Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 01:55 PM

48 posts, read 90,844 times

Advertisements

I am very close to a job offer (presumptuous but true) and I can feel my work ethic starting to slip at my current position.

I really and truly hate the job and the fact that it "likely" won't matter in 2.5 weeks is intoxicating.

I dislike my current role so much that I very well may put a 2 week notice in even if I don't get the job (I have F.U. money aka 6 months living expense in savings).

I understand the old "burn bridges" proverb but I've always said that if I ever find myself needing a bridge to got back where I came from then I have bigger problems than how one random manager perceived my resignation.

How do I stay calm and focused during the homestretch? Should I put in a 7 day notice to help mitigate the potential damage? I've seen very high level directorship give 24 hour notice. I don't understand why associate level employees should be expected to take multiple weeks.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You just do. Keep pushing on. You don't even have the job yet! Wait for the offer and give your notice. You may be walked out instead of the company taking your two weeks.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I think that it would help if you stopped looking at your savings as "FU money." I'm sure that knowing you don't NEED to work the last two weeks is not helping your approach.

I would keep your head down and do your job until you know for sure. The LAST thing you want is to slack off and be told to step off.

Then give a 7-day notice if it helps. But I would give notice.

You can do it. I hope the job comes through.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Think about it for a few days before you do anything. Sometimes your mind comes up with alternatives.

Lots of people will tell you to stay at the current job until you get a new offer. One of the reasons is healthcare. Do you have a way to get healthcare while out of work? You either signup for COBRA or you have 30 days to signup to get health insurance via ACA web site or you can go directly to insurance companies and signup (blue cross in your state, for example).You can also signup via an insurance broker in your town. But you must signup within the 30 day window that is given when you have a life change event such as loss of a job(doesn't matter if resigned, fired or laid off).

On prior occasions, I had resigned from jobs prior to getting a new job. Once I was in your shoes and interviewing and I just couldn't take any more days off so I just resigned in order to interview for a better job. Got a new job within days of resigning. But this was pretty lucky and rare.

Other times I had resigned with plans to take several months off and then get another job. Luck again was on my side where I was able to get another job even when having a gap on my resume. But you must have money saved up in order to do this. Last thing you want is to run out of money.

Good luck to you. You need to give a few days thought (at least) before you make a decision because you usually cannot change your mind after you resign.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 PM

48 posts, read 90,844 times
I got the offer officially yesterday. 20k more than my toxic job. Some times you have to take risks. Thank you for the support guys!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDreams404 View Post
I got the offer officially yesterday. 20k more than my toxic job. Some times you have to take risks. Thank you for the support guys!
Congrats!! Whew!!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 AM

1,184 posts, read 719,929 times
Haha i know the feeling its like so good...I'd give one week notice no need for 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search