U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times

Advertisements

Well, good thing I have solid references.

So no OP, its not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,289,400 times
I've done it. But they might get suspicious if you don't put down a work email or a office and cell number. What I've done before is used friends from work as supervisor references. A lot of companies don't check though. "Laid off". Looks suspicious though unless it was a widely known company.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 PM

3,869 posts, read 1,635,651 times
I've never had a need to do so, and I don't expect that I will. But if if was a choice between being unemployed or lying on a resume to get a job that I KNOW I can do well? Wouldn't bother me a bit.

I've been working full time for over two decades. Four different states and five different employers during that time... so I've been around. It's been my experience that MOST employers are honest only when it's convenient- and will not hesitate to lie, take advantage of people, etc. It's just the way business in America is done... and that's probably just as true in other countries.

Why would you handicap yourself when other people and employers don't?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,196,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I wonder if they list physical addresses on these dummy websites? If so and I was a prospective employer I would use google maps to verify the address and then compare that phone number to the one I was given by the prospective employee. Really would not take more than a few minutes.
Not if you give a reference's cell phone number which is fairly common these days.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
If you want a real career in the future, don't freaking do it. This WILL bite you in the arse one way or the other in the future.
I agree with your statement in principal, but in reality does anyone know someone who can't get a job any longer because they used fake references? I mean, is the word out on the street about them and they just can't get a job?

I'm going to guess that's not the case, because of prospective employee A gives company C a fake reference, it isn't like company C enters the faker into a fake database and this alerts all other companies.

After being in the work force for many years, references are kind of meaningless. Anyone who pays attention to this can collect good references along the way in their career and I'm not talking about from former supervisors either. So when a prospective employee gives a reference, they expect them to say great things about them.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Sure, go ahead. Any employer too stupid to make cursory checks of your background and social media, which would reveal you as a liar, has only itself to blame when your dishonesty works its way into your performance and attitude at the job.

Measure twice, cut once. A bad hire is the most expensive mistake an employer can make. Hiring a dishonest liar is the worst sort of that mistake.

You have a bright future ahead.
What is being overlooked, there are people who can lie their way into the company and still do a great job and no one finds out. Just because someone lies it doesn't mean they can't actually produce good results.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I do know personally of one person that used a fake job reference. He was currently contracted as a temp at the company he applied to and they verified the job reference and not only did he NOT get the job, he was terminated as a contractor.
Can you be more specific? Was the fake reference a job he never had for a company that didn't exist? Or was the fake job reference a former co-worker pretending to have been the guy's supervisor?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeinPhilly View Post
wow...makes it even harder on the more honest folks out here trying to get a job.
It might, but it has more to do with the demands for talent and the available labor pool. If there is a high demand for experienced Java programmers for a project, if they interview well they might not spend so much time with all the reference stuff. A friend of mine recently was hired and had great references, but none of them were ever contacted.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
How would you know they are fake, if they have a friend or family member, especially in the same industry answer the reference check?
Depends on the nature of the job. If you worked in IT, and this is your former IT supervisor, and you ask this fake reference a specific question like "What distribution of Linux did he maintain?", they can't BS their way out of that.

If you are talking about a fake check that you worked at a company, and only have to provide start and end dates, that would be easier.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:36 PM

105 posts, read 74,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Depends on the nature of the job. If you worked in IT, and this is your former IT supervisor, and you ask this fake reference a specific question like "What distribution of Linux did he maintain?", they can't BS their way out of that.

If you are talking about a fake check that you worked at a company, and only have to provide start and end dates, that would be easier.
Just give some corporate reason, like "Unfortunately, I can't give out specifics about their job. It is against company policy." Just blame it on someone else. That will stop them in their tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or