Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM

363 posts, read 433,341 times

Advertisements

I was contacted regarding a job almost a month ago. It's a recruiting agency for a big computer company. They gave me an interview then a test which I have passed, then they said the company offered me a job. I signed papers regarding a background check and they told me everything came out ok. I asked when I can start and they said within two weeks. It has been a week and I haven't received a call yet. Should I be worried? I was planning to wait until next week to check with them. I guess what I am asking is can you still not get the job even after you pass the background check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I would not worry until the time passed that they said (2 weeks). Call after 2 weeks.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Personally I wouldn't wait. I would call and ask them.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Was an official offer letter accepted and signed?

I went through an employment agency for my previous job, and I was given an official job offer as well as paperwork for drug test and background screening.

Kind of odd they said you could start in 2 weeks, but no offer letter?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Personally I wouldn't wait. I would call and ask them.
Calling them or not is tricky. I've personally known many hiring managers for big and small companies. I've gotten wildly different opinion on this.

A couple of them have told me they find the callers annoying. Some others have told me callers get more chances because it shows that they care. Some are indifferent about it.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Was an official offer letter accepted and signed?

I went through an employment agency for my previous job, and I was given an official job offer as well as paperwork for drug test and background screening.

Kind of odd they said you could start in 2 weeks, but no offer letter?

I am not really sure about the offer letter. All of our communication has been through email and phone. All of the signatures were also electrically. I do the background check since they emailed me to confirm it. After that I've received a call to confirm if I was a citizen and I told them I was a US citizen. That was our last call, it was also when they told I would start within two weeks. I don't want to call before the two weeks are up since I will have an excuse for calling.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Why don't you want to call? You are supposed to start a job in a week and know nothing.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I am not really sure about the offer letter. All of our communication has been through email and phone. All of the signatures were also electrically. I do the background check since they emailed me to confirm it. After that I've received a call to confirm if I was a citizen and I told them I was a US citizen. That was our last call, it was also when they told I would start within two weeks. I don't want to call before the two weeks are up since I will have an excuse for calling.
Didn't you get some e-mail with a formal job offer of some sort, the conditions/terms of the job, projected start date, salary, etc.?

When I got my previous job through an agency, everything was handled through the recruiter including phone interview/interview schedule, feedback, etc. The recruiter even called me to let me know I got the job offer, which I accepted verbally and he forwarded that to the company.

From there, I got my official job offer via e-mail from the company HR rep. There was an attachment to the e-mail (job offer letter) which I was to sign and then email back the signed printout. Also attached to the email were release forms for background check, etc.

Isn't that how these things normally work? What am I missing here? Or do some agencies just tell an applicant they got the job and they'll be starting in a few weeks, with no further information or communication? And with no contact from anyone at the company? I'm confused.

Something doesn't sound right. If it were me, I'd be calling the recruiter or agency for more information as soon as possible.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Didn't you get some e-mail with a formal job offer of some sort, the conditions/terms of the job, projected start date, salary, etc.?

When I got my previous job through an agency, everything was handled through the recruiter including phone interview/interview schedule, feedback, etc. The recruiter even called me to let me know I got the job offer, which I accepted verbally and he forwarded that to the company.

From there, I got my official job offer via e-mail from the company HR rep. There was an attachment to the e-mail (job offer letter) which I was to sign and then email back the signed printout. Also attached to the email were release forms for background check, etc.

Isn't that how these things normally work? What am I missing here? Or do some agencies just tell an applicant they got the job and they'll be starting in a few weeks, with no further information or communication? And with no contact from anyone at the company? I'm confused.

Something doesn't sound right. If it were me, I'd be calling the recruiter or agency for more information as soon as possible.

Actually, in my last job which was also through a recruiting agency, the company never really contacted me or sent me an email. Everything was done through the agency. There were also other offers where I agreed on the pay via email but they never called back. I guess it really depends on the agency or company. I will probably call on Monday or Tuesday to make sure if I hear nothing. I will let you guys know what happens then.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:37 AM

So, I received the call today and told me I will be starting Monday. Just thought I should let you guys know in case a similar situation comes up. Thanks for the answers, hopefully this job will be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search