing. I know plenty of people who embelish and basically lie their tail off on their resumes, in interviews and in person when talking to them about projects they have done, knowledge, accomplishments etc.... Every single one of them has talked their way into high paying important jobs even though they never actually did it. If you can sound convincing, that is what matters.

Sales is sales.

Every marketer and sales person does it when selling a product or service, so why wouldn't it be done when selling yourself?
What I said is not completely a lie. What happens is that I learnt SAP because an old friend, responsible of a small chemical plant, introduced me this program but I can´t link this program to a previous experience. I don´t know if it´s correct to say, I know the basics of SAP because I have learnt it by myself.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
have you lied on a resume to get a job?
Yes, I have lied on my resume. Here is my reasoning.

100% of people lie in life. Whoever says they don't lie is lying (I know, not you, not ever lol). Ever have a fat person ask if a dress makes them look fat? I hope you said yes! Otherwise, you're a liar! J/K, but you know what I'm getting at.

Therefore, since all lie, it becomes a matter of what you chose to lie about in life. You can lie about stuff that doesn't get you ahead in life, or you can lie about that which does.

My advise is just lie, but be smart about it. No huge whoppers or tall tales. Idk, we call it embellishing. And only if you can do the job. Whenever I've lied, I was 100% sure I wouldn't be screwing over the employer or anybody else.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 PM

589 posts, read 696,209 times
This is one of those things where people will never admit doing it in public. People will tell you that lying on your resume is wrong, knowing full-well they puff up their resume with exaggerations or flat-out lies.

Most times, the HR department is so rigid and excessive with their job requirements that there is no choice but to lie or get passed over. Plenty of people have lied to get an interview and went on to do the job well. Then again, there are also plenty of liars who talked a good game and got the job but couldn't do it. If either of these types were honest, they never would have gotten the chance to succeed/fail at their new job. Meanwhile, Dudley Do-Right sits at home and wonders why no one responds to his resume.

The American workplace rewards bold-faced liars, plain and simple. If your morals prevent you from lying on your resume, then you better start praying to God for a job. I'm not even kidding.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
You get caught and you're good as gone.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
I've done it multiple times and never got caught. Most bosses forget everything that was on your resume after your hired anyways.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
No, never lied. I've certainly played up the "good" things I have done in my jobs, but I'm not much of a liar.
Me, too. I have 257 semester hours of college credit, but whenever someone thinks I have a Master's degree, I am careful to correct them. I just have a BA with a lot of semester hours.

I am close to retirement now, so it is not much of an issue anymore, but I have wondered in the past if my honesty has put me at a disadvantage against others with false resumes.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Everyone ends up lying at the interview anyways.

Who goes to an intereview and says:
I am leaving more current job for more moeny or my boss is an @hole
My greatest weakness is I distrust authority and am always late
Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker: We swore at each other and gave each other death stares.
I want to work here because you pay well and are close to where I live.

Interviews and job hunting are all about BS. People are rarely hired and judged on their merits and qualifications nor even the value they can add to the company. Therefore, is no reason to follow the rules of an unfair and dysfunctional game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search