Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Wow, I guess I am super naïve. I have never lied on my resume and I am taken aback by how many have admitted to it here or have supported the idea.

I agree that everyone lies in life, but telling someone they look good in a dress or telling someone you are sick to get out of attending an event, is way different (at least to me) than lying about your work experience on paper.

I can't even do that so no way could I lie when it comes to a job. I often wish I could because if I could get away with it I wouldn't even feel bad. The liars get all they want in life and someone as transparent as me falls by the wayside.

I have tried sprucing it up..in fact that's what my coach did but it still doesn't seem to work. It got me a few interviews but no offers. They still have a concern about my lack of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I agree with this completely. Generally people only present their best in an interview. They aren't going to say that they walk in 20 minutes late every day, play on the internet and steal company toilet paper.
Interviews are basically about who can BS the best.

That being said, I've never lied on my resume, but I have fibbed some in interviews. Mostly just embellishments or changing a true story somewhat to fit what I needed. I've never out and out lied, like saying I'm proficient with X program when I've never even seen it. I'm not going to say anything that will bite me in the butt later, but I will make myself sound appealing to get the job.
Why should I have to even fib though? So what if I don't have that much work experience? I often have personal experience and you would be hard pressed to find someone who wants to work as much as I do. Many people only work because they need money.
I have tried wording the truth in a way that sounds appealing anyway but I'm still struggling to do that. It is difficult with my disability and my coach quit on me because I refuse to volunteer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 01:51 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Interviews are basically about who can BS the best.
If you didn't lie well enough, then you didn't match the "fit" they were looking for.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Lying on resume, a lot of people do it. why not me ?

Why not, obama did and look at the good job he got !

Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Lying on resume, a lot of people do it. why not me ?

Why not, obama did and look at the good job he got !
I believe you're looking for this. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Why should I have to even fib though? So what if I don't have that much work experience? I often have personal experience and you would be hard pressed to find someone who wants to work as much as I do. Many people only work because they need money.
I have tried wording the truth in a way that sounds appealing anyway but I'm still struggling to do that. It is difficult with my disability and my coach quit on me because I refuse to volunteer.
Nobody said it was RIGHT that people feel that they have to lie to get a job, but it's the way of the world now. You learn and adapt or you fall to the wayside.

Unfortunately employers don't care about your personal experience. They care what you've done professionally. I doubt that will ever change.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Nobody said it was RIGHT that people feel that they have to lie to get a job, but it's the way of the world now. You learn and adapt or you fall to the wayside.

Unfortunately employers don't care about your personal experience. They care what you've done professionally. I doubt that will ever change.

It's not even just wrong. I feel seriously victimized all over again (and I have been through trauma in the past in my life..it feels exact same) I think science screwed me up at conception. I tried to lie to my mom once about something that I experienced in attempts to protect her but eventually she caught up to me. I am so honest that when people ask me my age, I have this compulsion that I have to fight in my mind that I think my age is a lie.
I want a job so bad that I would be willing to lie if only I knew how and to get away with it but I guess part of it is my conscience won't let me because if I lie about something and then turn around and say I'm a very honest person, I will feel that it's a disservice to them. They'll see that I lied and be like "but you said you were an honest person" Bam I am fired right then. On the other hand I could not add in that I'm honest but that is omitting a very important detail. Honesty is probly one of my few good qualities.

The only way I've gotten by at all in life is by hiding my feelings being reserved but sometimes I can't even do that. If I feel strongly enough they are sure to come out..at least in my body language.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It's not even just wrong. I feel seriously victimized all over again (and I have been through trauma in the past in my life..it feels exact same) I think science screwed me up at conception. I tried to lie to my mom once about something that I experienced in attempts to protect her but eventually she caught up to me. I am so honest that when people ask me my age, I have this compulsion that I have to fight in my mind that I think my age is a lie.
I want a job so bad that I would be willing to lie if only I knew how and to get away with it but I guess part of it is my conscience won't let me because if I lie about something and then turn around and say I'm a very honest person, I will feel that it's a disservice to them. They'll see that I lied and be like "but you said you were an honest person" Bam I am fired right then. On the other hand I could not add in that I'm honest but that is omitting a very important detail. Honesty is probly one of my few good qualities.

The only way I've gotten by at all in life is by hiding my feelings being reserved but sometimes I can't even do that. If I feel strongly enough they are sure to come out..at least in my body language.

When I was a senior in HS, my best friend and I skipped school on day near the end of the term. We got caught and when I got home I walked in the door crying and apologizing to my mom for skipping school. My friend and I had a horrible day because we knew we got caught right from the start.

I am not good at lying!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:26 PM

429 posts, read 390,813 times
I really don't understand the shock or big deal. As long as you don't lie that you know some complicated software or a professional license that you don't have but need. As long as your lie doesn't cost millions of dollars to the company profit or cost someone their physical safety. Why is this so shocking? Politicians never lie to you? Teachers or "professors" never lie to you in school? Salespeople and cog in the wheel govt' workers don't? Just open up the papers and see how many lies people tell and the damage they do far supersedes some nonsense on the resume or in an interview! Some of you must have grown up Mormons or Amish, I swear.

I've lost count of how many prospective employers have lied to me at interviews. How many of them who hired me, lied to me at interviews, and on the job after. If I had a dollar for every time they lied I would be rich and wouldn't need a job. - Come on....^^

Old 08-05-2016, 03:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Lying on resume, a lot of people do it. why not me.

Lots of people do lots of creepy, nasty, selfish, s***bag things.
That doesn't mean I should do them, too.
And just add to the pervasive negative nastiness and dishonesty that already depresses me and makes everyone's lives a little less brighter.

No. No, thanks.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
I really don't understand the shock or big deal. As long as you don't lie that you know some complicated software or a professional license that you don't have but need. As long as your lie doesn't cost millions of dollars to the company profit or cost someone their physical safety. Why is this so shocking? Politicians never lie to you? Teachers or "professors" never lie to you in school? Salespeople and cog in the wheel govt' workers don't? Just open up the papers and see how many lies people tell and the damage they do far supersedes some nonsense on the resume or in an interview! Some of you must have grown up Mormons or Amish, I swear.

^^
You advocate being part of the problem because the problem already exists and is sometimes a much bigger problem?
Because while something is bad, it's less bad?

Add to my depression and another nail in the coffin about how humanity sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search