Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,611 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I’d appreciate it if you could help me out of a pickle I’m in.

In July I was offered my first job in a new industry. However, I was let go last week, for rather embarrassing – but easily fixable – reasons.

The real reasons (there’s a long and involved story in the first one…and I think it was the defining moment of my time there and was the beginning of the end for me…regardless of whatever else I did):

Reason 1 – Not flushing the toilet (now, I THOUGHT I had flushed it (meaning I pulled the handle and heard the sound of the toilet firing up), but I was a fool and didn’t look to make sure. And yes, it was rather messy). This REALLY upset my manager.

Reason 2 – Too many bathroom breaks. (No one brought this up to me, and I could have easily fixed it by drinking a lot less soda and water. I was doing self-study, so I wasn’t making anyone else pick up extra slack, etc.)

Those are the real reasons.

The official reason on my separation paper was that “employee and position were not a good fit.”

And I feel that this puts me in an unwinnable position.

First, I realize that the employer can only verify that I worked there and the dates that I worked there.

However, if I put the job on an application, and that I was only there for 2 months, it’s going to automatically disqualify me. (Or at least I feel that it will.)

I’ve also been tempted to not put it on my resume (which I know I don’t technically have to do), but if it’s on my application and not on my resume, there’s another chance for me to be automatically disqualified.

Plus…if I put it on the application, I’d have to put the reason I’m no longer there. I don’t know if a company can investigate on their own and find out why I was fired, but I’m overly cautious about these sort of things, and I DO prefer to be honest.

But if being honest will keep me from getting a job, I’m not sure what to do.

Second, I’d like to get in touch with some recruiters and others that were reaching out to me around the time I accepted the job (meaning people that know I took the job).

Now, if I make something up (which I really don’t want to do, but feel that being honest would be even worse) – say, that I wasn’t a good fit culturally – I reckon they’ll be wondering why I wasn’t able to stick around past 2 months.

Is there something you think I could say to them that won’t make me look like a complete fool?

Third, the position involved a 90-day evaluation period, which is, technically I suppose, for both sides.
Is there a way that I can spin that?

Fourth…I was supposed to be in training for 3-6 months. I picked up a new industry certification, and did get exposed to a lot that I think would look good on a resume…and a lot of it is things I don’t think people are normally exposed to w/o working for an employer in the industry.

I take it just to leave that off the resume?

Finally - and I think this is a real long shot – I’d like to be able to use this person as a reference, because I think my work ethic and drive are really strong.

However, I have a feeling that my manager let one incident define me, and that nothing I’ll do can change his perception.

Do you think it’s worth reaching out to try to see if I can use him as a reference and speed up the search for a new job?

Like I said, it does feel like a long shot, but I’m in a pickle, so I’ll take what I can!

Ok, I realize this post went on far longer than I thought it would, so let me sum it up with some questions:

Question One: What do you think would be the best way to handle this position for either/both resumes and official applications (where you have to list your work history, reasons for leaving the job, and so on) ?

Question Two: How should I bring up the job loss to recruiters and people in my personal network who were helping me look for work, but know that I took the position? In other words, how should I explain to them why I’m not with that company after 2 months?

Question Three: Can I position the 90-day evaluation period in a positive way?

Question Four: I learned some things that I imagine people only learn on the job. Does this experience make it worth putting the job on a resume?

Final Question: Is there a way to persuade my former boss that what happened was an accident, and try to get him as an ally in the job search? (Or at least not give me a terrible reference if someone calls.)

The reason I’m asking is because I did work really hard to learn, and am excited about possibilities in the industry. Plus, nothing in the reasons for my firing involved my performance, or other general behavior employees value (showing up on time, not calling in sick, getting along with others, etc).

And if I could change his mind on me, I think it’d be very beneficial.

Thank you all so much for reading, and doubly thanks for answering any of my questions! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

PS - I realize there's a decent chance of overthinking this, as I'm prone to do. However, it really has - as irrational as it may sound to all of you - felt like this firing has defined me as an employee and will ruin my chances of getting another job in the industry...and make it harder to get any other type of work.

Please show me why I'm wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
To be honest with you, putting down "not a good fit" is possibly the worst thing you can put down. Why? Because everybody knows it's a placeholder for something else a lot more specific that probably isn't in your favor.

I'll tell you this. When I run across a candidate that uses the "not a good fit" line to explain a departure from a past job, I tend to skip right over them. Why? Because the real reason that the candidate is hiding might be something like severe deficiency in the necessary skills or something like that. There's no way for me to know.

