Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Also is it worth applying to internships even though you've graduated?
I can't verify that for myself but my coach told me internships are only for people still in school and I have tried applying to internships in the past after graduating. I got no answer from them so I wonder if maybe she could be right.
I don't know you can try it for yourself. It won't hurt to just try. You probly will have better luck than me esp since you have more work experience than me. Maybe just don't put all your faith in it and just see where it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
There is fierce competition out there in the job market these days.

If the position is anything work applying for there is a good chance there will be upwards of 20+ applicants.

Yes, jobs are plentifully available but you will have to be darn near perfect to make it through the interview phases.

It is very much an employers market right now.

I sympathize with those that have been looking for work multiple months if not years.

It is definitely not easy out here.

Best wishes to those that are doing their best to find work.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM

853 posts, read 648,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I've been applying since October. I graduated in Dec. and am still looking. I know my situation isn't really THAT bad, but it's hard to push on applying. I'm so sick of it. I have pretty good savings, am living with my parents, and am doing landscaping now during the week. I sure as hell don't want to continue landscaping (far too hard of work for being the bottom rung of the construction).

My big issue is that I feel if I mess up this first job, if I go into an industry I'm really not interested in, I'm stuck. Around my area it's all customer service and wealth management, which is where most of my college and other acquaintances ended up and where my connections would be.

It would feel as though I'd throw my hard work at getting good grades and a Stats minor and a decently good internship at Xcel Energy out the window. I'd be in a mediocre field despite whatever I did in the past. If I mess this up, I mess up, in the future, it will be my experience, not my education, that defines me.

My plan is to push till the end of May. If I still don't have anything by then, I'll just take what I get. I have had 4 phone interviews and one 3 hour in person interview, so I guess my results haven't been terrible, but I still haven't got any offers.

Also is it worth applying to internships even though you've graduated?
Xcel Energy is actually a really good company. With this internship you should be able to land a god job. I wish I had the opportunity to do an internship there... Good luck by the way.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 10,557 times
Yes, I have. I am at my wits end. Sometimes, I feel the only option I have left is death

Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Philly View Post
Yes, I have. I am at my wits end. Sometimes, I feel the only option I have left is death
Never said that, come on, still fighting, don´t give up! I am in the same boat, soon or later we will land a job.

I have some questions tormenting me, I hope somebody can answer it...

Why the job market is asking primarily for Senior and Managers? Why employers are looking for that kind of profiles and seems that nobody wants Entry Levels? It seems that there is a big hole between university and employment, the education is not working properly to ensure you can start a career. Like in the past, to be a rich you needed to hold a Marquis or Duke title, nowadays you need to complete your degree with at least 3 years of experience. I could even understand this but what I don´t understand at all is why some job ads have endless job responsibilities and requirements? In some occasions I have seen employers that ask more than 15 computing programs, this is insane!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Never said that, come on, still fighting, don´t give up! I am in the same boat, soon or later we will land a job.

I have some questions tormenting me, I hope somebody can answer it...

Why the job market is asking primarily for Senior and Managers? Why employers are looking for that kind of profiles and seems that nobody wants Entry Levels? It seems that there is a big hole between university and employment, the education is not working properly to ensure you can start a career. Like in the past, to be a rich you needed to hold a Marquis or Duke title, nowadays you need to complete your degree with at least 3 years of experience. I could even understand this but what I don´t understand at all is why some job ads have endless job responsibilities and requirements? In some occasions I have seen employers that ask more than 15 computing programs, this is insane!
It's infuriating because I could never be the one that calls the shots..all I want to do is be told what to do and get paid for it but idk..I guess they already have enough entry level people so they don't need any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Philly View Post
I have thanatophobia so I could never do that but I feel that hopeless too. It sucks.
I'm sure you will find one though...I've just been looking for too long personally.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Definately a tough time. Ive been searching since layoff in July. I am certain that my age (56) has been a factor. Good to know Im not alone in this struggle but its been a real depressing time for me.

I have seen some of the other things people have noted:

Many many applicants for jobs. LinkedIn shows you the number if you are signed in. Many jobs with 30-40-50 and I have seen a few in triple digits. The highest was 468 applicants for an IT job a few months ago. And this is just the number who applied thru LinkedIn.

Many management and senior level jobs wanting a 4 yr degree + experience, few jobs for 2 yr degree + experieince.

Engineering jobs asking for a 4 yr degree + 5-10 years detailed experience, pay range 50-60K. In Ohio this is a mid 1990s salary for that job.

Entry level jobs asking for a long list of bullet points of experience, some even stating in the job description 1-3 years experience - for ENTRY LEVEL. Obviously the meaning of that term has become rather flexible.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Entry level jobs asking for a long list of bullet points of experience, some even stating in the job description 1-3 years experience - for ENTRY LEVEL. Obviously the meaning of that term has become rather flexible.
I have read somewhere else that Senior applicants are now applying for entry level positions in the US. This reminds me a similar problem we have in Spain, people that were laid off applying for entry level positions and even internships! I don´t know about the laws in the US but let me to know that in Spain is perfectly legal that any applicant can apply for even unpaid internships, it doesn´t matter if they are experienced, companies make a profit of them. This is the world we live in, survival of the fittest or just as I thought previously, low cost engineering.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 169,981 times
I am rooting for all of you to find work that will fulfill and support you.

Jorge and others, have you looked at recruiters or headhunters? I've gotten some good opportunities through them. Perhaps you can call on the phone or email a recruiter directly - the good ones will respond pretty quickly. Just be up front with what you have to offer and make your goals clear (what position job, what pay)

I have never done an internship and while they might be useful to some people, I personally have never been interested in them.

A few years ago, I was scrolling through LinkedIn and saw a job posting for a local clothing boutique. It was a Sunday night. I applied online and decided to go visit in person the next day.

When I arrived, dressed in trendy-business-casual, with a smile, I asked for the manager and introduced myself. I mentioned that I had applied online and was very interested in working there due to my interest and experience with fashion and customer service.

She very quickly answered that she had over 148 applications come in and had not yet even begun to look at them. I left her my number to call. She did in fact call and interview me, but never followed up and when I called to ask what to expect, she curtly replied, "We already hired someone" and hung up on me.

That experience saddened me but guess what? It is just one rejection that never defined me or had any other consequence. We have to deal with lots of rejection but do not let that bother you - trust me, it does not bother the employer. Just keep knocking on each door until one opens. I am dealing with finding work again in a very competitive and exclusive field - it's tough to gather the energy to keep going but we all have to- and we can do it!!

Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Thank you for sharing with us your experience, misstania, and I´m sorry you didn´t get the job. Sometimes is hopeless that you put all your best effort, you try to be the most kind person but everything fails. I am tired to read all those articles about success stories in Forbes or other related places which give the impression that is really easy to be successful nowadays, cry just a little and you will be hired in Fortune 500 companies. Unfortunately unicorns don't exist in my life. How many times I tried to cry a little without any result...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search