U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 06:52 PM

108 posts, read 81,816 times

Advertisements

I worked as an Executive Assistant/Medical Transcriptionist for 19 years (1993 to 2012), resigned on very good terms (my former boss Cheryl is my friend on Facebook and wrote a glowing recommendation letter...we still speak to this day), then I moved out-of-state in summer of 2012 to join my fiancé and we had a child about 10 months later. I have been a stay-at-home mom ever since. Now that my fiancé will be taking early retirement, I want to dip my toes back into the workforce (not because I have to, but because I want to). I want to work part-time in retail or clerical. Should I list the four-year work gap on my résumé by indicating that I chose to stay home with my child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 PM

10,072 posts, read 4,693,641 times
Leave it off from what all the advice I've been given (very limited though). If they ask about gap, you can explain it in interview. I just don't think it being on resume/application will be all that useful.

If it is just a "gap", you could just leave the years/dates off of the old job(s). Then they won't know when you started working/stopped until they ask at interview. In which case you can explain then. Just focus on the skills/duties you obtained and not the "job" itself. Since in theory you should still have those same skills from performing those duties.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:00 PM

13 posts, read 6,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Leave it off from what all the advice I've been given (very limited though). If they ask about gap, you can explain it in interview. I just don't think it being on resume/application will be all that useful.
Ditto. Somehow during the interview mentioning your skills at home may be convenient but you should rather make up something like being a freelancer at home occasionally so it doesn't look strange in your resumé, and you could even ask your friend that kind of "lift"

Then you could put something like

(NAME OF THE SAME COMPANY YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR PREVIOUSLY) - (2011- Present )

Freelancer medical transcriptionist (or any other position than could fit a freelance/at home developing), description of what you "did/do", bla bla bla.

Is weird to say that during four years you "did nothing" (because that's why they see it to be a housewife, because they are just that kind of cold hearted people) so just give any bananas they would find more convenient to hear.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,618,916 times
Under the last job you had, put reason for leaving blah blah blah.

Without an explanation, your gap will raise some eye brows. Whoever that is reviewing resumes might not even want to bother.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 879,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
I worked as an Executive Assistant/Medical Transcriptionist for 19 years (1993 to 2012), resigned on very good terms (my former boss Cheryl is my friend on Facebook and wrote a glowing recommendation letter...we still speak to this day), then I moved out-of-state in summer of 2012 to join my fiancé and we had a child about 10 months later. I have been a stay-at-home mom ever since. Now that my fiancé will be taking early retirement, I want to dip my toes back into the workforce (not because I have to, but because I want to). I want to work part-time in retail or clerical. Should I list the four-year work gap on my résumé by indicating that I chose to stay home with my child?
With this record, I would write, " sabbatical for pregnancy and childcare". If I were to review it, this would be in your favor. I am not sure about the retail market, but medical transcriptionist, yes!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,250,069 times
It is such a tough position to be in and everyone has a different way to handle it so you are going to get a lot of different opinions.

If you don't have anything in your resume over the last 4 years most people won't give you an interview.

If you have to apply online, you aren't going to be able to hide your dates/gap.

Now if you leave off dates to hide your gap on your resume that is a huge red flag and most won't give you an interview.

So that leaves you with putting down the last 4 years on your resume.

What did you do?

Employers are going to expect that you where very involved in your community, non profits, volunteering, got involved in groups etc..... they want to see that even though you where a stay at home mom, you had every intention on going back to work, so obviously a person like this held leadership positions, kept their skills polished, used their time to network etc.... if all you did is take care of kids, home, spouse, that is not good enough.

It is a HUGE uphill battle for stay at home parents that want go back to work and many never get hired and end up unemployable.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 AM

902 posts, read 535,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It is such a tough position to be in and everyone has a different way to handle it so you are going to get a lot of different opinions.

If you don't have anything in your resume over the last 4 years most people won't give you an interview.

If you have to apply online, you aren't going to be able to hide your dates/gap.

Now if you leave off dates to hide your gap on your resume that is a huge red flag and most won't give you an interview.

What did you do?

Employers are going to expect that you where very involved in your community, non profits, volunteering, got involved in groups etc..... they want to see that even though you where a stay at home mom, you had every intention on going back to work, so obviously a person like this held leadership positions, kept their skills polished, used their time to network etc.... if all you did is take care of kids, home, spouse, that is not good enough.

It is a HUGE uphill battle for stay at home parents that want go back to work and many never get hired and end up unemployable.

Good luck.
I am not sure where people get this stuff from. Unemployable? Not getting Interviews? Geez, I know stay at home parents (moms and dads) who had NO PROBLEMS getting back to work. They were stay at home parents, not felons, not drug addicts, not collecting welfare/unemployment etc. Even felons and drug addicts get jobs. But according to the internet forums most everyone is unemployable

Last edited by rocky1975; 02-28-2016 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,866,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

What did you do?

Good luck.
That's asinine and wrong.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:24 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,250,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
That's asinine and wrong.
Yet it happens. I work with stay at home parents looking for work every week. It is not easy. Lots of recruiters I talk to on a daily basis tell me they can't even get employers to look at resumes if the person has a gap longer than 6 months. Now imagine what employers think of someone who hasn't worked in years.

Most stay at home parents who find work quick do it through networking where someone they know just hires them because of who they are, not what their resume says. Lots of people aren't in that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or