My advice is just let the cat out of the bag and deal with it. At least you can let them know that your firing had to do with something else that wasn't job skill related.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 PM

Thanks for your response.

What would your advice be on having the position on the resume? Should I just leave the position off the resume, and only put it on the official application?

Yeah...I'll have to come up with some creative language other than "not a good fit".

Now, I'm sure I can come up with a way to explain it when I'm face to face with someone, but what I"m most worried about is getting past the gatekeepers.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good-usernames-are-gone View Post
Thanks for your response.

What would your advice be on having the position on the resume? Should I just leave the position off the resume, and only put it on the official application?

Yeah...I'll have to come up with some creative language other than "not a good fit".

Now, I'm sure I can come up with a way to explain it when I'm face to face with someone, but what I"m most worried about is getting past the gatekeepers.
Leave it off to get through the gatekeepers but bring it up in the interview. If you get an interview, then chances are something else about you caught their eyes and they are willing to give you a chance. Bringing it up will be seen as you making an honest effort to succeed.

That said, you're overthinking it. It probably doesn't matter that much. 2 months might as well be never. No one will care.

You want to avoid being seen as someone who makes excuses. "Not a good fit" is the worst excuse out there. Personally, I hate people who make excuses. Everyone makes mistakes. Just fix it. Don't do mental exercises to come up with excuses. If you're overthinking it to make up excuses for something as simple as a job that didn't work out in just 2 months, what kind of lie will you come up with for something bigger?

Please try to understand what I'm trying to convey. If you want hiring managers to trust you, you need to avoid overthinking things to come up with excuses. Hiring managers want to be able to trust the potential hires. As soon as they see that you have an excuse for everything, they will skip right over you.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
First, I realize that the employer can only verify that I worked there and the dates that I worked there.
FALSE!
Your former employer is free to disclose anything truthful about your employment with them.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
FALSE!
Your former employer is free to disclose anything truthful about your employment with them.
Their corporate policy is to only verify employment and dates of employment.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by good-usernames-are-gone
FALSE!
The myth that employers can only disclose dates of employment is a myth that just won't die. Myself and others have been trying to dispel this myth for years but people on this forum seem to be very insistence on continuing to believe this myth.

The myth says that employers can only confirm dates of employment and if they disclose anything else you can sue them. This is, of course, completely false. But again, people on here continue to cling on this belief. No idea why.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The myth that employers can only disclose dates of employment is a myth that just won't die. Myself and others have been trying to dispel this myth for years but people on this forum seem to be very insistence on continuing to believe this myth.

The myth says that employers can only confirm dates of employment and if they disclose anything else you can sue them. This is, of course, completely false. But again, people on here continue to cling on this belief. No idea why.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I thought so was because:

1. Recent employer said they'll only verify employment and dates
2. An employer from the past (that I left on good terms) said they would only verify that I worked there and dates.

If others have had similar experiences, I can see why it's a common belief. Plus, I imagine a lot of companies are very careful about what they say as a preemptive action.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I thought so was because:

1. Recent employer said they'll only verify employment and dates
2. An employer from the past (that I left on good terms) said they would only verify that I worked there and dates.

If others have had similar experiences, I can see why it's a common belief. Plus, I imagine a lot of companies are very careful about what they say as a preemptive action.
Think about it this way. Just because you met 2 people from East Asia telling you they don't eat meat doesn't mean everyone from East Asia don't eat meat.

Also, just because the told you they only verify employment and dates doesn't mean they will necessarily do so. It's not written in stone. There's no rule out there saying those are the only things they can say.

I fired a couple of knuckleheads earlier this year. If anyone ever calls me asking about them, you betcha I will tell them how much they screwed up my project with their incompetence.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Think about it this way. Just because you met 2 people from East Asia telling you they don't eat meat doesn't mean everyone from East Asia don't eat meat.

Also, just because the told you they only verify employment and dates doesn't mean they will necessarily do so. It's not written in stone. There's no rule out there saying those are the only things they can say.

I fired a couple of knuckleheads earlier this year. If anyone ever calls me asking about them, you betcha I will tell them how much they screwed up my project with their incompetence.
Point taken.

And honestly, if they mentioned the work ethic, drive to get better, always on time, always ready to help out, never complained, blah blah blah I wouldn't mind if they said the real reason.

Because if they gave the full story I imagine my chances of getting hired by someone else would be much higher, because they (potential employer) would see the good, and not just the stupid mistake.

And if they CAN say whatever they want, I guess I can't do anything about that.

And that's why I feel I'm in a lose-lose situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search