Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 AM

20 posts, read 17,090 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm a pending permanent resident, married to an American and I'm moving to the US in June/July of this year. Right before this time I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I currently work as a mechanical engineer and by the time I move I'll have around 15 months experience. I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about finding a job over there. I am very eager to remain in my current industry as well (construction/agricultural equipment manufacturing).

Here in my city finding a job as a mechanical engineer was absolute hell, very little opportunity. I don't know if it's any better over there. I would be interested in working almost anywhere in the US at first but would like to settle somewhere in the South.

Currently I've been finding companies in my industry there and emailing them detailed cover letters explaining my situation and so on, and that I'll be available for work in July/August of this year. I've had a few positive responses, which basically say they have nothing available now but would contact me if they had an opening. Obviously I can't really be applying for job openings online due to my timeline. But is what I'm doing a good start, is there more I can do, can I be doing it better?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Are you using K1 or CR1?

Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM

CR1, my interview is in a month.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.M View Post
Hi folks,

I'm a pending permanent resident, married to an American and I'm moving to the US in June/July of this year. Right before this time I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I currently work as a mechanical engineer and by the time I move I'll have around 15 months experience. I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about finding a job over there. I am very eager to remain in my current industry as well (construction/agricultural equipment manufacturing).

Here in my city finding a job as a mechanical engineer was absolute hell, very little opportunity. I don't know if it's any better over there. I would be interested in working almost anywhere in the US at first but would like to settle somewhere in the South.

Currently I've been finding companies in my industry there and emailing them detailed cover letters explaining my situation and so on, and that I'll be available for work in July/August of this year. I've had a few positive responses, which basically say they have nothing available now but would contact me if they had an opening. Obviously I can't really be applying for job openings online due to my timeline. But is what I'm doing a good start, is there more I can do, can I be doing it better?

Thanks
I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Build your connections now, network with people remotely so they know who you are. I would also look at trade magazines and journals for job postings. When you put together your resume do not forget to add a section at the bottom that you are a Green Card holder.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:48 PM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
I would encourage you to not resign from your current job until you find a job there.

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Build your connections now, network with people remotely so they know who you are. I would also look at trade magazines and journals for job postings. When you put together your resume do not forget to add a section at the bottom that you are a Green Card holder.
Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of adding that to my resume. It looks a bit weird right now have no address of US phone number on it. Not sure how it come across if my cover letter stated my Australian residence but the resume listed my US postal (and future residential) address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I would encourage you to not resign from your current job until you find a job there.

Good luck!
I would do this, but with the way the visa process works, it's not quite feasible. My visa is granted in April, and I have 6 months from that date to enter the US, else I have to begin the process from scratch all over (it's taken 14 months so far). Also it would be dishonest taking a permanent full-time offer with my current company after I graduate to just leave weeks or months down the line.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of adding that to my resume. It looks a bit weird right now have no address of US phone number on it. Not sure how it come across if my cover letter stated my Australian residence but the resume listed my US postal (and future residential) address.

I would do this, but with the way the visa process works, it's not quite feasible. My visa is granted in April, and I have 6 months from that date to enter the US, else I have to begin the process from scratch all over (it's taken 14 months so far). Also it would be dishonest taking a permanent full-time offer with my current company after I graduate to just leave weeks or months down the line.
The reason I said to out in your resume that you are a Geencard Holder is so employers don't assume that you want a visa sponsorship which will most likely eliminate you from any consideration because mobody wabts to deal with that. The only exception is if the industry you are applying to is known for highring peole on visas.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 PM

You are too far out for most employers to consider for a junior role. Until,you have your Green Card stamped in your passport you do not have it.

Network, network, network. Use every contact you have through faculty and trade associations. Work your way through LinkedIn. Use the future in laws and outlaws. Get your resume up to US standards.

I generally advise sticking to the application verbiage which is something e,players are familiar with - legally authorized to work in the US. No need to confuse Miss X in HR.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:47 AM

In 2 weeks I've sent out 20 emails. On average I guess there's a 20% response rate. I have to wonder if attaching my resume to the email is a good idea or not. Maybe I should wait for them to request it, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The reason I said to out in your resume that you are a Geencard Holder is so employers don't assume that you want a visa sponsorship which will most likely eliminate you from any consideration because mobody wabts to deal with that. The only exception is if the industry you are applying to is known for highring peole on visas.
Yeah it's kinda awkward trying to get across "Hey, I'm in Australia but I don't need a visa so please keep reading" haha. Have you got any experience/recommendations on phoning as opposed to emailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You are too far out for most employers to consider for a junior role. Until,you have your Green Card stamped in your passport you do not have it.

Network, network, network. Use every contact you have through faculty and trade associations. Work your way through LinkedIn. Use the future in laws and outlaws. Get your resume up to US standards.

I generally advise sticking to the application verbiage which is something e,players are familiar with - legally authorized to work in the US. No need to confuse Miss X in HR.
Thanks for the advice, I figured as much. I'll try some of my American professors and see if that comes up with anything. The thing is that I am really attached to my industry. Not many are large enough for their own HR department. So I just send targeted emails to the owner/engineer of the business or if I can't find that, the generic email on the site. I try not to be too formal. I'm respectful but give off something of my personality at the same time. Folks in the South seem to like it so far.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I figured as much. I'll try some of my American professors and see if that comes up with anything. The thing is that I am really attached to my industry. Not many are large enough for their own HR department. So I just send targeted emails to the owner/engineer of the business or if I can't find that, the generic email on the site. I try not to be too formal. I'm respectful but give off something of my personality at the same time. Folks in the South seem to like it so far.
Get a standard email text together stating your professional and visa situation in 3-4 sentences. Use a cheap phone connection such as onesuit and call in. Ask who runs the department you are targeting. Make friends with the lower life forms such as admin/switchboard as you have an accent. Do a couple of dry runs in a market you do not target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search